SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#110165 - 08/27/01 12:31 PM Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just received today from Sandro (Ketron, Italy) a NEW SD1 OS 'beta test' update which should include recognizing all of the below 'jazz type' chord voicings & associated chords. I sent the 'OS update' files to both Roel deJonge and Henry Ho for testing on their SD1 keyboards. If any other SD1 owners here are interested in testing this SD1 OS beta version update, please email me. - Scott
Listed below are all the chords and associated chord voicings which should be implemented in this update:

A Type II-V7-I Chord Voicings
(both split & full keyboard modes):

Cm7(9): (Eb-Bb-D)
Dbm7(9): (E-B-Eb)
Dm7(9): (F-C-E)
Ebm7(9): (Gb-Db-F)
Em7(9): (G-D-F#)
Fm7(9): (Ab-Eb-G)
F#m7(9): (A-E-G#)
Gm7(9): (Bb-F-A)
Abm7(9): B-Gb-Bb)
Am7(9): (C-G-B)
Bbm7(9): (Db-Ab-C)
Bm7(9): (D-A-C#)

C13: (Bb-E-A)
C#13: (B-F-A#)
D13: (C-F#-B)
Eb13: (Db-G-C)
E13: (D-G#-C#)
F13: (Eb-A-D)
F#13: (E-A#-D#)
G13: (F-B-E)
Ab13: (Gb-C-F)
A13: (G-C#-F#)
Bb13: (Ab-D-G)
B13: (A-D#-G#)

C69: (E-A-D)
Db69: (F-Bb-Eb)
D69: (F#-B-E)
Eb69: (G-C-F)
E69: (G#-C#-F#)
F69: (A-D-G)
F#69: (A#-D#-G#)
G69: (B-E-A)
Ab69: (C-F-Bb)
A69: (C#-F#-B)
Bb69: (D-G-C)
B69: (D#-G#-C#)

B Type II-V7-I Chord Voicings
(both split & full keyboard modes):

Cm7: (Bb-C-Eb-G)
Dbm7: (B-Db-E-Ab)
Dm7: (C-D-F-A)
Ebm7: (Db-Eb-Gb-Bb)
Em7: (D-E-G-B)
Fm7: (Eb-F-Ab-C)
F#m7: (E-F#-A-C#)
Gm7: (F-G-Bb-D)
Abm7: (Gb-Ab-B-Eb)
Am7: (G-A-C-E)
Bbm7: (Ab-Bb-Db-F)
Bm7: (A-B-D-F#)

C13: (E-A-Bb-D)
C#13: (F-A#-B-D#)
D13: (F#-B-C-E)
Eb13: (G-C-Db-F)
E13: (G#-C#-D-F#)
F13: (A-D-Eb-G)
F#13: (A#-D#-E-G#)
G13: (B-E-F-A)
Ab13: (C-F-Gb-Bb)
A13: (C#-F#-G-B)
Bb13: (D-G-Ab-C)
B13: (D#-G#-A-C#)

Cmaj7: (B-C-E-G)
Dbmaj7: (C-Db-F-Ab)
Dmaj7: (C#-D-F#-A)
Ebmaj7: (D-Eb-G-Bb)
Emaj7: (D#-E-G#-B)
Fmaj7: (E-F-A-C)
F#maj7: (F-F#-A#-C#)
Gmaj7: (F#-G-B-D)
Abmaj7: (G-Ab-C-Eb)
Amaj7: (G#-A-C#-E)
Bbmaj7: (A-Bb-D-F)
Bmaj7: (A#-B-D#-F#)

3 note Dominant Rootless Chords
(both split & full keboard modes):

C7(9): (E-Bb-D)
C#7(9): (F-B-D#)
D7(9): (F#-C-E)
Eb7(9): (G-Db-F)
E7(9): (G#-D-F#)
F7(9): (A-Eb-G)
F#7(9): (Bb-E-G#)
G7(9): (B-F-A)
Ab7(9): (C-Gb-Bb)
A7(9): (C#-G-B)
Bb7(9): (D-Ab-C)
B7(9): (D#-A-C#)

Two Handed Open Voicing Chords
(full keyboard mode ONLY):

Chord Name (lt hand) (rt hand)
C13: (Bb-E-A) (D-G-C)
C#13: (B-F-A#) (D#-G#-C#)
D13: (C-F#-B) (E-A-D)
Eb13: (Db-G-C) (F-Bb-Eb)
E13: (D-G#-C#) (F#-B-E)
F13: (Eb-A-D) (G-C-F)
F#13: (E-A#-D#) (G#-C#-F#)
G13: (F-B-E) (A-D-G)
Ab13: (Gb-C-F) (Bb-Eb-Ab)
A13: (G-C#-F#) (B-E-A)
Bb13: (Ab-D-G) (C-F-Bb)
B13: (A-D#-G#) (C#-F#-B)

C7(9): (E-Bb-D) (G-C)
C#7(9): (F-B-D#) (G#-C#)
D7(9): (F#-C-E) (A-D)
Eb7(9): (G-Db-F) (Bb-Eb)
E7(9): (G#-D-F#) (B-E)
F7(9): (A-Eb-G) (C-F)
F#7(9): (Bb-E-G#) (C#-F#)
G7(9): (B-F-A) (D-G)
Ab7(9): (C-Gb-Bb) (Eb-Ab)
A7(9): (C#-G-B) (E-A)
Bb7(9): (D-Ab-C) (F-Bb)
B7(9): (D#-A-C#) (F#-B)

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 09-02-2001).]

