SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#106837 - 11/14/03 09:30 PM Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I would like to just stick to using my JBL Eon 10G2's (360 watts)with my Tyros, but I see the possibility of needing a couple of monitors when playing out where perhaps I may have to position them in such a way that I may not be able to hear everything like I want to .

I know that I do not want a 3-piece mini speaker system. I am sure they sound great, but to me that's just a little more than I want to carry around.

I have seen these Roland MA-8's (8 watts) and MA-12's (10 watts) online. They look like they may work as well as say the speakers in my PSR2000 for my purposes. I imagine I could get the brackets and attach them to my Tyros or even better just lay them on the floor pointing up at me.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these and what your thoughts are.

Best
Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 11-14-2003).]

#106838 - 11/15/03 05:15 AM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Scott, I have a pair of MA-8's. Their sound quality is very good. I have used them at home for a few years as computer monitors (my son plays loud war games and the house shudders when the bombs go off. BUT, (and there's always a but...)the few times I tried to use them as monitors for band practice they bottomed out; that is there was too much music to use at a critical volume. That would be my concern; that you couldn't play them loud enough to be beneficial as monitors. My suggestion is to get a 'hot spot' monitor from Galaxy http://www.sweetwater.com/store/manufacturer/Galaxy/ or Carvin http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=PM5-B&P1=MON (or even Boss or Peavey) that is made to take those kinds of sound levels. The hot spots can be mounted on a mic stand, tilt them up from the ground or place them just about anywhere. They're small and light and you'd only need one.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-15-2003).]

#106839 - 11/15/03 05:59 AM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The signal from digital kbs is too strong and full of transient peaks that processed, compressed video games do not have, and I doubt that you will ever be satisfied with either MA set. (This is one reason why I always require on board speakers.) If you need an option - try the core systems Pa5x140 http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--GXYPA5X140
(powered hot spot)it's loud, clear and small.

#106840 - 11/15/03 03:42 PM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx for the input guys. That's why I come here with these questions.

I may now even consider the Yamaha YST-MS50. I see you can still get them pretty cheap. I originally didn't want 3 extra pieces to carry around, but I see some of the guys are attaching a handle to the sub woofer and attaching the 2 smaller speakers with velcro and just leave them attached to the sub as one unit. That wouldn't be too bad. I suppose for a small job I could just take them. But if I wanted to use them as a monitor along with my Eons I am wondering where I would plug them in? Into the headphone jack?

The hot spot speakers look interesting. I may not really need a monitor, its more in just being prepared. I don't sing and I think thats why most of the guys like built in speakers or seperate monitors.

But supposing I did have an interest in the hot spots. Again, where would I plug those in. And if I went that way I would think I would prefer having two because the Yammies sound so much better in stereo. That being the case that could get quite expensive.

Has anybody tried the Fender 1270 (I think) powered monitor? It runs about the same price.

Uncle Dave, I was wondering how you like the sound on the small jobs when you just take along one 10 Eon. I would think the sound would not be good enough to suit you. I know there is quite a difference between mono and stereo sound.

As always thanx for the great suggestions. It sure saves one a lot of unnecessary running around and makes for less risk of getting the wrong item.

Scott

#106841 - 11/15/03 03:48 PM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The YS50's will work just fine off the headphone output. They have a volume control. I don't believe you'll find anything even close for that price.
Incidentally, I don't recommend it, but I've dropped mine twice from a height of about three feet. Other that some skin marks and scratchs, no damage. I bought a second set for backup or future use.
I'm using them as my sole speakers for everything up to 50 or 60 people and have got nothing but good reviews.
DonM

#106842 - 11/15/03 06:29 PM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Why can't you just position the JBLs on either side of you and a little to the rear, then face them at slight angles toward the rear/center of the room where you're playing? Then you would be able to hear your keyboard and vocals alike without using monitors at all. I've done this a few times when I was using the 740s and had no problems with feedback--but of course this will depend on how you EQ the vocals.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#106843 - 11/15/03 07:51 PM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Getting back to the hot spots - are you able to run a speaker line off your Eon - if so, that's the easy way. I've seen the Fender and it's nice; comes powered and non-powered. The powered hot spot would be great too, the non-powered Galaxy and Carvin have a volume pot. You have lots of good options to choose from.

