SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110517 - 08/08/07 05:11 AM I wish I had never sold my...
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
What keyboard did you, at one time, own but sold (for one reason or other) and now miss and regret selling?

I'll start by mentioning two:

I wish I had never sold my Technics KN6500. It was a great looking board, fun to play, LOTS of buttons, huge flip-up control panel with a super-wide color screen. One unique feature was the Performance Pads, which not only allowed you to insert short sequenced phrases, but also pad 6 and 7 contained complete solos - one major and one minor - and were programmable. This board's main weakness, in my opinion, was the drums...not dynamic and far from 'in your face'. Unfortunately I gave this board up to be replaced by a KN7000, which was Technics last major keyboard and it was not much of an improvement over the more compact and cool KN6500. (and way too costly) Eventually, I ended up selling the KN7000 to Uncle Dave.

I also wish I had never sold my Roland VA7(sold it to Fran) I miss its versatility, great drums, and style morphing. And it was built like a tank. One thing I don't miss - the VariPhrase processor - it never seemed to live up to the hype.

Even though these boards now represent 'old technology' I think I would still enjoy playing them today.

Tim

[This message has been edited by CoasterTim (edited 08-08-2007).]

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#110518 - 08/08/07 06:18 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I do miss the DisCover5 I sold to buy my G70. It had many of the same features in a sturdy 61-note body. It re-energized my interest in playing and recording. To do it over again, I might keep it and not buy the G70. Well, maybe...

I also miss the Roland U20. Not an arranger, but a sweet keyboard with some of the best orchestral samples I've ever heard. Loved that trumpet and those fat strings.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 08-08-2007).]

#110519 - 08/08/07 06:21 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
Dnj Offline

There are many Older arranger KB's that are Very Usable today......& you can get them for a fraction of the original price they were released at years ago...if you miss these older boards just do a search for them & I'm sure you can find one somewhere or put out a "WANT TO BUY" adv. on a few forums. Dont let the "NEW" technology hype put a damper on your wish list, Although I have a TOTL Ketron Sd1+,I just picked up a 8 yr old Roland E600 ( i have no idea why ) which sounds terrific ....just get what you want, play it & enjoy it, believe me they are all still out there

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-08-2007).]

#110520 - 08/08/07 06:30 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
So Donny, are you and Fran connected at the fingers, or what?

#110521 - 08/08/07 06:41 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
Dnj Offline

Cassp, Fran & Dave are my dear friends...
or commonly known as the "Three Amigos" around these parts,we've been horse tradin', mixin & matchin gear for years on top of being best friends who just happen to all be Pro Musicians giggin the tri-state area! In this game once you learn how to ween off the sheets & lyrics, mix & match equipment you'll be a better well rounded versatile performer.
Thanx for asking

#110522 - 08/08/07 07:20 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
For me.., several boards. I miss the old M1, and DX7. I also miss the Casio MZ-2000.

Talked to a guy the other day who found a mint condition Yamaha DX-27S that was owned by a family member and was rarely used. Seriously thinking about picking that up. It's no DX-7, but the 27S model was pretty cool. I could be wrong, but pretty sure it's from around 1985. I think the DX-21 and DX-27S were the only models with analog chorus. Anywho, the guy says he'll sell it cheap--of course my definition of cheap may be different from his
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#110523 - 08/08/07 08:04 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
A Hammond B2 with leslie and added percussion. It was a bit road warn but sounded good. I spent many hours stripping and completely refinshing it with a high gloss finish. The small house I lived in at the time didn't have enough room for a 5 foot 8 grand piano and a B2 so it had to go. I paid $600 for it and sold it after 2 years for $600. What's that they say about hindsight being 20-20.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-08-2007).]

#110524 - 08/08/07 08:10 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I always need to justify buying new gear by selling off my older gear...

I wish I could get away from this concept...There have been so many great keyboards that I have owned, and wish I still had them..
I often revisit this gear via purchasing from others..the same models...but it is not the same as my "baby'd" gear..

If I had to just name a few boards I wish I kept..they would include Yamaha DX7, Roland JX10, Roland D70, Roland XP80, Roland G1000, and Ketron X1...

I really wish I were like Captain Russ...I would have kept hundreds of the boards I have owned... Accordions, organs, and virtually every keyboard made....

#110525 - 08/08/07 08:24 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I had the XP-60 Fran... That too was a great synth, but suffered from a sequencer glitch when using the "wait note" feature. When you set the loop on.., once the synth returned to the top of the loop the first beat was a bit distorted. Drove me nuts too. Roland said there was no fix for it. This was back in 1998 or 99 too.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-08-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#110526 - 08/08/07 08:40 AM Re: I wish I had never sold my...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don't miss any of the old keyboards I owned...and there were a lot of them...they all served their purpose for the time, but the new stuff does more.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online