SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1109 - 06/15/03 03:59 PM The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Llyren Offline

Anybody got any tips on turning those thin, whiny digital saw waves into a nice fat OB-Xa analog sound? Nothing I try - effects, chorus, messing with the TVF, LFO's - works at all.

I'm using a Roland XP-80 with the Vintage Synth expansion board, if that helps.

#1110 - 06/16/03 01:20 AM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The quickest way to create the sound you need is by starting with a preset that is at least close to what you are looking for. The "Jump" sound is in the synth brass category. So audition some of your synth brass type presets then when you find one that is close to the sort of sound for playing the "Jump" line, and then tweak the synth parameters until you find the tone you are looking for. Apart from saving you a lot of time you will also learn from existing patches and the tweaking will give you a feel for what each of the parameters do.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 06-16-2003).]

#1111 - 06/18/03 05:23 AM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Llyren Offline

Well, I know what all the parameters I'm messing with actually do. The problem is I can't find a way to manipulate those parameters to get a sound that rich. The modulation on the XP-80 all seems too fast, and every sound comes out without that sort of fuzzy "breaking" in the wave. Anybody have any ideas?

#1112 - 06/18/03 08:25 AM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Not too familiar with the XP-80. Are you able to set individual gains for the parameters. I've got the sound for it created within my T3, no distortion, but I had to really tweak the individual gains on each parameter, particularly the Brass blend.
Just my thots....

#1113 - 06/19/03 07:16 AM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Llyren Offline

What settings did you modify? (Cutoff seems to work well, but then there's not enough bass in the sound.)

#1114 - 06/19/03 08:22 AM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Let me check and I'll get back to you. My keys are at my rehearsal place right now. Gimme a day or two. ..L

#1115 - 06/19/03 01:41 PM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
danb Offline

This is a simple thing. There's a lot of that SAWTOOTH sound in many synths. What I did was layered 2 voices or program then set the other one to a lower octave.

Dan

#1116 - 06/21/03 07:54 AM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Llyren Offline

I tried the octave-layering technique. It made it sound like two thin, cheezy digital saw waves instead of one.

The trouble is ridding the sound of that "smoothness" that all digital synthesizers seem to have...

#1117 - 06/21/03 12:18 PM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Use two identical sounds (sawtooth eg) and detune each slightly for fattness. That was the key to the mimimoogs' success, only with THREE sources.

#1118 - 06/22/03 03:14 PM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Llyren Offline

Do you mean detuning as in setting the pitch a fraction of a step off, or as in applying a random-wave LFO to constantly change the pitch in fractions of a step?

#1119 - 06/22/03 03:51 PM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
I think he means a static fraction of a step.

#1120 - 06/22/03 07:32 PM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
MRT is correct. eg: take sound 1 and raise the pitch by 3 or 4 cents, then take sound 2 and LOWER it by the same ammount. That fattens up the sound and adds "color".

#1121 - 06/22/03 10:20 PM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Llyren Offline

I could hear an substantial increase in fatness by the time I was up to layering not 2 but 32 detuned waveforms, but by that time my polyphony was starting to run out pretty quickly...

#1122 - 06/27/03 10:54 AM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Llyren Offline

I messed around with it a little more and managed to achieve a pretty good version of the sound, considerably close to the original. Thanks, you guys!

#1123 - 07/04/03 12:39 AM Re: The classic question: Achieving the "Jump" sound
Anonymous
Unregistered

yup yup I think danb bullseyed it first but do we know exactly what the obie sound is ? that piping swirly richness. Yeah it is a detuning (technically a chorusing), but it's more than that the obie circuit places the second modulation slightly out of phase in time and in amplitude as well as frequency which was unanimously agreed upon above posts.
Eb Eddie also has a DDL of roughly 230-250ms @~15-20% feedback on that delay with the effects' overall inital repeat less than 25% of dry. That makes for a dryer enhancing effect for that sound without it really sounding greasy at all. Really, (when in time)a great delay for any wave with a sharper edge. No doubt one of Mr.Templetons sonic masterminds brews, if not his E flatness himself!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online