SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#106644 - 08/06/06 03:09 PM Arranger keyboard on a computer
dschultze Offline

Loc: UK
Hi All,

I hope this isn't a daft question but is there any way to recreate an arranger keyboard from computer software? I guess I'm meaning by having a controller keyboard connected to a PC (or for me a Mac would be better) and having software to provide the sounds, styles, control etc.

I guess I'm basically asking if I can recreate the components of a top of the range arranger in a computer.

David.

#106645 - 08/06/06 04:55 PM Re: Arranger keyboard on a computer
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
]Hi David,
you can have a software arranger, but I think aMac could be a problem.

join us on the software arranger & softsynth
forum http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/f orum...=100&LastLogin=

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 08-06-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#106646 - 08/07/06 03:38 AM Re: Arranger keyboard on a computer
Magica Alfa Offline

You can use Lionstracs Mediastation
This is keyboard and PC in one hand.
Software is fast and good.
www.lionstracs.com

Best regards.

Magica Alfa

#106647 - 08/07/06 04:12 AM Re: Arranger keyboard on a computer
Ketron User Offline

You can use WERSI.
This is Keyboard-Organ and PC in one hand.
Software is very fast and very good.
www.wersi.net

Best regards,

Wersi-player.

[This message has been edited by Ketron User (edited 08-07-2006).]

#106648 - 08/07/06 06:01 AM Re: Arranger keyboard on a computer
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Hi David,

There are many ways to set up a soft arranger. The commercial venues offered to you in this thread are among them, and although I haven't tried either, they appear to me that they would be quite viable, but perhaps also a bit costly for an initial setup.

Having done this for a little while myself, I recommend starting out with what you already have ( a computer and perhaps a midi capable keyboard ) and low cost modules ( along with some very decent free ones ) .

There is a thread on the software arranger forum in which the developer of One Man Band readily admits that hardware might work better for most users. While I appreciate his candor, and actually agree in some ways, at this point I like my software system better than any hardware arranger I've owned. Not for convenience sake, since I do find it easier to navigate the more complex functions of an arranger on a self contained hardware surface. The one reason I like it better is the sounds. Unmatched by anything hardware I've owned to date, but I haven't owned any of the latest either ( Tyros 2 G70 etc ). My two current hw arrangers are the PA80 and MZ2000.

OTOH, I use my Motif ES as my controller, and it has enough assignable knobs and controllers that I can play live very comfortably with it. I don't have them labeled as a real arranger does, but with jiust a few hours of practice, my hands and feet learned exactly what to do in order to change variations and do fills, etc. Kind of the equivalent of learning to drive... It's not something I have to consciously think about any more.

I won't tell you it's easy to setup and get running so that it becomes your unique instrument ( it isn't ). It's time consuming, with a pretty big learning curve. It can also become costly if you start adding the highest quality sample sets and synth modules. Is it worth it ? Definitely yes, for me. Maybe or maybe not for others.

Chief adavantages for me :

Ability to customize my soundset and supporting setup exactly as I like it.

Better sounds than any hw can get, and you can always add new ones at a fraction of the cost of a new kb.

Chief disadvantages for me:

Not as user friendly in a live setup as using an "all in one" HW arranger.

Spent a lot of money, sometimes on things that I get and later don't find to be particularly useful inside of my setup.

There is plenty more info here at SZ. You might try a search for FLR ( Frank Rosenthal's name for his awesome system ). Also Rikki has quite a lot of experience with this stuff as well.

Best Wishes,

AJ

#106649 - 08/07/06 03:41 PM Re: Arranger keyboard on a computer
dschultze Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting feedback.

I'll have a further browse around the SZ forums.

As I'm playing the PA1X and KN7000 at the moment there's probably not much more I can get from a software arranger but the replies are interesting never the less.

Thanks again.

David.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online