SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#107840 - 03/18/04 01:28 AM My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I had the opportunity to audition the Bose PAS a second time last Sunday (March 14th). A great BIG thanks to Richard Peck, for personally bringing his PAS over 360 miles to let me audition & compare it (with my EV SxA100's) at my gig venue in Avila Beach, California on March 14th.

A couple of hours before my concert start time, I setup my Tyros keyboard along with my EV SxA100 speakers (2 channel stereo) on each side of the keyboard, while Richard concurrently set up his Bose PAS with subwoofer stage left of the keyboard. I initially ran thru a couple of my jazz standard tunes which primarily utilizes a basic jazz combo (drums, bass) while I played live acoustic stereo piano (Live Grand) comping with the left hand and right hand comping and solo/melodic parts. Thru the EV SxA100's, the piano sounded full and alive and drums and bass full bodied and smooth of which I've grown to appreciate with the EVs. I then switched to the Bose PAS going out the Tyros via the L+R mixed to mono output jack. I immediately noticed that the piano not only suddenly sounded thin & brittle (harsh), but that the overall sound now lacked the full bodied smooth sound that I had heard going thru the EVs. Overall, the Bose PAS sounded (to me) pretty good for coming from a single mono speaker ouput. The mid range frequencies have paricularly good clarity (especially for vocals), and the very deep lows (from it's sub woofer) provide good bass omph, but what was critically missing to me (as well as other musical associates who were concurrently auditioning as well) were the mid-lows. Even after Richard tried several different PAS EQ settings, both the harsh and brittle effect of mixing the Yamaha stereo acoustic piano sample to mono, could not be eliminated satisfactorily for my ears or taste, or recover the sorely missed mid low frequencies which I complained about earlier here. I then had Richard play the Tyros stereo 'live grand' piano patch himself, while I stepped into the audience area to audition. When he played the live grand piano lightly & softly, the 'live grand' piano sounded pleasing & natural, but when I asked him to play a little louder, the characteristic thin & brittle Yamaha stereo piano mixed to mono sound suddenly became apparent again. When other mono type sounds were played thru the PAS, they sounded nice (though not amazingly impressive) and filled the room in a pleasing manner, but not nearly as well as going thru my EVs (in stereo) did. My conclusion is that the Bose PAS puts out a pleasing mono output suitable for acoustic solo instrument output (especially vocals or guitar) or general background arranger keyboard for which only mono sampled keyboard voice are utilized, but for an arranger keyboard 'concert performance', where I require an impressive & dynamic sound field to my audience, then going out true stereo is a far better way to go. I can't speak for other brand arranger keyboards, but if you own a Yamaha arranger keyboard and rely on playing the acoustic piano heavily (like I do), I do not recommend the Bose PAS unless you can afford to purchase two of them ($4,000 US dollars total). If the Bose PAS was priced significantly lower, I might recommend it, but its definitely not worth its steep price in my opinion.

As much as I appreciate the benefits of the Bose PAS (quick and convenient setup/breakdown) and respect the views of others who LOVE the Bose PAS, I recommend (with a Yamaha keyboard) to go out stereo to the Motion Sound KP200S/KP100S or thru a pair discrete stereo speaker units for the benefit of a true stereo field which in my opinion offers not only a far more pleasing piano sound (on Yamaha stereo only piano samples) but far better musical depth and detail (to the audience) as well. I agree with Mike (keybplayer) and the Pro (Jim Eshleman) that going out Stereo, with Yamaha keyboards, is pretty much mandatory for an acceptable acoustic piano sound.

Scott

#107841 - 03/18/04 02:26 AM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
Roel Offline

Thanks for this nice review Scott.
As you know I NEED a good stereo image and cannot afford Stereo Boses.
To be honest, Bose never could impress me in home-electronics (cinema) or 'professional' systems. (e.g. no warm, deep low)

I'd better stay with my SRM450's ....

Roel

#107842 - 03/18/04 06:02 AM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Thanks for the detailed review of your tests, Scott. It seems it confirms pretty much your first impressions with the PAS. I'm happy with the quality (and power) of my current PA (H&K LUCAS), but I like new concepts and wouldn't say no to a more transportable sound system that at least equals in quality. Contrary to Roel, I like my "acoustic mass" Bose speaker system (at home), but that's my HO, of course.

I stay tuned for improvements of the PAS concept, who knows, by other brands?...

-- José.

#107843 - 03/18/04 06:08 AM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
Dnj Offline

As always Let your EARS be your judge

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#107844 - 03/18/04 06:30 AM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
What can I say Scott? Ditto! Good review. It's amazing how much of a controversy this issue has created on almost every keyboard forum on the web currently. You can bet that both keyboard manufacturers and sound system designers are checking this issue out big time!

#107845 - 03/18/04 07:29 AM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Thanks Scott for the Detailed review, I think for me I will stay
with my pair of Yamaha MS400 speakers for awhile longer.

Oh !!!! & thank you for saving me 4000 bucks.
I was just hoping somebody would fine something wrong
with the Bose PAS.

------------------
Denny Starry
KN5000, 9000 Pro
Enjoying The 9000 Pro

#107846 - 03/18/04 07:40 AM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
While I'm an an advocate for stereo amplification, I refuse to totally dismiss the Bose PAS concept. I think it's viable if the sound is as good as some say, and the phase cancellation problem is not a fault of Bose but a naturally occuring acoustic phenomena. Bose isn't to blame... and nobody seems to think that two PAS units might not be a bad idea for keyboards. I'd love to run a real-time analyzer on a PAS and get some solid results to compare with other sound systems.

But the cost of two PAS units - yikes! So if you really want to go mono via PAS, here's a phase adjustment tool that runs about $375 reportedly that might solve the phase problem: http://www.littlelabs.com/ibpjr.html

I don't know for sure that the IBP Junior Analog Phase Alignment Tool would work but it seems like a solid idea. This could be useful in the studio anyway. So it may be possible to start with a single PAS unit and a phase adjustment tool and then save for an eventual second PAS unit, if you are Bose-motivated.

#107847 - 03/18/04 11:00 AM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott and all,

after Scott's Concert Richard was so nice to hook up the Bose again.
I was waiting to be blown away, but I have to agree a 100% with Scott, that the sound was thin and brittle.

I own the SRM450's and I have gotten used to a full clear warm sound, which was lacking in the mono mode.

However, walking around the audotorium, I was very impressed by the sound dispersion that UD was talking about.
the sound was even clear in the next room.

I'll be keeping my Mackies for a while

Eric

#107848 - 03/18/04 01:23 PM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
I have to agree a 100% with Scott, that the sound was thin and brittle.

Remember, Scott was playing a Tyros ..... that's the reason. Play some comercial audio files through a Bose ..... it's unbelievable.

#107849 - 03/18/04 01:48 PM Re: My Personal Impression of the Bose PAS (after a 2nd Audition) !
Roel Offline

UD,
Oops..... I don't think Scott is happy with your remarks :
It can be read as :
a. SCOTT was playing the Tyros
b. Scott was playing the TYROS

Which was your intention (a or b ) ?

btw This is the general arranger keyboard forum. Our speakers at least must be able to handle keyboards ! (I try not to be a DJ that plays commercial audio files ;-) )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online