SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#111221 - 07/28/01 12:23 AM SD1: Fact Finding Questions !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Can someone tell me a website (or email me) the "listing" of all the 'styles' and 'sounds' included in the Solton SD1? I tried searching via Google but had no luck.

Does the SD1 'readily' read Solton 'X1 format' arranger styles? If not, can they be successfully converted to SD1 format? What is the quality of X1 styles played on the SD1?

How about styles from other keyboard brands(Technics, Yamaha, Roland, Korg etc) which have been converted to Solton X1 format using EMC StyleWorks Universal software? Will these "converted to X1 format" styles play and sound good on the Sd1?

Does anyone (Fran?) know 'when' EMC will add support for the Solton SD1 to "StyleWorks Universal"?

Which arranger 'style disk' manufacter(s) produce & sell styles for the SD1?

Thanks, - Scott

#111222 - 07/28/01 02:55 AM Re: SD1: Fact Finding Questions !
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Scott,
maybe I'm not the right person to answer your questions, but here is the answers I've got about this things when I was at the SD1 demo:
X1 formats don't load very successfulli in the SD1 yet, but there are new flash os-update on the way to handle this convert into the new filestructure.

As you already might have experienced, the playing/sound of converted styles is not as good as the originals, but with some work it is possible to get it pretty close up to it.
To make a program who cope to convert every setting needed, such as DSP effects and other various native settings is not going to be easy, if possible at all.
But things happen fast, so who knows. Anyway, EMC is a OK tool to make things more easy.

I got a answer on a e-mail from EMC that there is a new version who hopefully will be ready after this years summer, but if this including the latest kboard-models, I don't know.

Ketron will probably have styledisks, and also Midi-Spot I guess......

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#111223 - 07/28/01 05:41 AM Re: SD1: Fact Finding Questions !
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
X1 styles play fine in Sd1 . You do have to twwek the volumne levels . In some cases the X1 styles sound better on the SD1 . Ketron has always had a great selection of styles for use on their products . Dan o
Ps... All converted styles will play after using MS style covert feature .

#111224 - 07/28/01 06:38 AM Re: SD1: Fact Finding Questions !
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
SD1 has a style converter built-in that converts X1 & MS styles to the new SD1 format. When you load a X1 or MS style, it tells you to first convert the style before loading it. I don't really like this; I think it should convert the style automatically when you load. To convert the styles, you go to a different menu and convert the styles one at a time. This is very time consuming, there should be an option to convert all styles in a folder instead of selecting 1 at a time.

The quality of the converted styles are generally good or better (because of better sounds). The only thing to tweak is the volume levels. I have converted over 200 styles and they all sound good.

The SD1 comes with 307 styles on board. 198 of them are in ROM. 109 of them are in flash memory that you can modify or overwrite with your own styles. You can access the styles by pressing one of the style group buttons. There are 12 groups (buttons); 8 beat, 16 beat, Pop & funk, Country, Party, Rock & soul, Swing, Latin, R & Roll, Folk, Dance Orchestr / Ethnic. After a style group button is pressed, the screen displays 10 styles per screen that you can select from. Some group has up to 4 screens of styles.

You can also load styles from the hard drive into RAM memory (up to 64 styles at anytime). The styles can be called up into the RAM one by one, or they can be loaded in a block of 32s.

Ketron has many style disks for X1, SD1 versions will be available soon.

Henry

[This message has been edited by Henry01 (edited 07-28-2001).]

#111225 - 07/29/01 07:23 AM Re: SD1: Fact Finding Questions !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks for valuable info guys, but I'm STILL looking for a detailed listing of all the SD1's sounds & styles (307). Can someone send this to me?

#111226 - 07/29/01 09:31 AM Re: SD1: Fact Finding Questions !
Roel Offline

Scott,

I did some 'scanning' last night and I will finish it tonight...... I'll send you the listing asap !

I can live with the current 'sycrts' !
(Scott Yee Chord Recognition Test Release)
so don't worry my friend.

Roel

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online