SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#108530 - 11/24/00 12:17 AM Re: Information about KN5000 please
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi DonM,
I personally don't have a need for "midi merge" but it is my understanding that fellow Synthzone board member Tonkan wants this feature. He wants to be able to take the original midi source data entering his keyboard (at the "midi-in" port) and to MERGE this data with the midi data created on his keyboard and then send this "merged" midi data out thru the keyboard's "midi-out" port.

Clif had thought this is possible (without having to purchase an external midi-merge box) on the higher-end Yamaha PSR boards.Please check your PSR keyboard and let us know if there is some kind of midi setting feature which would allow you to turn "midi merge" on/off? As far as I know, this would be the only way to find out if the Yamaha PSR keyboards support an internal midi-merge feature function. If the PSR keyboards don't include this type of setting then the only way to perform the type of midi merge function Tonkan desires is by connecting an external midi merge box to both the "midi-out" and "midi-thru" ports on his keyboard.Curious to hear your finding.
-Scott

#108531 - 11/24/00 03:36 AM Re: Information about KN5000 please
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Don M

Here is what I would try. Make sure your Host Select switch is set to "MID". Connect the MIDI OUT A of the 9k to a sound module. Make sure that you can control the module with the 9k keyboard. If you cannot, try various MIDI modes, "All Parts", "Kbd&Acmp", "Master Kbd1" and "Master Kbd2". One or more of these should allow you to control the sound module.

Once you have the 9k controlling the external sound module, connect a MIDI controller to MIDI IN B. Set the Receive mode to "Keyboard". See if you can control the module using the controller. If you can, then the controller data is being merged with the 9k data.

Depending on what the objective is, different settings may be used.

HTH, Clif

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 11-24-2000).]

#108532 - 11/24/00 04:37 AM Re: Information about KN5000 please
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The Roland G1000 can achieve the results of a merger. It has 2 sets of midi in, out, and thru[A and B]The settings can be changed to transmit and receive, interchangable from A to B and vice versa. For example You can play a JV2080 from the G1000 upper 1 realtime part connected from midi A out, andhave a bass pedal controller connected to the midi B in, assigned to a selected midi channel of the A midi out...Fran

#108533 - 11/24/00 08:47 AM Re: Information about KN5000 please
Clif Anderson Offline

More thoughts on MIDI merge and the PSR9k.

From the PSR9k manual on page 149, it sounds like there is may be a MIDI-merge function at least in some cases. With a computer coupled to the TO HOST port and the appropriate selection made for the TO HOST selector, and with "THRU" set as the MIDI mode, it sounds like there MAY be MIDI merge.

The next question would be whether connecting an external controller to MIDI A IN with the TO HOST selector on MID and the MIDI mode set to "THRU" would result in MIDI merging. This is the same as the test I described in my previous post except the external connection to to MIDI IN A instead of MIDI IN B.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online