SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#105714 - 04/27/05 05:41 AM FLR2005 Arranger System
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

I have implemented significant updates and enhancements to the software only to warrant the name change to FLR2005. In summary the changes include:

forte Ensemble update to version 1.5.78
Live - Styler update to version 8.0.21
Cakewalk Project5 to version 2
Cakewalk Sonar to version 4
Kontakt to version 2 includes many new voices or instruments
Added 32 GB Quantum Leap Colossus which includes 14GB GM Bank.

I have not fully tested this new system since most of the software only arrived yesterday. It seems this system will be ideal for studio and club work. It takes about 15 seconds to load the massive instruments for the accompaniment. Kontakt and Colossus are GM compatible. Also, I will continue to use Kontakt for my Melody or Lead vocies. However for other live performances I will continue to use LiveSynth Pro and soundfonts which load instantly for the accompaniment.

I will complete the testing in a week or so and let you know what I find. The initial test run indicates a very reliable system.....and it sounds awesome.

The FLR2005 Arranger System is expensive and is not for the faint of heart when it comes to installation. You should try it. You are worth it!!!

I am excited.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-27-2005).]

#105715 - 04/27/05 06:56 AM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks for the update, Frank. I have ordered Kontakt2 as well. It sounds like it has some arranger features built in via its scripting module. Wow, 14 GB GM bank?!

#105716 - 04/27/05 08:23 AM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
Hi Frank,

I'm really, really interested in what you think of it after you've had a chance to play around with Colossus, and would very much appreciate a "review" of it.

Thanks,
Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#105717 - 04/27/05 08:26 AM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
What IS it? I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Well, software but WHAT software? Sounds interesting but uh, a link?

#105718 - 04/27/05 09:18 AM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I'm interested to see how you like The new version of Project 5 Frank. I tried the earlier version and thought it was a cool app, but I just felt more comfortable working in Orion and FL Studio.

My system is similar in a lot of ways, yet many of my apps are different. I use XLutop Chainer as my plugin host along with SFZ+ for soundfonts. I use OMB instead of Live Styler for auto accomp, although I've been using Jamstix's arfranger function more for drums lately. I've also revisited Jammer Pro 5 and can see a lot of good in it for me. Now that I understand it better,, I think it's a huge step up from version 4. I use several virtual analogs, and I often use Hypersonic for GM. I do use Kontakt and Sonar 4 though.

That's the beauty of it too I think. You can choose among several apps and different paths to customize your own system for the way it works best for you.

Sounds like a very nice system Frank. Enjoy..

AJ

#105719 - 04/27/05 09:56 AM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System

Thanks for all your responses. Yes, I will let you know how well this all works in a week or so.

On another matter Bluezplayer, I would like your views with respect to Live - Styler vs OMB. I don't know what it is the new versions of LS fail on my music computer and find myself having to go back to older versions. LS version 8.0.21 is giving me some trouble after the installation of all my new software. I might beable to find the problem after some more analysis. We'll see.

Thank you

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-27-2005).]

#105720 - 04/27/05 10:19 AM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System
Vquestor Offline

Frank, kudos on your new FLR system, and I look
forward to your analysis.

BTW, are you still using the Audigy card for
soundfonts, or just software like LiveSynth?
And, are Kontakt2 and Colossus also XG compatible?

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 04-27-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 04-27-2005).]

#105721 - 04/27/05 11:41 AM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Frank,
Is Live - Styler update to version 8.0.21, available to the masses, or is this the beta version?
Starkeeper

#105722 - 04/27/05 11:47 AM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
What IS it? I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Well, software but WHAT software? Sounds interesting but uh, a link?

OMB and Live-Styler is software that turns a computer into a software arranger. It requires a MIDI keyboard for input into the computer. The "sounds" or "voices" can be generated from the computer as well. An external speaker system would be connected to the soundcards output.
To generate the voices you could use soundfonts and/or vst (software) instruments or an external module.
As Frank said, this is not for the faint of heart or dummies (like me). I thought I was fairly computer/software literate, but I find setting up to be challenging. . Rikkisbears, Frank, and Bluezplayer are software experts, IMO.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 04-27-2005).]

#105723 - 04/27/05 02:12 PM Re: FLR2005 Arranger System

Oh, Oh, Oh......I think I manufactured another major accident. That's what I get for not asking all the right questions.

It turns out that Kontakt 2 and the Colossus Player (Kompakt) still are unable to send or recieve program change numbers. The saving grace is that I can setup multi-instruments for each style and call them up along with the style and play. It is an extra step but takes no more time other then upfront to setup all these multis. Well I made a mess in my own nest. It is not a waste in that I have a high quality GM Wavetable together with very good GM Drums.

So in summary here's what I need to do to make this work (marginal return on my investment):

Convert all the styles to GM
Setup Multis for all the styles
Ensure all instrument changes within each style element is on a separate channel (fills, variations, intros, endings, etc.).

This is a little much for a marginal old man who may only realize a marginal return on his investment!!!

Maybe someone else could investigate this, but the above is my understanding based on a phone conversation with East West Tech Support. Oh, My....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online