SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#105845 - 11/02/07 04:38 PM Skype questions
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I remember seeing a post some time ago where members here used Skype, plugging their keyboards into their computers so they could broadcast direct. (At least I took it it was direct rather than over the mic)

How is this done? I've got the mic working and the webcam. But, when I plug the keyboard into the aux or line in it can be heard through my speakers, but doesn't register on Skype using the audio test, unless, I have the select box checked for line in in the audio controls. (At least this is the way it appears to have worked after trying a bunch of combinations)

I then tried, among several other ways, to use a Y adaptor pluging my mic and keyboard into the mic in. That doesn't work either. Must be an impedence thing.

I also tried using my Behringer mixer to plug in the mic and keyboard. Mic doesn't work then.

OK, Skype guru's, is what I want to do possible, which is to have both mic and keyboard live and ready, or do I have to switch from one or the other in the Advanced Features in the audio contols?

By the way, I see free computer to phone calls in the US and Canada will be over at the end of the year. Anybody know how much that's going to be? I wonder if that will effect international calling.

One last thing. I wanted to test out the ability to call internationally from computer to phone. I wanted to do the 3 month thing for $8.85 to test it out, and when I try to sign up for it all it shows is the $29.95 offer.

I do a search for that and they start talking in Euros and something about 5 months.

So far I have received no answers from customer support or on their forums.

One last question, anyone know what the least amount of Skype Credit is you can buy to call international? So far I saw something about $10. I wanted to buy maybe $5 as a test. Their site is so confusing to me and my wife and some of the terminology that we are a bit miffed

Scott

#105846 - 11/02/07 05:01 PM Re: Skype questions
Scott Langholff Offline

Also, I guess it's still free to talk and/or use a webcam from computer to computer anywhere in the world. Am I correct with this?

#105847 - 11/03/07 02:44 AM Re: Skype questions
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott
Unless your soundcard has a mixer built in, then you will need to switch between Mic and Line inputs.
The alternatives are to use and external mixer and connect its line out to the line in of your soundcard, and set Skype to use the Line Input. (You will need to set the sound levels manually in Skype, as the auto function will not work correctly with an external mixer)
Also remember that most broadband has a much slower upload speed then download speed, which means you will most likely run out of bandwidth when trying to stream music directly over your connection.
Hope this helps

Bill

#105848 - 11/03/07 11:00 AM Re: Skype questions
Scott Langholff Offline

Thank you Bill. I have been successful switching between mic and line, however I tried the line in suggestion and the mic was sounding very poorly. Maybe I am missing something as far as setting this up.

You mention setting Skype to take the line in, I have not found anything specifically within Skype with those kind of settings. I assume you mean the playback and record controls on my computer, which is what I tried without good success at this point.

Any suggestions on how I might get this to work using the external mixer?

#105849 - 11/04/07 06:35 AM Re: Skype questions
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott
Open Skype
Go into Tools, Options, Audio Settings and choose the line in option
Uncheck the box that says “Let Skype adjust my Audio Settings” and then click Save
You will then need to experiment with microphone settings on your external mixer.
If you do not uncheck this box then every time you alter a setting on the mixer, Skype will alter its own settings. (This can cause some pretty weird things to happen) Use the Skype test call to adjust your microphone.
Hope this helps

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online