SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#106577 - 01/06/06 05:57 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
I just read your postings, and I would like to how USB works with EXR. (I just bought an exr-7s.)
1. The USB cable has TWO functions: The first is: send/receive MIDI messages. So If you have a program in the omputer, what can send midi (usually a sequencer like sonar) then that program can play midi files on the EXR. Or if you play something on the EXR than it can be "recorded on the computer sequencer program. This function works only if there is no MIDI cable plugged into the EXR, and you DID NOT pressed the USB button on the EXR (that is EXR's the display does not have PC<->USB text on it.)

The second function of the USB cable is to transfer files between the computer and the flash memory of the EXR. In order to do so, you MUST PRESS the USB button on the EXR. The the text PC<->USB should appear on the display of the EXR. In this mode the EXR DOES NOT sen or receive MIDI data from /to the computer.

By the way I like the instrument very much.

Regards, Gábor

#106578 - 01/06/06 07:53 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
If you connect your PC to the EXR with the USB cable what do you expect to see or do? Yes, the USB will act like a MIDI interface, but isn't the purpose of USB connectivity to give you some access to the EXR op sys (OS). Heck, if all the USB does is act like a MIDI cable, then BIG DEAL.

If you connect any EXR-model to a Win XP PC, without installing ANY driver at all, the EXR shows up as "Removable disk" in your Windows.

If you install the USB driver that Roland provided, an additional function of the USB connection is installed: MIDI over USB. In your Configuration Panel you should be able to asign MIDI-OUT to "Roland EXR". In all of your MIDI-applications, you should be able to asign MIDI-IN and MIDI-OUT to "Roland EXR".

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online