SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#109010 - 02/15/02 08:28 AM EV SxA100s Too Weak?
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I've played two gigs with my new EV SxA100 speakers. Once using me X1 and the last using my 9000 Pro. The first time, I ran stereo right out of the X1. Last night I ran mono out of the 9K Pro and daisy chained the EVs. I can't seem to get much volume (loudness) out of the EVs either way (gain is turned up to max on the back of the speakers). My old Peavey 300 watt pa head into two Cerwin Vega 15" two way cabinets blows the EVs away. Also when I run the same program material through a 60 watt Roland Cube keyboard amp it sounds twice as loud as the same sound source does through one EV. Am I doing something wrong? Is there packing material in the EVs that needs to be removed (they both have a "stuffy" sound i.e. snare drums sound like hitting on cardboard boxes)?
Thanks,
DVJ

#109011 - 02/15/02 11:38 AM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The EV's perform much better with a mixer. The input is just not as hot as some other amps, but the power IS there. Try the mic inputs, but be careful ....... they might be
"TOO hot."
(there is ALWAYS a soing title in my posts!!)
The EQ is a little strange, for sure, but as an "All in one" package, I love mine. I do prefer using them WITH a mixer, because of power and sound color. I think that's the way they were intended to be used anyway. The option of plugging direct is a nice "add on" but not the MAIN feature. Try a mixer, and see if you like them better.

#109012 - 02/15/02 12:28 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Deaton,

I seem to be getting sufficient volume with my setup when going directly from my Yamaha PSR2000 to the EVs, possibly because the PSR2000 might have a hotter output then the X1. But I agree, for large venues, going thru a mixer (I use a Mackie 1202) is preferable as it provides much better eq sound/volume control.

side note: I had to (when I initially purchased them) return one of my SXA100's because one speaker didn't sound right. For some reason the acoustic piano sounded real 'thin & weak'(tinny), even though the 'other sounds' seemed normal. At first I wondered if it was 'just me', but directly comparing it to the other speaker quickly confirmed my thoughts. I returned it to my local music store (Guitar Center) and they replaced it immediately. I'm still very happy with this 'all in one' PA system. It sounds smooth and natural without sounding overhyped, and is lightweight/easy to transport and quick to setup/breakdown. I was easily able to fit in 3 Valentines Day gigs yesterday (at 3 different venue locations) thanks to my lightweight setup (Yamaha PSR2000, SxA100 speakers + kb/mic/speaker stands). Setup time: 10-15 minutes max.

- Scott
http://scottyee.com

#109013 - 02/15/02 03:58 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I recently added a powered sub to my two powered Yorkville Skrs. It is the NX200S. Has 200watts, 1-10" spkr. 54Lbs. very compact. Adds so much to the overall sound. I run my SD1 in stereo, into a Mackie 1202 L/R output to powered Yorkvilles on stands.
The Mackie has two, effecta and monitor, sends for each channel. Both sends include EQ I use send 1 for the Sub and send 2 for the powered monitor (Fender 1270p) The send for the sub sums left and right, very cool, so I get full input into sub. The diffence in sound with the sub is tremendous

#109014 - 02/15/02 03:58 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
JCkeeys Offline

I recently added a powered sub to my two powered Yorkville Skrs. It is the NX200S. Has 200watts, 1-10" spkr. 54Lbs. very compact. Adds so much to the overall sound. I run my SD1 in stereo, into a Mackie 1202 L/R output to powered Yorkvilles on stands.
The Mackie has two, effecta and monitor, sends for each channel. Both sends include EQ I use send 1 for the Sub and send 2 for the powered monitor (Fender 1270p) The send for the sub sums left and right, very cool, so I get full input into sub. The diffence in sound with the sub is tremendous

#109015 - 02/15/02 07:34 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Uncle Dave Offline

Just to avoid confusion - The Mackie 1202 series does NOT route the monitor send to the EQ of the channel, but you DO have the option of selecting "post" so it follows the EQ. (It functions as an additional effect send this way)
IN the "pre" mode - it goes to the mains without passing through the EQ. Small point, but worth mentioning.
You're right about subs - they add so much to an overall sound. Whenever it REAL important, I carry a separate crossover and a sub system too. Most times, I don't need it.

#109016 - 02/15/02 09:17 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
JCkeeys Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
[B]Just to avoid confusion - The Mackie 1202 series does NOT route the monitor send to the EQ of the channel.
Dave I believe the EQ of the chanel your using is always present in the monitor send. I found this surprising since no board I ever worked this way? I checked the manual and it confirmed this. When you have your monitor plugged in crank th High, Mid or Low EQ and you will see what I mean.

#109017 - 02/15/02 10:28 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Uncle Dave Offline

That means you have the "post" button pushed down, and the send is now acting like an effects send, and NOT a monitor. Mackie gives you a choice. Monitor sends should not follow the EQ. It only causes trouble with feedback. Check your panel for the pre/post button.

#109018 - 02/16/02 08:08 AM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
JCkeeys Offline

[QUOTE]That means you have the "post" button pushed down, and the send is now acting like an effects send, and NOT a monitor. Mackie gives you a choice. Monitor sends should not follow the EQ. It only causes trouble with feedback. Check your panel for the pre/post button.
Dave I agree you do not want your chanel EQ settings to go to the monitor and let me repeat my sub set-up. I use the Effect 2 send for the Sub reason: when I raise or lower volume (Chanel Fader only)it will contol mains and sub together.
Let me Quote the 1202-VLZ Pro Mackie Manual:
"With the AUX 1 SELECT switch up (disengaged), AUX SEND 1 will tap a Channel pre-fader (GAIN) and pre-MUTE/ALT 3-4, meaning that no matter how you manipulate those controls as they feed the MAIN MIX, the AUX SEND will continue to belt out that channel's signal. This is the preferred method for setting up stage monitor feeds. EQ settings will affect all AUX SENDs.
With the switch down, the AUX SEND 1 becomes an ordinary effects send --post-fader (GAIN) and post-MUTE/ALT 3-4. This is a must for effects sends, since you want the levels of your "wet" signals to follow the level of the "dry".
You will notice they refer to PRE-FADER not PRE -EFFECTS. ALSO NOTE "EQ settings will affect all AUX SENDS". I tried this just before I wrote this! This is the way it works.

#109019 - 02/16/02 08:39 AM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Uncle Dave Offline

JC,
If what you say is true, I stand corrected, but I never had a "pre" signal that followed EQ settings. It's the whole reason for being separate. Those Mackie guys are charting new waters here. Now I'll have to go check mine out too !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online