SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98548 - 01/05/06 07:24 AM OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Sorry if this has a thread. I did a search, couldn't find anything.

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution (or a non-solution) for someone with a sizeable drug bill. My mother is the picture of health. Age 80, amazing health. I dunno what she takes. Some kind of osteoporosis preventative drug, maybe one for tryglycerides, I don't know what all. None of her bloodwork has had alarming stats, just bad enough they say she needs to get on something.

I am not one for drugs unless you MUST have them... sometimes, you do. But often, you can get off of them. But that's another can of worms. Suffice to say, the doctor is god to her. Funny to me, the docs NEVER try to get you off of drugs.

Her drugs cost $268 / month. Somehow, she has been getting them free through some program. Now, she said they cut her off because she has too much money in savings. (Which is not that much.)

So, now, she is scrambling to try to figure out the best "deal" available. It's a mess. Just wondering if anyone knows of a solution or if this is just the way it is. Or any advice.

Also, has something changed with elderly people and medication coverage?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#98549 - 01/05/06 07:29 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I don't know what to tell you, but sorry to hear that. I was going to suggest a program that helps with (free) meds, but you mentioned that she was already on that and then they dropped her.

The US's prescription drug costs are a joke. The price we pay for meds is unacceptable when compared to other nations. It's just big business man.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#98550 - 01/05/06 07:44 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
I CUT MY DRUG BILL FROM 264.00 TO UNDER 150
BY BUYING FROM ONLINE PHARMACY IN CANADA.
VERY EASY TRANSACTION ,DELIVERED TO MY DOOR.
ONE OF MY DRUGS COME FROM THE UK. I FIGURE
IT THIS WAY, IF WE IMPORT EVERYTHING WE USE,
WHY NOT THE DRUGS. DON'T LET THE FDA TELL YOU
THERE NOT THE SAME.. MINE ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AND AT HALF THE COST. THE PRICES IN THE
US ARE CRAZY. GOOD LUCK

#98551 - 01/05/06 07:46 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
wrinkles is right. Don't let the FDA lie to you about that. They're the same drugs. The FDA doesn't like it because it cuts into their profits, and they'll do and say whatever they can not to lose anything. Keep in mind the FDA is just business. They're in it for profits. They'll protect their profits any way they can.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#98552 - 01/05/06 09:43 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Yes, there has been a significant change to drug coverage tied to Medicare ... there are now numerous plans to choose from depending on the drugs you use, how often etc., etc., and perhaps income as well ... from what I 've heard, it takes an 'expert' to analyze and decide on the best plan for an individual.

I don't know whether 'imported' drugs are the same or not (I'm not saying they aren't), but one thing we have done through our med plan is purchase prescription drugs on line in quantity ... you can get a 3x dose supply and only pay the deductible for 2x ... It's a savings ...
t.

#98553 - 01/05/06 11:17 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Bill said, "Funny to me, the docs NEVER try to get you off of drugs."
I could rant on this, but there are doctors on the zone.
Squak_D said, "Keep in mind the FDA is just business.". It's SUPPOSE to be an impartial US federal government agency. Unfortunately Squeak is right.
Starkeeper

#98554 - 01/05/06 11:40 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
Dnj Offline

Gee, I'm glad we're back on Topic again..

#98555 - 01/05/06 11:44 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
since i pay cash for my health care (can't
get insured) the less i pay for meds the
better arranger i can afford

#98556 - 01/05/06 11:54 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
MrEd Offline

Bill,
Look up the prices of those drugs here at this Canada based source: http://www.doctorsolve.com/

I know some people (customers) in the US that have been saving good chunks of money with this service.

Those customers have stuck with this source for a few years so the savings must be pretty significant.
I think its going to depend on the specific drug as to how great the savings are.

#98557 - 01/06/06 12:18 AM Re: OT - How can you afford prescription drugs
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Don't you wish you had a National Health Service like we do in the U.K. For all it's faults, at least we wrinklies get ALL drugs absolutely free without any means testing.

We told you at the time that you would regret that war of independence. LOL

Trevor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online