SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#111521 - 03/24/07 01:48 PM What is best way to save individual pages from PDF & scanning?
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I want to save individual pages in digital format from primarily PDF and scanned material or ??.

I want to be able to have a clear hard copy and also have the digital copies in the best shape for possible use with MusicPad Pro or laptop and to also have clear printed copies.

What is the best format to save these in? I assume it will be jpeg? Any special settings or tips on this?

Is there any good and hopefully free program where I can have a slide show type thing using the arrow buttons or other commands that I might want to program, be able to fill the entire screen, rotate and any other things that would be good to have.

What about being able to annotate?

If I decide to print the copies on both sides of the paper does anyone have a clue as to how thick the paper should be or any other stats that I should consider?

Any other tips on how to best set this up on my computer greatly appreciated.

Best
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 03-24-2007).]

#111522 - 03/24/07 03:21 PM Re: What is best way to save individual pages from PDF & scanning?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Scott, is this what you're looking for? I use it and it works just fine.
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

#111523 - 03/24/07 03:30 PM Re: What is best way to save individual pages from PDF & scanning?

Hi cassp

I don't know. Good question. I'm thinking for this I'd need to have an index and kind of jump back and forth to get where I want to get.

Tell me how you use it. I'd be interested to hear.

I was thinking that saving anything from PDF's or scanning or whatever else there might be, might be easiest to deal with if I saved the sheets in individual pages. Maybe jpeg. Then I could go to the folder that contains all the tunes which would automatically be in alphabetical order and will continue to be that way as I add new tunes.

To look things up quickly, I figured I could go to the folder of individual sheets, type in the 1st letter of the song and then rapidly scroll to the desired song and open.

Is there any advantages or disadvantages between what I am thinking and saving in a pdf "book"?

Would one have a clearer pic over the other?

I'm all ears )

#111524 - 03/24/07 05:36 PM Re: What is best way to save individual pages from PDF & scanning?
cassp Offline

Cute PDF is just another program that will save documents in PDF format. I think you want to do more than that.

Have you looked at Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? It's probably resident on your computer. It's similar to the Kodak EasyShare software. http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/150/130&pq-locale=en_US

They both catalog folders of jpg's or other extensions. They also permit some editing. The bigger photo programs, like Windows Digital Image Pro10 and Nero PhotoShow may do the same and more, but I would start with the Picture and Fax Viewer if you have it. You may find it does everything you want - I think.

Good luck. Keep us up-to-date, as I think many of us are thinking along similar lines. I'm just not to that level yet.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 03-24-2007).]

#111525 - 03/24/07 06:00 PM Re: What is best way to save individual pages from PDF & scanning?
cassp Offline

Scott, I find that the PDF files are much more compact than .jpg files, but a PDF book seems difficult to page through. I would think PDF would be the most memory-economical way of dealing with music sheets if you could solve the page thing.

If this is so, then CutePDF would be a good, free program to use to create pages and books. Scanning all that music is the big obstacle for me - who wants to do that? I've downloaded the fake books mentioned in previous threads, but I have 7 other bibles and ring binders of copies and sheet music that i would want included if I did this. I think I'll stay in the 'old times' for this.

#111526 - 03/24/07 09:47 PM Re: What is best way to save individual pages from PDF & scanning?

cassp

I hear ya, as far as doing it the old way. Paper. There's a lot to be said about that, especially since the guys that have gone digital all bring their books anyway in case they are outside or inside as far as that goes in direct sunlight, not to mention the possiblities of the device not working properly, dropping it, or what about you take a break and when you come back it's gone. So, then, really, what advantage is it if you have to bring all your books AND the MPP or laptop? (Being the devils advocate here only)

That being said, I can see the possiblity to having some advantages going digital. They are obvious, and I suppose some not so obvious things that you won't recognize until you're in the thick of it.

Either way, as long as I am going to expand my list of songs to keep things fresh, more for me but including the audiences, I figure I ought to have the digital images to work with if I want to ever print more than once and also be able to go digital without having to redo the whole kit and caboodle.

So that's why I'm asking all the novice questions now rather than get going, maybe even finish it and find out it won't work the way I wanted it to. (Course there's always the possiblity that anyway we do it now will become outdated and extinct with new technologies emerging all the time) (The devil made me say it)

Right now I am experimenting with a free program I downloaded at cnet.com

It's called Wildbit Software Veiwer 4.7. I'm sure there were others, but this would be something to diddle with for awhile to get more used to knowing the in's and out's.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 03-24-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online