SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#108321 - 05/08/06 08:49 AM Re: Stereo and the Real World
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm totally with Donny...Stereo does make a huge difference to the sound quality of today's samples. I would NEVER EVER go back to a MONO setup unless I'm playing a Stadium or Arena gig.

Last year when I opened for Huey Lewis and then the Doobie brothers, we still ran STEREO to the board. What they did with the output is beyond me, but I sent both left and right to the board. I'm sure they summed the two signals somewhere, but listeners in the audience said everything was crystal clear.

Alex: I own the Fender SFX 200 keyboard amp. I love it and will not part with it. Excellent stereo imaging, great controls. I use it as a back up amp and for rehearsals.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#108322 - 05/08/06 11:32 AM Re: Stereo and the Real World
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:

Last year when I opened for Huey Lewis and then the Doobie brothers, we still ran STEREO to the board. What they did with the output is beyond me, but I sent both left and right to the board. I'm sure they summed the two signals somewhere, but listeners in the audience said everything was crystal clear.

Wow!!
I'm impressed!
You lucky soag!
Your band is doing well I take it!

#108323 - 05/08/06 01:21 PM Re: Stereo and the Real World
Dnj Offline

Well I now have a pair MACKIE SRM450's
http://www.mackie.com/products/srm450/

to go along with my New T2 I'm a happy camper! Cant wait to play tommorows gig,
Oh Yeah!

L8tr..........

#108324 - 05/08/06 01:37 PM Re: Stereo and the Real World
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
The other single-box solution used to be Fender Keyboard SFX - really nice stereo separation, 160 watts

Here's another 'single-box' stereo solution that looks interesting. Anybody heard it?
http://www.roland.com/products/en/SA-300/index.html

#108325 - 05/08/06 01:43 PM Re: Stereo and the Real World
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Well I now have a pair MACKIE SRM450's

Congrats, Donny... you're gonna sound fantastic, even without the Ketron drums.

The 450s sound great, but heavy... 51 lbs

#108326 - 05/09/06 06:08 AM Re: Stereo and the Real World
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Donny, enjoy!

Glenn, Thank you for posting this link. It does look pretty interesting. However, I wonder how they achieve stereo separation. Motion Sound KP series do this by using a stereo separation circuit (essentially, a phase shifter). Fender SFX does it by using a side-firing speaker employing a very sophisticated algorithm.

With two speakers placed side by side, the stereo effect is minimized, and is only observable up close. I think 350 watts is too much power to have at close range.

Are there any users of this amp? What are your experiences?

#108327 - 05/09/06 06:39 AM Re: Stereo and the Real World
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Reading some of these posts I have one thought to add:

It's all very noble to worry about what the audience hears but IMHO the most important audience is the player. I have to enjoy what I hear and get the most direct benefit from the sound... that's a lot of why I play. I'm not going to get hung up on whether that couple on the back of the room are getting the full benefit of the stereo separation. Often I go further by combining the internal speakers of my keyboard with my Motion Sound KP-200s behind me for a full surround-sound experience. The audience gets an acceptably good sound and a happy performer on stage.

Stereo 4 life.

#108328 - 05/10/06 03:41 AM Re: Stereo and the Real World
Dnj Offline

Yesterday I played a double using the T2 w/ the Mackie SRM450's......I gotta say that it sounds AWESOME.....crystal clear & powerful beyond belief IN STEREO, w/ great covereage & the T2 just sounds amazing.....I didnt realized I missed my old Mackie 350's & 450's sound so much ....

#108329 - 05/10/06 08:09 AM Re: Stereo and the Real World
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
And how did you like lifting those 51-pound beasts up on the poles?
DonM

#108330 - 05/10/06 09:17 AM Re: Stereo and the Real World
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
And how did you like lifting those 51-pound beasts up on the poles?
DonM

Ouch!
I purchased a pair of the impressive sounding SRM-450's but RETURNED them the next week. Not only were they heavy, but their slick slippery surface & bad ergonomic balance (much heavier at one end than the other) made it too awkward for me to transport and manuveur. I traded them for a pair of Electro Voice SxA100's (lighter & much more ergonomically weight balanced), and have remained (for over 4 years now), satified with this PA setup. If I were to UPGRADE, I'd probably opt for the EV SxA360 (36 lbs ). I've auditioned them & was impressed not only with their terrific bass response, but accurately 'smooth' response throughout the entire frequency range.

Scott

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online