SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#107989 - 06/17/03 11:42 PM How to improve your sound in a few easy steps
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
If your like me then you want the best possible sound to emanate from your Keyboard. I have a few tips to suggest to improve the overall quality of sound coming from your Keyboard speakers. The first would be to buy some good quality external monitors to breathe new life into your sound output. Secondly buy good quality cables to output from your Keyboard to your external monitors. Next, place those external monitors at the "same" height as your Keyboard sits at least 8" away from the Keyboard, parallel to your Keyboard's speakers, ie., (not sitting too far in front or behind the built-in speakers on your Keyboard and at the same level as the Keyboard speakers.) Face the monitors 'AWAY' from you at approximately a 30 degree angle outward. Use the Fixed Level Outputs of your Keyboard to hook up your external monitors. Hooking your monitors to the Fixed Level Outputs gives you more control over the sound output and provides a better indication when used correctly of what is exactly in your Mix and provides you with a better overall picture of the ambiance and nuances in your recordings and songs so you can Mix, Edit, and Master them with more accuracy. Also you need to get into the "meat" of the Keyboards Mixing Console to setup the Master EQ, DSP, Effects, etc., to fine tune the sound of your Keyboard. There are many gold nuggets in there and you must mine them out to achieve your optimum sound output that your Keyboard is capable of. When recording songs or even when just playing midi files choose your voices carefully. Many times just substituting XG voices with Panel voices will greatly improve your overall sound. Adjusting the volumes on your recorded tracks is also very important. Panning your tracks is another no brainer. Try using PANPOT on your recorded tracks or even midi files and hear for yourself the sound improvement and better ambiance you'll achieve. Panning your song tracks helps the sound of a song probably 90% of the time I would guess.

These are just some tips I wanted to share to help you improve the sound quality that emanates from your Keyboard. If your into Mixing, Editing and Mastering your songs like I am, every little trick that helps achieve optimum sound is worth sharing. And I am sure there are countless other tips and tricks out there that are just waiting to be mined.

Best regards and good night all. Its been a long day and I'm pooped.
Mike

#107990 - 06/18/03 03:05 AM Re: How to improve your sound in a few easy steps
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
May I add a few pointers. Place speakers in free air....example. Mounted away from walls or any reflective surfaces like shelves or cabinets which add additional colouration.
At home I have my monitors mounted on spiked stands seated on concrete slabs at ear height and approx 40cm to 50cm for any wall. this eliminates any sound transmission through the floor. Time spent placing speakers correctly should produce a clean and tight low bass with no boom and will enable them to reproduce the signal that is fed into them as accurate as possible.

It surprises me how little effort or interest players have in providing the best sound their equipment is capable of. They try to compensate this be playing at high volume which just makes matters worse.
If the sound quality is very good you will find you play better.

Graham UK

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online