#106844 - 11/15/03 11:25 PM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
Scott Langholff Offline

Gary

This is what I've done so far with no problem. I don't sing, so no feedback.

I plan to just tilt them back on the floor and let the sound bounce off the ceiling. I'm going to try to avoid the poles. Seems like so far I have been plenty loud this way with room to spare.

What got me to thinking this over was the last job was outside, on a porch with a deck. I was under the roof part. It turned out I had to set the speakers upright so the sound would travel well enough to where everybody was dancing. I could still hear fine, but it just got me to thinking and wondering.

Chances are I will be fine with just the two Eon 10G2's. So far I've had to turn my bass down so maybe these without a sub will work.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 11-15-2003).]

#106845 - 11/15/03 11:40 PM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The hot spot I showed you was a powered unit, so it CAN run off the back of the eon, and if you can't hear the mains ..... even if they're not in your face - something's wrong. A monitor only has to bring the signal closer to you .... not make it concert volume.

As for using one eon - I only do that in small, tight situations. The eons don't have much bass by themselves, and if I can only have one speaker .... chances are, I'll take the woofer and use the kb speakers as full range tops. (I did just that tonight)Unconventional useage, I know, but it works great. Adds punch and bottom without excessive volume. An eon alone can't do that.
Mono/stereo? That's a situation call. It makes little differance in most places. The one who benifits the most from a stereo mix is the player. The audience usually suffers if the speakers are spread too far apart. It creates holes in the sound blanket around the room. I prefer to use stereo, but I won't compromise the correct blend for the room just for my comfort. that's why I insist on stereo monitors in my face (kb) The monitors are always set for MY comfort, and the mains are set for optimum audience coverage.

The whole monitor issue is very personal. Some acts don't seem to need them at all. Watch the Ed Sullivan tapes of the Beatles - not a PA in sight, much less monitors, and who could hear over Tom Cavanaugh and his wife screaming in the front row anyway ?

#106846 - 11/16/03 04:50 AM Re: Anyone familiar with Roland MA-8 or MA-12 monitors?
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Poasted by Scott
I don't sing, so no feedback.

Scott, I do sing, and placement of the speakers has always been a major problem.
I never used a monitor speaker until the Kn7. I find I do not strain my voice as much now, it will be part of my set up from on.

Speakers are funny creatures, what you hear may not be what they hear.

1-Danger--having the speaker just to the right of you, facing out. You hear the lows and very little of the mid's and high's.
The first time I used a woofer with my set up, all I could hear is the low end.
2-I agree with Dave, stereo is for the player. If the sax is paned to the right, the people on the right hear a strong sax, on the left a weaker distant sax. Only you and the people in the center benifit.

My best set up (no vocal) is one Eon 10 on stands on either side of me slanter toward the center. This normally keeps the sound directed towards the dance floor not the tables. Consider the speakers to be like a water hose, they travel in the direction that they are pointed in. The bass or lows do not.
I was explaned to me like this; During a thunder storm, walking in an open field, if you hear the crack in lightening you know which direction it is coming from. High sounds. If the boom comes, the low end, it seems to be coming from all over---you can not tell it's direction. And so it is with speakers.

1-On stands my Eon 10's do not have a great deal of low end.
2-On the floor they plenty of low end.
3-There are times when I do use one Eon 10.
4-I find the Eon 10's on stands do not do well on a job that requires great volume. Then I add a Eon GE15 for the low end. I have been thinking about a woofer-??
5-On 85% of my jobs, I use a Mackie mixer to control my voice, the keyboard, and a Mini disk player. I want and need control to do a good job. Bass, tereble, volume--over all EQ. I will be retiring the Mini Disk player now that the KN7 can play audio.

I'm coming to visit you and give you singing lessons. ha ha ha

Years ago when I played guitar with my live band I learned something very important, the guitar solo that I took so long to perfect got some attention from the audience. When I was singing, the attention was multiplied. People can relate to voice and words far more than they can relate to an instrument being played. There are some horrible sounded voices that have made the big time. It is not just the quality of the voice, it's how you use it. Don't think Sinatra, think Johnny Cash, think Louie Armstrong.

Hoped I helped, John C.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online