SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#111545 - 12/11/04 07:01 PM Anoter teckie question
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
All I could find at Radio Shack was a MONO (1/8")eighth inch male to a quarter inch male cable for connecting my laptop to my mixer (PA, whatever). That will work OK for my Carvin Acoustic amp.

Now, where can I find a cable that has a stereo eight inch male to plug into the laptop with two-quarter inch male jacks to plug into my stereo two jacks into channel 7 or channel 8 for stereo with pans on my Makcie mixer?

It seems all Radio Shack has in stereo is an eight-inch male to two female RCA jacks. I tried this with adapters. It gave me trouble at Don’s in October. Radio Shack doesn’t have an eight-inch male stereo to two-quarter inch male jacks.

I hope one of you old farts can help me out here. Don? Dave? Gary? Donny?
Any young people's help who might be here would be appreciated too!
Boo

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 12-12-2004).]

#111546 - 12/11/04 07:22 PM Re: Anoter teckie question
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Old Fart! I resemble that remark.

Boo,

What you need from Radio Shack is a headphone extension that has a 1/8-inch stereo plug at one end and a 1/4-inch stereo female at the other end. Then, go to the music store and buy an effects cable, also known as an In/Out Cable. It has a 1/4-inch stereo male at one end and splits to two 1/4-inch, mono, male plugs at the other end.

Another problem solved by Mr Wizard

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#111547 - 12/11/04 10:58 PM Re: Anoter teckie question
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Boo...
I would like to reply on behalf of the young people. I would like to, but......
Eddie

#111548 - 12/11/04 11:41 PM Re: Anoter teckie question
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Boo ..... how long do you want it? Hosa makes them. You don't have to use connectors or male to female cables. Just get the right configuration from a music store. I have tons of them with different ends. ( 1/4", 1/8" etc...)

Now, about that 8 inch male ...... you switching gears??

#111549 - 12/12/04 06:47 PM Re: Anoter teckie question
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary,

I don't want to use adapters anymore. Trouble starts and I don't know where to look. Don was smart enough to dig a cable out of his gear and get me going.

Dave,
I'm gonna go through my WW&BW, Music 123 and Musiciansfriend catalog and look for what I want. If you get a minute and can locate one in one of the catalogs, maybe you could email me and let me know an item number that I can order one, pretty please?

Man it seems simple even to a non-techie like me, but the Radio Shack guy acted like there was no such monster.

A simple 1/8" male stereo jack to whatever it takes on the other end to work in my Mackie.

Dave, Gary, the two 1/4" jacks should be mono, one right and one left eh?
thanks again,
Boo

#111550 - 12/12/04 07:22 PM Re: Anoter teckie question
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep, the 2 1/4-inch plugs should be mono, and the 1/8-inch plug should be stereo. Radio Shack does not have this cable, and they do not carry effects cables either. I've never seen one in a music store and suspect you'll have to have it custom made.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#111551 - 12/12/04 07:29 PM Re: Anoter teckie question
Dnj Offline

#111552 - 12/12/04 08:33 PM Re: Anoter teckie question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, I have several. Hosa makes them.
DonM

#111553 - 12/13/04 04:37 AM Re: Anoter teckie question
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I am fortunate to live in Preston, Lancashire (UK), within 2 miles of a major-league UK electronics distributor called CPC. They definately stock this type of adapter, cable lengths up to 10m. under the brandname "ProAudio" (which is a bit optimistic, it's looks budget to me) but they look very much like products of korea / china / tiawan so I'd expect them to be findable.

I have to agree that adapters = bad news, but if you have no choice you can find some serious quality 1/8 jack to phono cables in the "Home Cinema" sections; then get some phono-jack adapters.

#111554 - 12/13/04 04:39 AM Re: Anoter teckie question
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
On second thoughts, if all you can get is 1/4 to phono, stuff the phone-jack adapters. Get some decent 1/4 jacks and unleash the soldering iron!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online