SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106383 - 03/17/04 10:44 AM Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
I went to the Guitar center, and I really liked the Motif ES.. Although its not a full blown arranger, it did have chord recognition and it was rather inspiring playing the guitar sounds, etc etc...

Now, the thing im considering is this,
I already own a Korg I30 arranger, and was thinking about selling it to buy the ES. And if I found that I still need the arranger, I was thinking of using OMB or even getting a QY100 yamaha arranger module.

Then I thought, What if I buy a controller, like the Edirol PCR 80, with the money from selling the i30 and use software arranger plus sound plug ins sounds to do my music. But then I get confused, cause Ive heard that if you use plug ins, there will be a huge latency from the time you hit the key to when it comes out the speakers.

Guys, can you guys give me some ideas. I want to be able to still have the ability to do songs quickly but also have the ability to get more sophisticated like the way the motif ES provides.

Do you guys know which way would be better for me? Please help me out guys.. thanks..

best,
Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#106384 - 03/17/04 10:58 AM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Well, if you want to have arranger capabilities for live performance, then the best option is to keep the I30 and buy the Motif ES. You can set up I30 and Motif via midi to play arranger functions in I30 and use some (or all) sounds from the Motif ES. For example, if you like guitars from Motif more than I30 then setup motif to recieve guitar channel from I30 and have best of both worlds.

If live performance is not a priority, then you could switch to soft synth type arrangement, but I always find software synths more cumbersome to use than the hardware stuff. I also like to have an arranger and a workstation to complete my setup.

As far as latency, it really depends on your computer setup and the kind of audio interface you are using. If you have a decent computer with a recent audio interface (something that supports ASIO or WDM) then latencies are pretty low and un-noticeable.

#106385 - 03/17/04 11:44 AM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I own a Motif ES 8 that mostly sits unused because I haven't had the time to really learn how to get comfortable with Yamaha's user-hostile OS, if that's even possible. Everything else I own, from arrangers to keyboards and softsynth studios, is easier and more intuitive to make music with... so when I want to make music, I shy away from my Motif. I'm seriously thinking of selling it while it's hot and just keeping what I know will get the job done until my dream controller comes out someday.

#106386 - 03/17/04 12:00 PM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Guys, thank you so much for your ideas..You guys rock.

Pro,
I was reading in another post that you made, that you rather use Reason for composing. Does reason have arranger capabilities?

Ok, here is the thing. I have come to the point where I want to be more creative as far as making my songs. I know the arranger give you an idea of what your song will sound like, but the final product should have one's own inspirations..

The thing is that my i30 sounds are getting pretty out dated. So I was thinking, maybe I can get a nice controller, which like the Edirol PCR 80, only goes for like 300 bucks. Ive read really nice reviews for this one and I think although its a bit more expensive, it seems to have what one would need to control cubase with the sliders and buttons, to control a software synth like One man band.

The thing is, if I sell my i30, a guy is willing to buy it from me for 1300 bucks.. I want to make the most of that money and have something that will jump start my creative juices.. Thats something that I noticed that the Motif ES did while I tried it out at Guitar center.

Only thing is, I dont want to spend all that money on a synth if I can go software and still get the same enjoyment and quality..

Here are the specs of my current PC to give you a better idea..

Windows 98se, I have XP, but I currently use 98SE. XP2600+ CPU @333 FSB, 512 MB of PC3200 DDR, Two 120 7200 RPM Hard disks., Cubase VST 32 5.1r1, my soundcard is the Korg Oasys PCI,( which is why I use 98SE and not XP), and lastly, my korg i30..

I dont do any gigging, I mostly do all my recording at home and I want to use my cash to the best possible way..
You see, If I buy something, I have to sell something first. Thats why Im not sure about selling my i30 until im sure.

So I though, if I bought the Controller, that would leave me with a lot of cash to use for other things...

The reason I like the arranger programs or keyboards, is that they help me build the backing sequences rather quickly and one can customize them better or to one's originality afterwards.. I wonder if I make any sense.. but I know you guys understand me cause you guys use arrangers as well..

Thank you guys...

best,

Musikman

Musikman4Christ........

#106387 - 03/17/04 04:31 PM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi Musicman,

i use also the qy 100 of Yamaha at home.
I have tried it for arranger on my keyboard it works also but i dont love some styles.
It's a great instrument for making ideas of arrangements, you can use it everywhere it's compact and you take it with you were you go. The sounds are good to use in a recording mood for taking up some ideas for arrangements or songs.

notlos

wwww.notlos.com

------------------

#106388 - 03/17/04 05:26 PM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I own the Tyros AND the Motif and this is a combination that can't be beat (ok maybe a Hammond and a Steinway).

The Motif ES inspires my virtuoso abilities, composition, and the weighted keys are a dream.

The Tyros is a fantastic arranger and the two compliment each other wonderfully.

If I had to pick one? I'd pick the Motif. But it is NOT an arranger and do not make the mistake of considering it an Arranger.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#106389 - 03/18/04 03:15 AM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Al,
I remember that before buying the Motif you have been talking a lot about how you had been impressed by the Yamaha P-250 (digital piano); should you come back, do you still that the Motif 88 is a better choice? How would you rate the Motif Grand Pianos vs the P-250's ones?
Have you ever tried to use the Motif as a master keyboard for the Tyros?
Thanks

#106390 - 03/18/04 03:39 AM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Keep the i30 and buy the Mofif rack. It's essentially the same as the ES. That gives you new, fresh sounds with tried and true performances you are already used to.

#106391 - 03/18/04 05:12 AM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Uncle Dave, my understanding is the Motif rack is the old Motif and not the ES update. It's still a great box, but if the ES is essential, the rack won't do it. Otherwise, I agree with your assessment.

#106392 - 03/18/04 07:00 AM Re: Guys, I need your advice regarding motif ES....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The rack has always been an upgrade over the original MO. It has the expanded polyphony as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online