SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106567 - 09/07/05 01:15 PM Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
imagium Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi!

I have a Roland EXR-7s and I want to connect it to my Windows XP system using USB.

I followed the readme on the CD to install the Roland USB driver. According to the Windows Hardware Assistant the keyboard is operational and a new entry called Roland EXR showed up in the control panel that allows me to load a normal or a light configuration.

If I connect the keyboard to my PC and turn it on there's this sound that you always get when a new USB device is connected. However, I cannot see the keyboard in the Windows Explorer.

A reinstallation of the USB driver and the troubleshooting guide on the CD did not help as well. How can I get this working? I'd appreciate any help and hints.

Regards, Tanja

#106568 - 09/07/05 05:17 PM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Just guessing, but don't you have to open up a Roland or EXR7 "program"? Do you have an icon on your desktop? If so, you might just have to move it down to the toolbox line. In all of this have you ever shutdown and restarted the computer; that could be a necessity. Good luck.

#106569 - 09/07/05 05:59 PM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hi,
This isn't related to your question, but how do you like the EXR-7s??? How is the sound quality? Can you edit with the sequencer (meaning panning, volume, DPS level per track, and reverb/chorus per track).

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#106570 - 09/08/05 05:14 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
imagium Offline

Hi!

Just guessing, but don't you have to open up a Roland or EXR7 "program"? Do you have an icon on your desktop?

No, you do not install a program, there is just an USB driver on the CD. If everything works fine you should be able to see the stuff that is stored on the EXR-7s in the Windows Explorer and audio software should be able to communicate with it like it was connected using MIDI.

In all of this have you ever shutdown and restarted the computer; that could be a necessity.

I restarted my computer several times but it did not help. However, I just found something interesting on the Roland website:

Clean All for Windows XP/2000 (2005.7)
This tool is for uninstallation of the USB MIDI/Audio driver for Roland/EDIROL/BOSS products. By using this tool, you may be able to solve the problem: "Cannot use the driver though the driver is installed" http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=813

So I will try the Clean All tool and let you know if it solved the problem.

Regards, Tanja

#106571 - 09/08/05 05:59 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
imagium Offline

Hi!

how do you like the EXR-7s??? How is the sound quality?

I like the EXR-7s and for my usage it is a great keyboard. The sound quality is good, it does also include some styles from higher priced Roland keyboards.

However, I cannot really compare it to other keyboards as it is my first keyboard. I learned how to play electric organ 20 years ago when I was a child, then I played for several years, paused for some years when I went to university and recently started again.

Can you edit with the sequencer (meaning panning, volume, DPS level per track, and reverb/chorus per track).

Actually I have no idea, I bought the keyboard in May and then I just started playing without reading the manual. I think I'm currently using only 10 % of the keyboard's features. I will read through the manual when I have more time and I also wanted to connect the EXR-7s to my computer to work with audio software.

Regards, Tanja

#106572 - 09/08/05 07:42 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by imagium:

Hi!

[b]Just guessing, but don't you have to open up a Roland or EXR7 "program"? Do you have an icon on your desktop?

No, you do not install a program, there is just an USB driver on the CD. If everything works fine you should be able to see the stuff that is stored on the EXR-7s in the Windows Explorer and audio software should be able to communicate with it like it was connected using MIDI.

In all of this have you ever shutdown and restarted the computer; that could be a necessity.

Regards, Tanja[/B]

If you connect your PC to the EXR with the USB cable what do you expect to see or do? Yes, the USB will act like a MIDI interface, but isn't the purpose of USB connectivity to give you some access to the EXR op sys (OS). Heck, if all the USB does is act like a MIDI cable, then BIG DEAL. It seems that Roland would provide some sort of 'program' (for want of a better word) that would act like or interface with the EXR inner workings. I don't see where WinExplorer would do that. This is interesting for me, so keep me posted.

#106573 - 09/08/05 08:55 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
Charlie71 Offline

Loc: Alice, TX 78332
Howdy,
I have the EXR-3 and it works basically the same. First off, the USB connector has NOTHING to do with playing MIDI, it is only to transfer SONGS (.MID)or STYLES (.STY) from your computer to the Flash Memory of the EXR. You DO NOT have to load any drivers. Here's how to connect:
1. Turn on XP computer
2. Turn on EXR
3. Connect the USB cable from computer to EXR.
4. Press the "USB" button (upper left) on EXR and you should then see "PC<>EXR" on display. If you do not see this, then you must have a bad USB cable.
5. If all fails, get your manual and look at "Data Management, Working with Flash Memory".
Hope this helps...
Charlie

Charlie

#106574 - 09/08/05 10:17 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
cassp Offline

Charlie are you saying that you cannot run a sequencer like Cakewalk and have the song play through the EXR using the USB cable? I find that hard to believe, especially when Roland says that it's supposed to walk witn PC programs like that.

#106575 - 09/09/05 11:43 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
imagium Offline

Hi!

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie71:
1. Turn on XP computer
2. Turn on EXR
3. Connect the USB cable from computer to EXR.
4. Press the "USB" button (upper left) on EXR and you should then see "PC<>EXR" on display. If you do not see this, then you must have a bad USB cable.
5. If all fails, get your manual and look at "Data Management, Working with Flash Memory".

Thanks, Charlie. This helped me a lot. I'm now able to access the MIDI songs, styles and user programs of my EXR-7s in the Windows Explorer!

Regards, Tanja

#106576 - 09/13/05 07:25 AM Re: Connect EXR-7s to PC using USB
Charlie71 Offline

Loc: Alice, TX 78332
Howdy y'all...
Sorry, I was out of town for several days and couldn't get online.
First of all, Tanja... you're quite welcome.
Now, CassP, I wasn't addressing the MIDI functionality of the EXR-3, just the USB...
YES, the EXR-3 has great MIDI functionality. I connect my laptop to my EXR-3 with the Yamaha UB16 connector and play my pre-arranged MIDI files through the keyboard and it sounds AWESOME (Thanks to Gary Diamond). Plus, I can play along with the MIDI as it is playing! But, NO, you cannot use the USB cable to communicate MIDI back and forth between the laptop and the keyboard.
Hope this clears up the confusion
Later....
Charlie

[This message has been edited by Charlie71 (edited 09-13-2005).]

Charlie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online