SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#105696 - 07/07/05 07:21 AM G-70 w/audio recording
acoustictones Offline

Loc: Lakeville, MN
Greetings all. I am wondering if any of you believe that the G-70 will ever receive an OS upgrade similar to that of the one that the Fantom X received a few months back? Whick allows it to record upto 8 audio tracks as well as all of the MIDI sequencing that it already did.

And if anyone believes that the USB ports capabilities will ever be upgraded to be able to act as the new V-Synth XT's port does (it will stream both MIDI and Audio to your computer, allowing one to use the synth as your sound card)?

I really think that just addiing these to simple BUT incredible features would help to justify it's price, and would give Roland another reason to continue to believe that they are truly on the cutting edge with this product.

And truthfully, I don't see why either of these features would be all that hard to implement since Roland already has these features on EXISTING product. VERY little in the way of R&D, and once again, what a great way to help justify the price of this unit.

Please let me know what you think.

------------------
DJ
AcousticTones Recording Studios

#105697 - 07/07/05 09:03 AM Re: G-70 w/audio recording
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
I think that it's a bit unrealistic to expect such a development for the G 70; if you ask me why, I will answer that the Fantom X already comes with an internal sampler, and this makes all the difference in the world, when it comes to audio recording.
In the second place, I have a feeling that the G 70 is more or less complete the way it already is, and Roland made the mistake of limiting it too much.
I too would like a sampler, and more expansion slots (instead of just one), and also master keyboard functions (which means the ability of sending bank and program changes to external sound modules and storing them into registrations).
Well, my feeling is that, if one is looking for all these features, must also look to other keyboards, like the Motif ES, the Fantom X or, speaking of arrangers, the Korg PA 1 X pro.
Sad but true.

#105698 - 07/07/05 06:55 PM Re: G-70 w/audio recording
acoustictones Offline

Quote:
Sad but true.

I fear that what you had to sy is most likely right on the money, but I still can't imagine it being all that much work for them to do what I have suggested. These are already developed ideas in other Roland products, and it would really help Roland sell these units. Low cost to Roland AND a number of additional sales...sounds like a no brainer to me.

It might not convice all of the arranger crowd to switch, BUT I am sure that they could pick up a lot of NON arranger people from products like MOTIF SE and Triton user, and even future Fusion buyers.

------------------
DJ

[This message has been edited by acoustictones (edited 07-07-2005).]

#105699 - 07/08/05 07:40 PM Re: G-70 w/audio recording
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Unfortunately, the G-70 has no place for RAM, so it will never have recording or sampling capabilities. Just because it is BASED on the Fantom's 'engine' does not mean the hardware inside it is very similar at all.

There are many things that could (and perhaps will) be added to the G-70's OS, (I have heard they are working on a style converter for OS 2.0) and my favorite thing to add would be a return of the chord sequencer function, but we will definately have to wait for another generation of Roland arrangers before audio playback appears.

And let us not forget, the VA series DID have audio playback (with time-warp!) and it did not sell very well.

I think that the NeKo type of 'One keyboard to rule them all and in the darkness bind them' is perhaps the future of what you are looking for - arranger capabilities, DAW and sampler capabilities without pre-conceived limits. Most keyboard manufacturers must be looking at this approach with nervousness..........

#105700 - 07/08/05 08:24 PM Re: G-70 w/audio recording
acoustictones Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Unfortunately, the G-70 has no place for RAM, so it will never have recording or sampling capabilities.

I did not take that into consideration. good point.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I think that the NeKo type of 'One keyboard to rule them all and in the darkness bind them' is perhaps the future of what you are looking for - arranger capabilities, DAW and sampler capabilities without pre-conceived limits. Most keyboard manufacturers must be looking at this approach with nervousness..........

Another good point.

------------------
DJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online