#110166 - 08/27/01 02:45 PM Re: Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
Roel Offline

He guys Scott did it again : Typing his list ! (It would take me 1 hour I guess )

Sandro and his engineerds did a good job Scott ! ALL OK

Roel

#110167 - 08/27/01 05:13 PM Re: Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi scottyee and Roel,
Nice to be back!! i was on holliday for a few weeks. It seems here busy on this forum the last weeks... something new?
And... yes i'm curious about this new update of the sd1 chord recognition table.
Greetings Notlos

------------------

#110168 - 08/27/01 05:47 PM Re: Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
Danny D Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
I hope Sandro is going to update this Jazz chord mode option into the arranger mode for X1 ! I think Sandro & Solton should do that to benefit to Solton keyboard buyers. Now I am begin to learn & practice jazz rootless & inversion chord stuff just to keep up w/ you pro

#110169 - 08/27/01 06:27 PM Re: Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
Scottyee Offline

MANY THANKS to Roel for testing the above chord voicings on the SD1 so QUICKLY! Roel, it actually only took me a few seconds to get the above chords/voicings in my post. I used the copy/paste function.

Wonderful news to hear that ALL of these 'cool' jazzy chords voicings are NOW implemented in the SD1. I hope you and other fellow forum members (Notlos, Henry01, DanO, etc) who own the Ketron (Solton) SD1, Yamaha PSR9000, PSR9000pro, Technics KN6000, KN6500 or KN5000 will 'take the time' to 'try out' these piano keyboard voicings on YOUR arranger keyboards. If you are a keyboard player, it will enhance your arranger playing options and can provide more professional sounding arranger keyboard results. These rootless chord voicings are particularly good for classic pop standards (Misty, Route 66, Night & Day, etc. ) where a small intimate lounge jazz trio type sound (drums & bass) along with your LIVE piano type comping/soloing in full keyboard mode is desired. This is also supported in split mode on the Yamaha 9000/9000pro & Ketron (Solton) SD1. These voicings are also GREAT for giving blues tunes more of a jazzy sound. Take the following VERY BASIC simple 12 bar blues chord progression for the tune "Kansas City":

|C7| C7| C7| C7|
|F7| F7| C7| C7|
|G7| F7| C7| C7|

FIRST: (in full keyboard mode, but with arranger OFF) while playing the melody in the right hand, play the above chord progression using the following (root included) left hand piano voicings:

C7: (C-E-G-Bb)
F7: (C-Eb-F-A)
G7: (D-F-G-B)

NEXT: (in full keyboard mode, auto accomp function OFF) play the same chord progression, but this time, use the following left hand 'rootless type' chord voicings:

C7(9): (E-Bb-D)
F13: (Eb-A-D)
G13: (F-B-E)

You should notice that the first method will sound grounded and the second method more open (less defined). You may not like the sound of the second version, but WAIT:

NOW: Play the same above two chord voicing progression versions, but this time turn ON the auto accomp arranger, using a medium tempo (110-115 bpm)jazz swing or bluesy type style and muting ALL auto-accompaniment instrument parts EXCEPT Drums & Bass. TURN UP the BASS part volume all the way up. You may notice that (with the auto accompaniment turned ON) the second version will sound more jazzy as the keyboard voicings you are playing, compliment, (not duplicate) the bass line notes being played by the auto-accomp bass part. The added 9th and 13th tensions and elimination of the root give the harmonies a more sophisticated sound.

I hope all of you Technics 6500/6000/5000, Yamaha PSR9000/9000pro, and Ketron (Solton) SD1 owners will take the time to give this a try on your respective keyboards and then tell me know what you think.

- Scott
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-27-2001).]

#110170 - 08/27/01 06:47 PM Re: Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
Dnj Offline

hey Scott ,

You are correct those chords voicing do sound hip! I'm sure they will do the jpb for the musician trained in that method. I on the otherhand prefer to play basic chords in my right and compliment them with rootless chords in my right hand comping when I sing. But thats my style of playing, everyone has theirs. Neither is wrong, in the end what ever sounds good is the key. Cant wait to hear you on the SD1 :>)

donny nj

donny

#110171 - 08/27/01 07:40 PM Re: Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
Scott,

Thanks for this info. I always wanted to learn more of the jazz style chords, and although I don't have a Solton/Ketron I can still use the listings with their spelled-out chords and play around with them.

Thanks again,

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

#110172 - 08/27/01 07:59 PM Re: Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
Scottyee Offline

Charlie, Just wanted to let you know that some of these 'jazzy' chord voicings had to be 'altered slightly' to accomodate arranger keyboard type chord recognition. A more commonly recognized "Bill Evans" type jazz keyboard voicing for the first set: Cm79, Dbm79, Dm79, etc... includes the 5th of the chord as well. For Cm79, the notes (from left the right) would include: Eb-G-Bb-D. The reason the note G (the 5th of the chord) had to be eliminated (for arranger keyboard recognition purposes) is because the notes Eb-G-Bb-D ALREADY represent a MORE commonly reconginzed 'root' position chord: EbMaj7. Hope you have FUN exploring these chord voicings.

#110173 - 08/29/01 11:46 PM Re: Just received NEW beta SD1 OS update ('jazz' chord recognition table) for testing !
Scottyee Offline

Wanted to inform everyone here that I just discovered two more rootless type 'chord families' recognized by Technics KN keyboards which I somehow overlooked previously. I sent Sandro an email so he might hopefully be able to include these 'rootless chords' in the upcoming SD1 OS update as well.

C13: (Bb-D-E-A)
C#13: (B-D#-F-A#)
D13: (C-E-F#-B)
Eb13: (Db-F-G-C)
E13: (D-F#-G#-C#)
F13: (Eb-G-A-D)
F#13: (E-G#-A#-D#)
G13: (F-A-B-E)
Ab13: (Gb-Bb-C-F)
A13: (G-B-C#-F#)
Bb13: (Ab-C-D-G)
B13: (A-C#-D#-G#)