SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208776 - 10/16/02 10:59 AM Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
Well since most of you guys are going mad about the Tyros I thought I'd pay my local shop a visit and spend some time on the Tyros. I spent about 6 hours going through all the sounds and styles, the editing facilities, playing midi files etc you name it I checked it. All I can say, is that I'm not impressed with this one bit. I never like the PSR range and although the Tyros does sound slightly better it still isn't a patch on a Ketron SD1 or Genesys for sounds such as piano, guitars, sax, organs, strings brass and accordians.
The Yamaha speakers seem very poor quality and after ages adjusting them they still seemed too top end and had no punch compared to some other monitors I've heard.
I'm not saying everyone must go out and buy a Ketron or Genesys instead, it's each to their own taste. I just think that this keyboard is being hyped up in Synthzone when it's not the do all and end all of keyboards.

[This message has been edited by eyrec (edited 10-16-2002).]

#208777 - 10/16/02 11:26 AM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I can see your point!.. Man I can just see it now if the Tyros comes out and flops.... Honestly I think Yamaha may have taken some good advice from WE USERS this time when making this board. Granted this is no SD-1 or GEMS flagship, it is however a good step foward for Yamaha... I think this Tyros cold be a really big step in the right direction for Yamaha with their arrangers. Of course the hype is going to be high, but you have to consider how dedicated some of the players here on the forum are... Only time will tell... We just have to wait until these boards are in the hands of users and are out there performing with them...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#208778 - 10/16/02 12:10 PM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm prepared to say "I Told You So" and also prepared to say "Way to go Yamaha".
But only AFTER I spend my own time playing one. My money would be on "I Told You So".
DonM

#208779 - 10/16/02 12:21 PM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
DannyUK Offline

I know its wrong that people should judge on something before playing it, but i think i will give it a miss regardless especially when i would have to be travelling too far to try one out anyway. I just know i wont like it, its sounding too familiar to what ive experienced with the PSR8000. I initially thought that Yamaha had produced something special and totally different from anything before whilst at the same time to challange the likes of Ketron, but it appears not to be the case. I think that just by having a try would just reinforce my opinion that I will never trust/try any Yamaha product again UNTIL they can move on from the past.

If every single person here said WOW to the Tyros, then i know there was most definately something special, but theres too many indications that this kb is just another rehash of past PSR's with a face lift like it was with the PSR 510, 620, 7000 and 8000 for me.

I am a little annoyed with the review from the keyboard magazine i bought that made the Tyros sound like something only God could make and not man. It was just too good to be true. The dream lasted whilst reading the initial responses and downloading the numours great demos (like they all are when a kb is announced), but the reality is that there isnt really anything out there to challange my X1 (unless its from Ketron themselves).... Just my opinion of course

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 10-16-2002).]

#208780 - 10/16/02 12:36 PM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Is Yamaha being sued because you ( the player)could not duplicate the demo's of mega voice technology with your own hands .

Simon of svpworld made a post about this , perhaps he could clarify . dano

#208781 - 10/16/02 01:49 PM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
And there's another thing . . . All manufacturers put in these 'multi voice technology' demos on their boards and, when they make them available on their websites to us poor peons of the limited eight fingers and two thumbs variety who, by our very nature, haven't a snowball's chance in hell of duplicating them, would that not be misleading and false advertising?

#208782 - 10/16/02 02:16 PM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
trtjazz Offline

Considering everyone knows that this is the case....I doubt there could be a successful law suit brought against them. All they are doing is trying to show off the board.

It's somewhat ludicrious to me to talk about suing manufacturers over an issue like this. It is akin to listening to a great piano player playing a Steinway Grand, buying one myself and then suing Steinway because I can't play it as well as the demonstrator did.
Terry

#208783 - 10/16/02 02:19 PM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
eyrec Offline

I could play the guitar sounds easily enough on the Tyros and using the pitch bend you can create something that sounds acceptable, but, the intros using mega voices are always going to be better. I just prefer the SD1 for guitars as I can get some awesome guitar sounds and effects by editing the presets and using the volume pedal set to the wah effect (this has been mentioned before on here). This combination has actually had people listening to me perform and whilst at my local club, asking if I have a real guitar recorded on minidisc or CD - that really annoys me as I play 100% live, but it must be realistic for them to say that, so I just invite them onto the stage and play something without any styles running and watch their faces drop.

#208784 - 10/16/02 02:26 PM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
svpworld Offline

A member of our group, from taiwan I believe went to visit his local dealer to enquire about the delays in shipping the tyros. Apparently his yamaha dealer told him that yamaha were holding back shipping of the tyros because of a legal challenge from other concerned parties as to yamaha's claim to the tyros demos and voices being a true representation of the keyboard itself. He (our member) went on to say that 90% of the sounds didnt actually exist in the keyboard and were played on real instruments and converted to midi data, and could not be replicated on the tyros because the sounds didnt exist!

Personally this sounds a load of rubbish to me. It is a well known fact that the guitar styles were recorded using a GR50 midi guitar convertor and a session guitarist, Yamaha have said this on their official website. It is a well known fact that many of the demos we hear on keyboards could not be easily if at all replicated without resorting to external sequencers and perhaps even midi controllers. The demos are intended to showcase the voices of the keyboard which they do very well. I dont believe that the demos are digital audio recordings stored in the keyboard for one minute, the storage required would be too excessive. They are indeed midi sequences but perhaps a bit more sophisticated that what many of us could achieve ourselves.

There are already many rumours going around as to why the TYROS is taking longer than expected to hit the stores. Someone also suggested it was a problem with the case mouldings, we have heard that the music database has problems and requires updating, and so on. Another member of our group contacted yamaha and spoke with them, they denied any such rumours.

That's basically the situation at the moment, for further discussions on these matters please join the discussion group at www.tyrosworld.com.

Regards
Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#208785 - 10/16/02 02:27 PM Re: Tryos - why are people going crazy over this
Queen Offline

Loc: Here
I think the Tyros is going to be a winner partly due to good advertising/vibes and hopefully good support from Yamaha. And of course, in arranger terms, it'll be among the top 3.

While writing, next year will likely see the release of new Korg and Roland top-of-the-range boards. It'll be interesting to see those, especially Korg's, as they didn't do an i30 follow-up due to the Karma.

I may just wait....

Q.

p.s. About the demo's and the legitimacy of those. Well, we all know they're done using controllers/computers sequencers and made by very talented programmers/musicians (in that order). 99% of all keyboard demo's can be achieved with a lot of time and effort, but 99% of us don't have the necessary technical knowledge to put them together in that fashion. Programming is probably more apt.

[This message has been edited by Queen (edited 10-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Queen (edited 10-16-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online