SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#108494 - 11/22/02 12:30 PM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
What's that old saw about trombone players? And how they're like frogs? Eventually they will get a gig!

#108495 - 11/22/02 02:45 PM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
UD, I was one of those guys who gigged in smoky bars and jazz clubs in the good old days. Great fun it was too. I got more money on a gig than I did for a week's wages at my regular job. Played sax and clarinet back then and only sat in on keyboard when the regular piano player didn't turn up.

#108496 - 11/22/02 03:47 PM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
KN_Fan Offline

I'd go with what Scott says......

#108497 - 11/22/02 04:45 PM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
guitarman Offline

I agree with UD
Its like calling girls "chicks", just a little out of place in modern day terminology.
However, "work" is a little too general. YOu could say you "work" as a musician but what does that mean. If you practice that is work too but we still say practice for practice (or do we?)
I do not work as a professional musician anymore but when I did it sure felt like work to me.
It is fun sometimes but it is not fun when you are on the road and your sound system breaks down during the first set the bar owner is trying to run you out of town.

But what would be a suitable replacment for Gig?

What do union musicians call it when they perform live? Practice?

Guitarman

#108498 - 11/22/02 08:00 PM Re: This one will ruffle some feathers .......
trtjazz Offline

And yet more definitions:

carriage: trap, gig, ponycart, dogcart
boat: pinnace, cutter, gig
prostitute: male prostitute, rent-boy, gigolo, gig

gig (gîg) Slang. noun
A job, especially a booking for musicians.

verb, intransitive
gigged, gigging, gigs
To work as a musician: "gigging weekends as a piano player in the ski joints" (Joel Oppenheimer).

[Origin unknown.]

Personally I never found giggin' to be work, it was always fun for me. Working was something I had to do to pay the rent playing music was something I wanted to do for fun and getting paid for it was the icing on the cake.

When my recordings take on the traits of work.....I'm quitting the job. I use the term work to describe the art as in this is my "body of work" used as a noun not a verb.

I take creating my work very seriously, but it is not work to me.

I agree with it is part of the jargon of musicians.....getting paid or not. I too like the term. All hobbies and jobs and groups come up with their own slang jargon, so when they are talking to others in the same field it is a common bond of understanding.
jam on,
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-22-2002).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online