SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#106348 - 01/14/05 07:50 PM Has anyone tried using a second hand mul ti media card with their PSR3000 or DGX's
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
just wondering if anyone's tried using a pre used smartmedia card with their psr 3000.
Reason I'm asking, is I tried using my camera's smart media card with my DGX305. Came up with unformatted card, and the dgx wouldn't format it.
Then worse still, I accidently formatted my dgx's 16mb card(that I had been using quite successfully, in my multi card reader. I wasn't so much concerned about the stuff I lost ( as I had it backed up on my hard drive) but , when I tried to use the card again in the dgx, message came up, not formatted, but again the dgx wouldn't format the card.

Fortunately I can still use both cards in the camera, but neither in my keyboard.

So wondering if any psr owners have had a similar problem? A bit of a worry as I've heard rumours smart media cards are being discontinued, so I've always thought along the lines that if I couldn't get a new one, I'd get a second hand one. I'm just hoping that it's my cards that are faulty, and not a problem with the dgx.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#106349 - 01/14/05 08:09 PM Re: Has anyone tried using a second hand mul ti media card with their PSR3000 or DGX's
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Rikki, try formatting the Smart media cards on your PC, then try re- formatting again on your Yammy..

#106350 - 01/14/05 08:25 PM Re: Has anyone tried using a second hand mul ti media card with their PSR3000 or DGX's
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
When formatting on your PC, remember to format to FAT....not FAT32.

I didn't find a need to re-format in the keyboard. It has been working flawlessly.

Smart Media cards are becoming a little harder to find. Some local retailers that used to carry them did not have any in stock. But there were several sources online.

Rather than depend on the smart media card exclusively, take advantage of the USB socket and back up everything you need to a thumb drive. The fact that it gives you several storage options is what makes the PSR 3000 so great.

Eddie

#106351 - 01/15/05 02:05 PM Re: Has anyone tried using a second hand mul ti media card with their PSR3000 or DGX's
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Fran,
unfortunately that's what I did
( accidently). I had an sd card and the smart card plugged into a multi card reader and I formatted the wrong drive, now the dgx won't recognize the card anymore, gives me a message , format? - yes,- starts to do it , then stops with an error.

Just hoping it's not some flaw in the system.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Rikki, try formatting the Smart media cards on your PC, then try re- formatting again on your Yammy..

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#106352 - 01/15/05 02:17 PM Re: Has anyone tried using a second hand mul ti media card with their PSR3000 or DGX's
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Eddie,
Just gave it a try.
Unfortunately didn't work
Mines only a dgx 305 but it uses smart media too ( might need to upgrade haahaa)I figured there's probably a lot more psr3000 owners using smart cards than there would be dgx305/505 owners.

The dgx305 only has one user style available and unfortunately it's only accessible via the card, the style doesn't appear to be able to be loaded via usb. Normally I use OMB software arranger for playing user styles with it, but it was handy being able to load the odd style directly.

Thanks, hoping I've got a faulty card, but just in case, it's obviously safer not to format card in computer.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
When formatting on your PC, remember to format to FAT....not FAT32.

Rather than depend on the smart media card exclusively, take advantage of the USB socket and back up everything you need to a thumb drive. The fact that it gives you several storage options is what makes the PSR 3000 so great.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 01-15-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online