SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#106132 - 07/25/01 12:37 PM PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
All the buzz seems to be focused at this little beast, so I sent a few questions to Yamaha service about the 2000. Here is the responce I got:

The power supply is a "line lump," not a "wall wart." However it is much smaller and lighter than the previous line lump (PA6). Don't know about the speakers yet because the 2000 is still a prototype. Production models should be here in September. The harmonizer is way improved over the 740; it is balanced better in relation to Accompaniment volume levels and has 3-band sweepable EQ, a noise gate and a compressor (like the 9000). There also seems to be one more harmony part than the 740.

YCA Support

#106133 - 07/25/01 02:00 PM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
All the buzz seems to be focused at this little beast, so I sent a few questions to Yamaha service about the 2000. Here is the responce I got:

The power supply is a "line lump," not a "wall wart." However it is much smaller and lighter than the previous line lump (PA6). Don't know about the speakers yet because the 2000 is still a prototype. Production models should be here in September. The harmonizer is way improved over the 740; it is balanced better in relation to Accompaniment volume levels and has 3-band sweepable EQ, a noise gate and a compressor (like the 9000). There also seems to be one more harmony part than the 740.

YCA Support

Great Info. I'm getting one.

ViLo

------------------

#106134 - 07/25/01 03:43 PM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
Beakybird Offline

Everyone wants to know how many styles you can store on this thing and I also want to know how you can choose between the three intros and endings. DanO says that you can store about 100 styles on this. Is this really true? That is wonderful news if it is. I'm getting one too.

Thank you to anyone who has more info on the keyboard. Larry

#106135 - 07/25/01 06:31 PM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Beakybird

Be careful with statistics like the number of user styles you can store. This may depend on the size of the styles. It would be nice to know the total memory available for storing styles as well as the maximum number of styles that can be stored. Also, it would be nice to know if there is a maximum size style that can be stored.

Clif

#106136 - 07/25/01 07:33 PM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
Beakybird Offline

That's a great point Cliff. There are many styles for the PSR 9000 that cannot be uploaded onto the PSR 740 and this is a drag. So it would be better to get a global figure. I wonder if the styles on this thing are really rehashes of the PSR 740. I hope not. Well, time will tell.

Larry

#106137 - 07/25/01 07:52 PM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
OK....I know the engineer for Yamaha . He told me 1 meg. for style storage on the PSR2000. Dano

#106138 - 07/25/01 07:59 PM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Did they add copy/paste to sequencer? Did they add memory on board to support sequencing in ram instead of floppydisk?

#106139 - 07/25/01 08:50 PM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks, Dan

So that would 100 10k styles, but about 15-20 big styles. I have a number of Yamaha styles converted from Solton keyboards that run 40k to 64k. My keyboard uses two-variation styles; four-variation styles would be maybe twice as large. So "your mileage may vary" applies here.

Clif

#106140 - 07/25/01 11:03 PM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I spoke to Yamaha today regarding the 100 styles. Just like the PSR9000, after recording or loading 10 styles, the next page of 10 pops up. So, the total capable is 100. However, as everyone else has mentioned, the total memory will dictate how many styles the 2000 will hold. According to the head tech in LA, there is still no owners manual for the ones they have or specs and they don't know the total memory. Maybe Dan O is correct, but this tech says there is no way for the guys at Yamaha US to know the answer yet.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#106141 - 07/26/01 12:06 AM Re: PSR2k - new info from Yamaha service
Beakybird Offline

I have a question now about this. Could someone who's familiar with the PSR 9000 answer? Let's assume that the PSR 2000 is like the PSR 9000 as far as flash memory. With the PSR 740, if the 3 USER Styles are occupied, and I want to add a style on the fly during a performance, I

1. Press LOAD to access styles on the floppy,
2. scroll with the wheel to the style I want,
3. press NEXT
4. Press NEXT again to replace the first user style
5. Press EXIT

If the USER styles are all occupied on the PSR 9000 and you want to access a style from the floppy, is it much the same? My fear is that an error message comes up saying: FLASH FULL! I'm afraid of this, because if I want to add a style during the performance, and a bank is full, I would have to take the extra step of deleting a style to make room for the new one. It already takes too much time to add styles from floppy on the PSR 740. I can just manage to do this without my audience getting restless. Any extra time involved in deleting files to make room for new ones would make this operation undoable.

I'm super happy that they got rid of the PSR 740 sound effects on the multi pads. How decisively cheesy that was! I remember when I first got the keyboard and I was performing Zipadee Doo Dah with the Gipsy Swing setting (I think this was the style), and I pressed the one-touch multipad for this style and found out it was Horror sound effects. The senile old folks in my audience were turning their heads to figure out where the ghosts and monsters were coming from.

Larry

Thanks in advance for an answer on this.

Larry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online