SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#109186 - 09/23/04 12:28 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 - need best price from retail store (not just online store)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I too had purchased (quite a while back) the Logitechs, and also RETURNED them for the SAME reasons that Jim (Pro) and Daz's father did.

It's been my experience with speaker systems which rely on only 2 tiny satellites speakers + floor subwoofer, that the mid range frequencies are always lacking, resulting in the bass & hi frequencies sounding over emphasized. I notice this (but to a lesser extent) with my Yamaha brand Tyros MS01 satellite + subwoofer system as well. I find that satellite+subwoofer type systems aren't able to project the all important mid range frequencies (voice, etc) into the audience very well either, perhaps because a larger speaker than the ones included in the satellites are needed to reproduce this. On the other hand, the subwoofer only reproduces just the lowest frequencies

This is the reason that, even for the smallest rooms, I always take the Motion Sound KP100S.

Scott

#109187 - 09/23/04 12:33 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 - need best price from retail store (not just online store)
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

This is the reason that, even for the smallest rooms, I always take the Motion Sound KP100S.

Scott

Ditto and amen...

#109188 - 09/23/04 01:12 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 - need best price from retail store (not just online store)
Dnj Offline

That Motion amp couldn't cut the mustard for me AT ALL when I tried it out...might be different with the OPTIONAL speaker purchase installed......
The Z2200 does what its supposed to do,
"VERY SMALL Rooms"...
Funny how people think differently.....
to each his own I guess

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-23-2004).]

#109189 - 09/23/04 02:21 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 - need best price from retail store (not just online store)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I tried the Motion Sound KP-100 and 200, I was not at all impressed. While it reproduced acceptable mid range sounds, it lacked in bottom end. After adjusting the EQ's the top end sounded tinny.

As for adjusting the bottom end of the Z-2200s, I was able to do this with the keyboard's EQ, and lowering the bass volume control to the 10:00 O'clock setting.

As I've often stated, my spouse of more than 40 years has absolutely no qualms about telling me if something does not sound good. The first time she heard the Z-2200s she unequivocally said "Wow! They sound incredible." That was before I tuned and tweeked the keyboard.

As DNJ said, these things were not meant for big rooms, and anyone that purchases them thinking that they will provide the same sound quality as a 15-inch Barbetta, Peavey or other high quality system is fooling themselves.

Here are a few things, however, that I have noticed:

1. The keyboard's EQ must be set accordingly for the size of the room you intend to play.

2. In small to mid-size rooms of less than 1,000 square feet, the bass volume level should set at less than half if the main volume is at 12:00 O'clock or higher to maintain the correct ratio of bass to mid and high range sounds.

3. Placement of the satellite speakers is critical--just as placement of the speakers of any sound system. They must be at least 4 to 6 feet off the floor in order for the sound to be projected proportionally around the room. Heights less than 4 feet usually result in poor projection, especially if that room is crowded with people.

4. Using the Z-2200 in conjunction with a larger system, IMO, just does not make good sense. It will not make a substandard system sound better, and there could be some sound conflicts between the system if they were not properly balanced.

The few groups of folks I performed in front of while using this system have providing nothing but positive feedback.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#109190 - 09/23/04 03:11 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 - need best price from retail store (not just online store)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary,
I didn't like the Motion Sound either. Guess that's why they make more than one option!
DonM

#109191 - 09/23/04 09:19 PM Re: Logitech Z2200 - need best price from retail store (not just online store)
Dnj Offline

Isn't the motion amp 5x the price of the logitech?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online