SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#105215 - 03/17/07 08:27 PM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oh, and don't get me started about all the non-standard note#'s... Be prepared to have to do a bit of Makeup Tooling (sounds kinky, doesn't it?!) on just about every imported style and SMF, at the VERY least to correct the fact that Roland moved the pedal-closed hi-hat down an octave, and replaced it with a half-open...

And then the tom-tom flams, on note #s that used to be regular toms.... Etc., etc., etc.... (sounds like Yul Brynner!)

Oh, well... GM/GS - R.I.P. QED TTFN

#105216 - 03/17/07 09:23 PM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Squeak,

It's done .. I started a new topic but I'll post the link here as well... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UWTTY6HG

The first half of the MP3 is a midifile I made of individual sounds, varying velocities. I used 10 different kits, switching them as I looped the midifile and it played from end to end.

The second half of the MP3 was made in a similar manner, but was recorded with a few quick Blues / Fusion based patterns I threw together.

Maybe I should have posted a few from my vsti kits too. I tried a couple of them with the same patterns I used in the second half of this MP3 and there was no comparison, especially on the electro kits... I still like the T2 as much as ever, but for me the drums are the weak spot... Still they are more than ok to me for live play...

Regards,

AJ

#105217 - 03/18/07 03:19 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i liked the drums Bluesplayer. They sounded realistic enough to me. Perhaps you should have posted the VST drums too so that individuals could tell the difference for themselves. It would also be useful topost those drums in a style to see how the liveness of the overal sound of the drums is effected within the mix.

#105218 - 03/18/07 03:55 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Bluezplayer Offline

I guess I should clarify. I do like the new acoustic ( live ) sets enough that I could use them. The velocity layering works pretty well on some of the drum sounds. I think maybe what bothers me though is that some of the individual drum sounds ( the sidestick is a great example ) have not changed much since I had my PSR530 and 740, and are very easy for me to identify, even in a mix. The average listener wouldn't know that of course.

Where I feel there is a real weakness is in the electronic / dance kits. Their counterparts on the Motif ES are ( my opinion of course ) considerably better, or at least more modern sounding. Would it have killed Yamaha to add a few of those ?

Good idea too Spalding. I'll use the same midifiles and post a few of the Vst kits.

I still think the T2 is an amazing board for what it does. It sounds very good live overall, and that's the key for me. Also, some of the instruments sound very nice to me, even against much bigger sample sets. For example I like the guitars as much as anything I have here in samples, with the possible exception I like Real Guitar a little better. That's pretty amazing to me in itself.. that an all in one board could even be close to an app that uses more samples for a couple of guitar sounds than the T2 uses for it's entire sound palette.

Ok let me load those patterns up in FL and I'll send a few VST drum kits as well.

Regards,

AJ

#105219 - 03/19/07 01:13 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Okay, here is another MP3 file that I made of the Tyros Drum Kits. I tried to include every Drum Kit type of the Tyros into the file.

I think this is more of what SqueakD wanted i.e. different Kits showcasing the different sounds and nuances of each kit and also how convincing and realistic they sound.

>> Tyros Drums Take Two

The Kits in order are:
1. Standard Kit1
2. Symphony Kit (two part)
3. Live! Pop Latin Kit
4. Live! Cuban Kit
5. Live! StyStandard Kit + Percussion
6. Live! Studio Kit
7. Dance Kit
8. Analog Kit
9. Brush Kit (two part)
10. Live! Standard Drums
11. Room Kit
12. Electro Kit
13. StyFunk Kit + Percussion
14. Rock Kit
15. Hit Kit
16. Jazz Kit

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Mike

#105220 - 03/19/07 02:38 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks Mike. I have to be honest though. Those sounds are "not" what I would expect to find on a keyboard that cost over $3,000... With all do respect Yamaha really needs to get their heads out of their backsides on this issue.

So what if the unit has SA voices, ect. The drums are quite weak IMO. They lack any real punch. They're too "dry", and over processed. The sound has been stripped of natural effects. That really brings up more questions. If the tyros drums are "digital samples" how could they sample a kit and NOT get natural effects such as snare buzz????? That makes no sense. They would have to dismantle the kit, and sample the toms, and bass drum unattached, or the released the snare switch on the snare drum itself prior to sampling. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Plus the "rolls" showcased were extremely "mechanical". They lacked any real dynamics. Sounded like a "snare machine gun" If there are dead give-a-ways to a Yamaha drum kit, it's the rim shot, snare, and ride cymbals. If Yamaha is using drummers to program the drum styles then I'd suggest they hire some new people.

Thanks for posting Mike.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-19-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#105221 - 03/19/07 04:37 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Just found this post on the Harmony Central forum regarding drum sounds and setup, and thought you might find it interesting.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1572523

Bill

#105222 - 03/20/07 04:39 PM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Bluezplayer Offline

Ok.. here are some VST drums and patterns I recorded. A couple of acoustic sets and a few electronic..

I'm guessing that there aren't that many here who would care all that much about the modern drum sounds, but for those that might, check out the difference between these and the T2 ( or any arranger )
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4H9241LH

Regards,

AJ

#105223 - 03/21/07 12:20 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#105224 - 03/21/07 09:30 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing about electronic drum samples is..... that tastes change, constantly. What is the hip and happening drum sound this year (or month!) is passe by next year (or month).

For arranger manufacturers, this leaves them with a big problem. Firstly, their research shows that these products are mostly bought by people with VERY little interest in electronic music. Secondly, what little they DO want to play is much older, by now 'classic' dance hit styles. So what are these poor people to do? Load their new arranger up with banging beats and phresh sounds that only a fraction of their customers actually want, or make it into a 'greatest hits' collection of sounds that has little chance of sounding contemporary (or whatever is contemporary when they release the model. not two years later during it's product life!).

No... The REAL problem comes about because, not only do they saddle you with a sampler that is too slow to load for most practical purposes, but they completely hobble it by making it close to impossible (or definitely more work than anybody would want to do) to import drum kits from Akai format, the de facto standard for sample migration.

Most other samplers, up to and including the samplers in Korg arrangers (not to mention the über-expensive software/hybrids like MS and Wersi) can read the Akai format. Most workstations can read Akai. Most Software samplers read Akai..... Why not Yamaha?

A WORKING sampler solves ALL your problems. Banging beats for the dance crowd (and replaceable when they go out of fashion), better pipe organs for the church and theater organ crowd, darker pianos for the classical and jazz fans..... etc., etc..

But do you bitch at Yamaha constantly to fix this awful problem....? There's little chance it will be addressed if you don't complain, publicly. If Yamaha don't think that hardly anyone actually USES the sampler much, they don't have much incentive to improve it on the next Tyros. And, to be honest, if you are not complaining about the sampler, and it's closed, proprietary system and glacial save and load times, well, you probably AREN'T using it, are you?

Maybe Yamaha have a different policy, but the Roland community has gotten a LOT of OS changes, new features, re-designed old ones, and given a LOT of user input as to what we would like to see on the NEXT G-series. Maybe Yamaha users think that Yamaha don't care for this input, or that it is futile to try, given past unresponsiveness, but trust me, if you DON'T voice your complaints, you have ZERO chance of getting what you want.

So speak up about the T2 sampler. Wouldn't it be nice if was actually of any real use...?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online