SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#105181 - 05/30/03 11:40 AM dj music
TERRYC Offline

Loc: St, Petersburg. Florida. u.s.a
Hi guys. I got an interesting proposition from the owner of my most lucrative gig. The live music goes from 9-1am but the club doesn,t close till 3am. He wants to put in a dj a couple nights a week and also from 1 to 3am thu fri sat.He asked me if was willing to do it,and I said yes. The problem is I have to supply the equipment and the music. Here,s the question.Does anybody know where I can purchase compilation disks with many of the most reqested songs on them. I need just about everything from the 40,s to the present as it is a very varied age place. I know i can play songs from my computer,and there is software that I can buy for mixing etc.also I am not sure if mp3s are good enough quality or not I am not familiar with download sites so I am hoping that some of you guys out there might be able to help me.Thanks in advance. ps some lighting info would also be appreciated Terry

#105182 - 05/30/03 12:30 PM Re: dj music
KN_Fan Offline

Hi Terry,
For a start- Try www.timelife.com and see what's out there. Check out the www.billboard.com or www.mtv.com and see what's playing these days.

For small lighting set up (just a start) you can check out www.musiciansfriend.com (I think) or go to google and type "American DJ lighting" or "DJ lighting package" you should get tons of stuff. For about 1000 bucks you can get a pretty damn good small DJ lighting set up (even less).

Do you play any instrument at all? Try to combine the music with a DJ box from Roland/Yamaha or your own keyboard.

KN.

#105183 - 05/30/03 03:59 PM Re: dj music
TERRYC Offline

yES I play guitar and keyboard.I have a pa 80. I have worked all over the world with people like Roy Orbison,Barbara Mandrell Tony Orlando,Engelbert Humperdink. Had given up music on a fulltime basis,and bought my own Bar in Canada.I sold it five years ago and moved to Florida where I play full time again. However as a live player I never paid much attention to DJing or any of the technology that goes with it.So here I am on a new learning curve again.Thanks for the info,I,ll be checking those sites when I come home from the gig tonight, Terry.

#105184 - 05/30/03 08:36 PM Re: dj music
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Terry, Here in Detroit there are stores that specialize in DJ equipment and CDs. GC sells alot of DJ equip and lighting too. My band offers DJ services between sets and I use my laptop - it has a CD player and obviously plays mp3 and karaoke files too. I find the mp3's sound just fine through our PA system (Mackie 808s w300i spkrs.) How big is your CD collection? Start with that and maybe borrow some discs from friends to get started. Record them onto your HD and/or convert them into mp3 to save space. If you are bold enough, use a download program like Kazaa or Limewire (.com)

Cass

#105185 - 05/31/03 09:14 AM Re: dj music
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been making my own "break tapes" for years, and when CD's became the standard - I switched over to that format. Today, my laptop holds over 4,000 mp3 files that can cover ANY party situation, whether on my breaks, or as a DJ. I do kid's parties, sweet 16's, college graduations, weddings, 50th anniversaries .... you name it . I have the music for it.

Start by transferring million sellers to a folder for dances ... like:
Old Time R&R
Hot Hot Hot
Mambo #5
I will survive

..... you know - stuff that EVRYBODY dances to at parties.

Then get the specialty stuff:

Chicken dance
Macarena
Electric Slide (there's THREE now)
etc....

Put them in folders according to genre, and you're on your way.

I have folders set up for:

30'3 & 40's
50's & 60's
70's & 80's
90's to current
EZ listening
Acoustic
Jazz
Holiday
Classical(for ceremonies)
Dance(party stuff)
TV & Movies (show tunes, soundtracks)
USA (patriotic fare)
Weddings (specific novelties to weddings, like Bride cuts cake, gimicks-jike jepoardy theme, procesionals etc...)

Good luck to you !

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 05-31-2003).]

#105186 - 05/31/03 04:11 PM Re: dj music
TERRYC Offline

Thanks for the info guys.I find this forum to be an invaluable source of useful tips and appreciate the input. Terry.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online