SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#109368 - 09/06/01 05:10 AM Hi Big Red! (arranger KBs in groups)
pschimmel Offline

Loc: Stevenage,Herts,England
Greetings from Stevenage! I'm afraid I've never heard of the groups you mention - maybe I'm too young :-)

More on topic I now use my PSR740 in a group. 10 years ago you'd never consider using a 'home' keyboard in a group the sounds and build quality were awful. Now the PSR offers a bunch of high quality sounds, easy splits, transposing etc and foldback monitoring. Synth purists might argue that you can't edit the sounds, but how many people actually do that anyway?

The 740 Drawbar organ is still not that great so I use it with a Hammond XM-1 midi module. I presume the 2k will be better if it inherits the modelling system from the 9k pro.

The keyboard feel of the PSR doesn't match my Ensoniq, but in all other ways it is superior. What I (and maybe Uncle Dave) would like now is a PSR740 (PSR2000)pro....

#109369 - 09/06/01 10:48 PM Re: Hi Big Red! (arranger KBs in groups)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You're almost right. What i want is a combination of three different boards:
1)61 keys just like the 9kpro, all sounds and styles from same
2)sound system and weight of the Kn6500
3)vocal harmonizer from digitechs design where the chord triggers the notes and NOT the keys.
If the 2000 is anywhere close to this list, I'll probably live with it for a while, but I expect to be disapointed with:
1)key feel
2)vocal harmonizer
3)huge wall wart(probably)
4)NO stereo ins to speakers
5)low output of speakers (12watts x 2)
6)no hard drive option

#109370 - 09/07/01 02:40 PM Re: Hi Big Red! (arranger KBs in groups)
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
You can't edit the sounds on a PSR740? That's tragic. I spend a fair bit of time tweaking sounds on my i30 - not that I need to, it's just a bad habit I've picked up I guess.
Yep, you're right about 'home' keyboards not being seen in bands 10 years ago. But, as a historical note, in 1960 it was a case of whatever piano happened to be in the venue, and some of those beasts were well past their appointment with the knacker's yard. So, via a Watkins 'Telstar', Hohner Pianet and a Hammond M103, here I am today with my Korg i30 and using it as the sole source on gigs in our duo (me and the missus). Rock on, young 'un, it's a long and happy road.

#109371 - 09/08/01 12:10 AM Re: Hi Big Red! (arranger KBs in groups)
pschimmel Offline

Loc: Stevenage,Herts,England
My Ensoniq had all the usual synth type parameter editing, but in practise I found I hardly ever used them - it was simply too complicated. In my view synth usage changed with the DX7, before this people happily spent hours creating their own sounds. With its FM system being even harder to program most users simply used the presets. The synth world would never be quite the same again.

My Ensoniq has 80 presets, but the 740 has hundreds and I have yet to be stuck for an appropriate AND good sound either in a church or a rock band context. Some tweaking would always be nice, but with such a choice it's not essential.

Big Red: thanks for your good wishes.

Uncle Dave: I agree with your comments, and thanks for your interesting posts on this forum. It's nice to find a 'newsgroup' where the members are knowledgeble and don't spend all their time insulting each other in a way they never would if they met face-to-face.

As a tip for non-singing 740 owners - you can use the mic input as input for an external sound source, but this is only mono. Obviously true line in would be better.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online