SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#110420 - 02/27/02 04:49 PM 9000 Going Back
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
After trying the 9000 for a few weeks I'm going to return it to Guitar Center. They are probably not going to like me very much.

I tried very hard to like the 9000 better than my X1. I absolutely loved the vocal harmonizer and vocal processing. It is extreamly simple and easy to use, and it sounds very good.

I thought the guitars were of great quality. I can see how someone who does a lot of country such as DonM would like the guitars. I thought they were very good.

I liked the organs too. They were pretty good sounding. I thought the Leslie simulation could be better but the organs were very good.

There is soooo much support out there for the Yamaha. All kinds of styles and stuff.

Yet in just about every other area I still prefer the Solton. Even with the changes that Donny recommended I still thought the styles were lifeless. The brass and woodwinds sounded much better than the 2000 but still (in my opinion only) not nearly as real as the Solton's.

For me the buttons for intros fills and variations are placed just right on the X1.

I know the 9000 is a great keyboard it just didn't impress me enough to part with my X1. I know that 10 years ago I would have given my eye teeth for a board that was this good.

Some people prefer Fords and some Chevys. I guess I'll just wait for the next generation of keyboards to come out.

The thought of the SD-1 is interesting. My Guitar Center doesn't stock it, too bad .........

Regards,

Tom

Tom

#110421 - 02/27/02 05:04 PM Re: 9000 Going Back
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Tom,
Did you like the fell of the buttons that select "voice ,style,ect.? What I mean is are they real button switches or just dimple switches. Thank you for your help!
jedi

#110422 - 02/27/02 05:10 PM Re: 9000 Going Back
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Dimple switches on both. I did like the feel of the Solton's keys better. Also by default even the organ voices are touch sensitive. They weren't on the Yamaha.

Tom

#110423 - 02/27/02 05:34 PM Re: 9000 Going Back
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Tom, I seen your name credits on the TV show "ED"..I didn't know you were a TV star..

#110424 - 02/27/02 06:15 PM Re: 9000 Going Back
Dnj Offline

Tom,

Sorry the 9k unit wasn't for you. I would suggest you somehow try out a SD-1 or buy from a place with a return policy. The new SD-1 layout is better then the X-1 and you still get all the great sounds/styles in a better overall navagational package.

#110425 - 02/27/02 06:21 PM Re: 9000 Going Back
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply, I`ve been trying to find out about the panel switches for a while now, Big help, BTW have you seen or played the Gem WK8SE? I did hear that they have "real switches" and keys that do not feel "spongy", But on a KB one of the most important sounds for me would be "organ sounds" and I`ve read that the wk8se uses real B3 samples.
Any way thanks again
jedi

#110426 - 02/27/02 07:01 PM Re: 9000 Going Back
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Tom....I think you made the right choice!! For my money the X1 is super. I have the SD1 and also prefer it over the 9000. The Yamaha is a quality pro keyboard but the SD1 is something special, at least to me it is.

#110427 - 02/28/02 04:43 AM Re: 9000 Going Back
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tom,
I saw THIS one comming. There are a lot of things about the 9k and the pro that make it stand out over the smaller psr units, but the sound is not a HUGE difference. Mostly access and construction.
Too bad you're not happy - now you know how I feel. I doubt that I will ever REALLY be satisfied with my setup. The X1 was the last thing that really excited me alot, but as soon as I realized the shortcomings, and decided that it was not for me - I had to part with it immediatly. As soon as I KNOW that I'm not keeping a board - it HAS to go. FAST. Life's too short to play keyboards that make you crazy !
(That's why we have WOMEN !)
>
>
>
>
HOLD ON girls! - That was high praise ..... sort of an "uncle-ism". I adore women, but they DO make me crazy !

#110428 - 02/28/02 06:45 AM Re: 9000 Going Back
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Jedi - No I haven't tried the Gem keyboards.

Fran - I've been telling my wife that I'm a star for 30 years now.

Donny & JC - I would like to try the SD-1. I'd better not order one from Guitar Center right now. I don't think I'm their favorite person.

U.D. - The X1 really is a good fit for me. I don't use it in the same manner as you do. On solo - trio work I use the arranger all the time. To me the X1's shortcommings are its fair to poor acoustic piano, fair guitars, and good but hard to understand vocalizer. It has never given me any trouble since I sent it in for a tune-up, I've never run out of notes, I can plug bass pedals into it and play it like an organ, and to me the overall sound (styles, drums, and voices) is pretty good. I wanted to like the Yamaha, I wanted the assurance of Yamaha reliability, there is great support and a ton of styles available for the Yammaha on the internet, and there are great guys on this forum that play them and are willing to help if needed, but in the end the 9000 left me uninspired.
U.D. did you get rid of the 9000pro?

Donny, Fran, U.D., my wife and I are thinking of going to NYC for our 30th anniversary sometime after May when she is done teaching for the school year. If this works out maybe I could actually meet you folks. Donny already invited me to his dance club so I could hear how the 9000 is supposed to sound.
If this becomes a reality maybe you guys can give me tips on how to enjoy NYC without going broke. Maybe we could sleep in the subway ............

Tom

Tom

#110429 - 02/28/02 06:57 AM Re: 9000 Going Back
Dnj Offline

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online