SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#109115 - 09/20/07 04:46 AM Heres my PC Recording problem ????
Dnj Offline

Maybe some of the SZ PC gerus can offer my a solution......

I had a new PC built.....decent specs about 6 months ago

it has audio input on front & on back

hers is my problem.....when I try to record on my PC using the front or back input using a stereo cable from the KB into Acid pro etc etc .. ..the result always plays back in Mono....judging by the identicle L/R Wave tracks

Now when I do the same thing on my Laptop when I play back the song it is in stereo because I can tell by looking at the diffrent left /right Wave tracks

so Is my soundcard at fault...I have tried both rear and front inputs with the same result. Maybe I need a new high tech soundcard.....? what can I check

#109116 - 09/20/07 05:23 AM Re: Heres my PC Recording problem ????
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny - 2 things:
Did you make sure the tech put stereo input jacks in the PC?

Are you sure you don;t need to tell Acid that the input is stereo?

When I record into the macs at school, I use an M-Box interface and I have to tell the program that I'm using 2 separate input signals. Maybe it's a simple menu choice !

#109117 - 09/20/07 05:43 AM Re: Heres my PC Recording problem ????
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Donny - 2 things:
Did you make sure the tech put stereo input jacks in the PC?

Are you sure you don;t need to tell Acid that the input is stereo?

When I record into the macs at school, I use an M-Box interface and I have to tell the program that I'm using 2 separate input signals. Maybe it's a simple menu choice !

Dave thanx I will check these suggestions out asap......I just want to record in stereo into the PC?

#109118 - 09/20/07 05:45 AM Re: Heres my PC Recording problem ????
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi DNJ
When you say the front jacks, do you mean the ones built into the case, as if so they are always stereo, likewise if the sound card is built into the motherboard the jacks on the rear are also stereo, (I don’t think you can buy a mono sound card these days) therefore providing your using a 3.5mm stereo jack plug, the only reason it would be mono is if a setting in the software of the soundcard or program was set to mono.
Best course of action is to have a rummage through the menus to see if you can find anything. (You can also email tech support of your sound card)
Hope this helps

Bill

#109119 - 09/20/07 05:48 AM Re: Heres my PC Recording problem ????
Dnj Offline

Bill I am checking all options menues as we speak REALTEK HD SC.........& yes the front inputs are in the case.

#109120 - 09/20/07 06:02 AM Re: Heres my PC Recording problem ????
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Here's something stupid, but possible...
Are the front and rear jacks reversed? I mean, is the front right actually the rear left, and so forth?
OR
Is the front wired as the right and the back wired as the left side? It sounds silly and implausible, but sometimes it's silly things like that get overlooked. Good luck; hope you solve the problem.

#109121 - 09/20/07 06:26 AM Re: Heres my PC Recording problem ????
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Donny,

Here's how I might start when I analyze a problem like this. Of course, the first thing to check is that the app is setup to run stereo ins( in your case Acid Pro ? ). I'm not certain how Acid works, but I have to believe it's similar to most other soft DAW apps, in that you go to preferences or something similar and check the status of you audio ins, to ensure that stereo in is enabled. For instance, in Sonar I can run either stereo or mono input directly from the audio preferences menu.

If that isn't the problem, I might take a stereo voice from the KB, and pan it all the way from one side to the other while watching the input vu meters on the recording app. I don't know if you have anything in between.. I have a mixer with Vu meters, but you could pan via midi in the kb. The mixer is nice to ensure that the problem isn't on the kb ( or cable ) end.

The other real easy ( but definitely dumb and not necessarily recommended) AJ method is to disconnect the cable from the kb... I'm assuming its a pair of 1/4 inch standard outputs coverted to an 1/8 inch stereo plug that goes into the computer, and touch the hot end ( tip ) of each 1/4 inch plug to my finger while watching the VU meters and listening to the speakers.. I recommend don't do THIS with headphones on and the audio input all the way up.... unless maybe you have a problem because you're hearing is currently so sensitive that you never sleep due to the fact that your that you hear a pin drop in your sleep and it wakes you up... because doing it with headphones on would likely cure that, especially if you have an open ground somewhere.

The last thing I would suggest, after you work out the problem.. is if you're going to do anything that approaches serious audio recording at all, even for demos, forget the built in PC card and go get yerself a dedicated soundcard. Even with one of the lower end ones ( 200 USd and less in a lot of cases ) you'll notice quite a difference in sound quality, and you can scrap that 1/8 stereo input cable and use something better suited for audio work.

Regards,

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-20-2007).]

#109122 - 09/20/07 06:59 AM Re: Heres my PC Recording problem ????
Dnj Offline

Thanx everyone I think I fixed the problem using all of your suggestions.....I went into preference in Acid pro and noticed the setting were wrong made a few menu changes and now with some test recording the waves are indeed different L/R stereo....this forum is the BEST!!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online