SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#104758 - 07/12/03 01:53 AM Extra signal processing punch !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been getting restless lately with my general sound using the 2 EV SXa100's. They are ALMOST what I'm looking for, and given the size/weight/price .... they are my "go to" system of late.
I have been using a Peavey Kosmos to offer some high end sizzle, and a separate bass output for a sub, but I still wanted more. My mixer is the weakest link in the chain because of rack constraints, so instead of upgrading the mixer (and adding to the bulk)! I decoded to shop around for a better "fix" for the mix.
I tried a DBX "Drive Rack PA" at work tonight and I lOVE IT. It ain't cheap but you get:
1)stereo graphic EQ
2)RTA (room flattening auto EQO
3)feedback supressor(12 bands!)
4)compressor
5)time delay(I don't need this....)
6)variable crossover
...and more .... ALL IN ONE RACK SPACE!

This allows me to hook up my 2 EV's in full range .... set up the room eq, feedback killer etc, and set it all into a memory location for instant recal each time I play THAT room. I can have each room EQ'd differently and in memory !
So far, I love the routing of the sub output, and the eq is quiet as a mouse. This will make my Kosmos liquid ... so.....
Anyone want a (like new) Peavey Kosmos? I'm open for trade deals or cash deals. It works much better with 15" speakers than with 12's, so I really never got the best from it. Any offers?

I can also set up a memory location for the "bi-amp" jobs ..... you know, the ones that require real pumpin' bass. Set it in memory, label it and go baby !

This unit is goping to help me a lot because the TOA rack mixer I use has no master EQ. It's the weakest link in the chain, and the DBX really opens up the sound. I'm hooked ..... who wants the Kosmos?????

#104759 - 07/12/03 04:27 AM Re: Extra signal processing punch !
Dnj Offline

#104760 - 07/12/03 10:20 AM Re: Extra signal processing punch !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll trade somethibg for it. Will email you.
Don

#104761 - 07/12/03 12:15 PM Re: Extra signal processing punch !
Uncle Dave Offline

cool .... you'll love it. It works so much better in a 15" system than on my 12". Let's make a deal !!!

#104762 - 07/13/03 07:53 PM Re: Extra signal processing punch !
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Dave...

I'm familiar with what the Kosmos does... great piece of gear. How does the Drive Rack PA make up for the high end sizzle and base doubling of the Kosmos? Does the DBX have a sub out?

#104763 - 07/13/03 08:16 PM Re: Extra signal processing punch !
Uncle Dave Offline

Glenn,
Check the above link out. It has 2 in's and SIX outs for a 3 way stereo setup.
I use the stereo in's and outs, and a mono out to the bass amp.(psuedo-sub!)

It has a separate graphic that can flatten the room with an RTA, (Real Time Analyzer - it "reads" the room and creates a curve to add to or detract from the frequancies that color the sound)and then a parametric to further sweeten the curve. There is no "enhancer" as such, but there is a dedicated crossover, EQ, feedback eliminator, compressor .... the list goes on and on, and the darn thing sounds awesome.
It's over $400, but I only have ONE rack space to deal with and this gives me the most in the smallest.

The auto EQ is almost worth the price alone, then you add the extras, and it's a "must have" piece. It really made these EV's sound like pro audio gear. They were always pretty good for their size, but they needed some help, and my mixer wasn't giving me the flexibility. It's an older unit and only has 2 band EQ on each channel and NO master EQ, so I needed something extra. If you have a better mixer, this may not be such an issue for you, but I rely on my 3 space rack to handle so many different situations that I needed to fix the mix externally.

I am very,very happy ! If I ever get a larger sub, this system will kick SERIOUS butt in any size hall. It gave my rig new life......wish it could give me a new keyboard!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online