SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111725 - 10/14/02 06:16 PM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Isn't Ensonig made in America? (Not a great asset to our credit)Never liked that stuff, and never really cared WHERE something was made as long as it works right. Try to find a watch or TV or radio made in America. I saw a "Tommy Hilfiger" shirt that was an American flag last month .... I looked the lable, and it said "Made in India" go figure.

I'm very proud of my nation and the work we are capable of, but I will never buy a "lable" over quality. When we were kids in the 60's "Made in Japan" used to mean junk (not the SHIPS) .... now it's a plus to find such an item.

#111726 - 10/14/02 07:55 PM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Unk, you are so right!!!!!

Grandpa Doug

#111727 - 10/14/02 08:00 PM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
trtjazz Offline

On top of which we have become a global community inter-dependant on each other. A sort of financial symbiosis. In the US, we have moved from a manufacturing base to a technology base and sent the manufacturing abroad where the EPA does not apply....yet. I was speaking to a tool manufacturer about that at one point and he said they can go to Taiwan and 30 days later have the product from start to finish. He went on to say in the US it was not uncommon to spend 3 years trying to get through all the EPA and other red tape at 4x's the price for the same product, before they could ever produce 1 of them.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-14-2002).]

#111728 - 10/15/02 04:47 AM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
technicsplayer Offline

why Europe first?....
because they grant us the esteemed priviledge and honour to discover all the bugs before anyone else.

#111729 - 10/15/02 07:08 AM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Now why would they do that? OK OK so Holmes would say, 'Elementary my dear Watson'. You Englishman are so methodic.

#111730 - 10/15/02 08:00 AM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Let's see, here's a few scraps of info to throw into the discussion. Ensoniq no longer makes keyboards - they were bought out by Emu, another former US synth maker which is now owned by Creative Technologies (makers of the Sound Blaster) of Singapore. Emu is located near San Fransico but I doubt if their new keyboards are made there. Peavey used to make keyboards in the US but never did well in the market (I believe they are affiliated with General Music to some degree now). Former US maker Kurzweil was bought by Young-Chang and their products come from Korea now. Late news is that Bob Moog regained the rights to use his name again and will be making new Moog synthesizers so there's at least one US manufacturer to look to.

Even now as I shop for a new laptop I am finding that famed US makers Dell and Gateway are beginning to import their laptops and relabel them. No worries though - America will still make the best in movies and music plus bombs and Big Macs for a long time to come.

#111731 - 10/15/02 09:15 AM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
Sam Noels Offline

Loc: New York
OK... Never dreamed I will have more than a dosen of answers within a single day... Nice to see that...

Douglas Dean have a good point... We can not trust american products... Just look what's going on in the automobile industry... Would you buy Ford, GM, Dodge, or rather Toyota, Honda & Nissan? I could simple not understand why it is that way... Isn't it possible for domestic manufacturer to make the same things in better quality? I think it's time for a change...

Thank you everybody for your time. It's really appriciated!...

#111732 - 10/15/02 10:35 AM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
We live in a global society. It shouldn't take any longer to get to America then Europe.
No I wouldn't drive a Ford,GM, or Chrysler. I drive a Honda. Main reason: reliability and fantastic fuel economy.
What ever happened to that famous phrase,"good old American know how and ingenuity". Looks like it was adopted by the Japanese. Its a good thing Japan doesn't make fighter jets and sell them to Iraq.

#111733 - 10/15/02 11:10 AM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
trtjazz Offline

Star,
"What ever happened to that famous phrase,"good old American know how and ingenuity"

Are you kiddin' here? We "know how" to get other countries do the heavy lifting and pollute their side of the world with manufacturing.....and are "ingenious" enough to still make a heck of a profit in the process. God bless America....kinda brings a tear to your eye huh?
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-15-2002).]

#111734 - 10/15/02 11:30 AM Re: Why are most keyboards arriving late in U.S.?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Here is my $.02 and that is only my opinion so please read it in the spirit of light entertainment:

I believe that the American Market is a tougher one. First, the American consumer has the mentality of "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back." I have never heard that in Europe. I might be wrong, but my experience was, "if you do not like it, tough luck." So American conusmers complain a lot about quality and features and so on and so forth (and I am one of them. ) So manufacturer role the keyboards in other countries before the US to make sure that bugs are ironed out and that the American market is ready.

Second, American consumers look into specially the best features for the lowest price. In one sense, every person is like that... but that is specially true in American consumers. We ask the question, why should I pay this amount for this list of features. We buy keyboards from different stores to save few bucks. So in order for manufacturers to make profit, they consolidate the selections in the USA.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online