SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#108872 - 06/22/06 05:59 PM Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I need some opinions on this one. Once agian I'm going outside of my normal music genre (Remember my attempt at country?) Here's my attempt at some Rock/Alternative. Tell me what you think.... Should I keep going, or just lay down and take a nap??? If anyone has any problems with YouSendit.com just let me know and I can email you either the Wav. or MP3. The songs just a rough cut, and I did a shi++y job on the fade at the end--its short clip.

Enjoy,
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=45406E0E4587E473

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#108873 - 06/23/06 12:40 AM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
keybG Offline

For me it's sounds more like a country song than a rock/alternative!! By the way what ever you were trying i liked it!!

#108874 - 06/23/06 04:52 AM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybG:
For me it's sounds more like a country song than a rock/alternative!! By the way what ever you were trying i liked it!!

Me too.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.artisans-world.com/

#108875 - 06/23/06 05:48 AM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
squeak_D Offline

hmmm, would you say it has more of a "country rock" feel too it?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#108876 - 06/23/06 07:37 AM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
It's really to bad that Squeak_D has left this forum. I really miss his posts.
Starkeeper

#108877 - 06/23/06 07:43 AM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
squeak_D Offline

I'm still here I honestly "really" like the lyrics to this song. Don't worry I'm not going to jump off a bridge either.

I didn't write the song based on myself. I have a very close family member who I care about a great deal (mom's side of the family), and he has been fighting with a mental disability for years. We talk several times a week, and every so often he gets really down and depressed, and it inspired me to write these lyrics. The song is about him.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-23-2006).]

#108878 - 06/23/06 12:40 PM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Squeak
Just listened to your song and I would say it has that new age country rock feel to it, the sort that you hear on the CMTV channel.
Keep it up

#108879 - 06/23/06 12:50 PM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
squeak_D Offline

Here's something funny.. This is how I know it is actually alternative rock... I posted this song elsewhere because I knew I'd get some alternative rockers opinions.

They were honest, but I got a lot this song "sucks".., and why--several suggested that the vocals sound like Scott Stapp. This is the singer from "Creed".

I don't listen to this band, and couldn't tell you one of their songs if a gun was to my head. However those who said it sucked REALLY HATE the group Creed. From those comments I can only assume that Creed is basically what "BackStreet Boys" are to the pop music scene. So Creed are the Backstreet Boys of Alternative Rock. One guy even called the lead singer a "tool".

I'll still take that as a compliment though. Some may hate the group, but I'm sure they have their followers, and for my first real attempt at this style to be compared to him. I'll take a pat on the shoulder

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-23-2006).]

#108880 - 06/23/06 03:07 PM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Squeak,

You have a great voice, no question about it. The song, however, SUCKS! You can do much better than this, and I have heard much better from you. What really surprizes me is that you not out there gigging every night. Even in Podunk, West Virginia there are lots of clubs where you could be playing and singing, providing quality entertainment. You can do this--no question in my mind. We have heard you do some counry/western tunes that were outstanding. You have the talent. Get out there and use it to its fullest extent.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#108881 - 06/23/06 04:29 PM Re: Demo: Me Singing Rock/Alternative
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
I need some opinions on this one.The songs just a rough cut, and I did a shi++y job on the fade at the end--its short clip.

Squeak: I personally think your work holds good promise, but to be honest, you've not shared much about it yet. So far, I like the lyric content and rhythmic groove, but because I've not hear its begining (verse) any development/contrast (bridge), or a defining hook line (yet), or ending, I believe it's far too early to give you a qualified opinion or advice on the song itself. I recommend re-posting it once you've completed the basic melodic/choral structure (verse/chorus + bridge?) of the song. I also recommend not wasting time attempting to label what music genre your music falls under. Instead, just continue making your music your own, and let it define itself. Good luck. - Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online