SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#104658 - 03/30/03 02:07 AM Monolith vs double X stand
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I'm considering upgrading from my single X stand. I would prefer a solid double X stand, lightweight with a "memory lock", in other words once the height is set you just unfold the stand and its set.

I understand the Monolith is rock steady. Is there a double X stand as steady or very close to it?

I would prefer one that I can add a mic boom to and possibly a music rack.

Thanx

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 03-30-2003).]

#104659 - 03/30/03 07:52 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hi Scott,
As you can see by my equipment post that I use a Quik-Loc stand, which is rock solid and quite rugged. It holds two keyboards and set up time is a few seconds. A spring loaded pin positions the stand and unless the welds break, I don't think it will collapse.

I also have an Ultimate Stand, one that also holds two boards and made from heavy-gauge aluminum tubing. Set-up time however, is about five minutes because every part must be assembled.

As for an attached mic, I don't recommend them at all. I've used them on both stands, and other than for announcements, they present problems. First, the mic must be switched off during performances because the sound of your fingers on the keyboard's keys are transmitted through the keyboard stand and produce the same sound that you would hear if the mic were on a normal stand and your fingers thumped against the stand--not good.

If you are a singer, as most of us are, and also a reader, the mic is never in the right position to see the music/lyrics and still maintain the correct position in front of the mic to provide good vocals. For that reason, I switched to a headset mic and eliminated all of those problems. You may want to think seriously about the headset mic instead of attaching one to the keyboard stand.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#104660 - 03/30/03 08:40 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Now for the point-counterpoint:
Stand mounted mics MAY transmit a small ammount of residual noise IF the kb stand is not solid, and IF you bang real hard on the keys, and IF your mic is set too loud.

Many, many players (including DNJ, Fran and myself, on this forum) have used this method for YEARS with no adverse effect. The trick is in the construction - you need a good solid, bounce free envirnment, and you need to have the proper settings on the mic levels. Singing over a kb with internal speakers requires that the mic technique be a "close" one. Kissing the mic, if you prefer. That allows the most signal to enter the mic with the LEST amount of outside noise allow with it. Headset mics reduce feedback problems, but there is not even ONE model that comes close to the quality and sound that a hand held mic can provide. If you are willing to sacrifice vocal quality and mic technique ..... a headset will provide you with less feedback and a small amount of ease of set up .... if you like being tied to the amp, and feeling like a hospital patient with a monitor in your temple. ( )
Needless to say .... the headset is NOT for me.

#104661 - 03/30/03 08:48 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

I guess it's no secret on this forum that I am a BIG proponent of the Ultimate Apex keyboard stands: http://www.ultimatesupport.com/apex.html

For me it provides the following key attributes:

Rock Solid
Memory positions for keyboards.
Ultra fast setup/break down.
Will hold 2 200 lb keyboards or ONE really big musician.

I love the single post concept as it does not take up much room when I setup in very tight stages. I also like the legs on the bottom for positioning my pedals so they don't "Creep" on me.

Well there you have it, I've used this stand for 60 gigs in the last year and I'm convinced I would not use anything else.

Al G

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 03-30-2003).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#104662 - 03/31/03 07:45 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I've played on other people's Apex stand rigs and found that the stand/keys moved from side to side, which is logical since the center of gravity is in the middle.

I still don't trust X-stands in any fashion. All of the weight of your keyboard rig plus your playing impact is forced upon a small aluminum pin, questionable welds, and/or other locking mechanism... and they can fail spectacularly I can tell you from experience.

The Monolith is as infallible and stable a design as I've seen and it costs about what other stands do. I really go for products that are innovative like the Monolith because if they are successful then they force other manufacturers to be more innovative also. They aren't there to pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

Also worth considering is the Z-stand made by QuikLok. I have one that I am turning into a portable studio console for a production company. They are a little heavy and take time to assemble/disassemble per gig but they are very stable.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 03-31-2003).]

#104663 - 03/31/03 08:22 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Dnj Offline

I agree with Uncle Dave....
Believe me when your doing over 1000 gigs a year between the 3 of us UD's set up which includes an "X" stand with accessories for Laptop & Mic is pure genius for us, totaly flexible, portable and lightweight to suit any and all situations as a one man KB performance artist.
IMO there is NO better design at this time, and we've tried many.
As far as a Headphone Mic.....sorry but IMO
"Two Thumbs Down" for so many reasons reserved for another thread sometime.

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-31-2003).]

#104664 - 03/31/03 10:14 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I concur with Pro. My VOTE also goes to the Quiklok Monolith Stand, though it doesn't support a mic boom or music rack add on. The Monolith is the only portable (collapsible folding) stand that I would say is truly 'rock steady' preventing your Keyoboard from bouncing, like the X stands and Apex stands tend to do. Another reason I don't like the Apex stand is because the center column juts up high ABOVE the keyboard and can block your face (from the audience).

For super quickie gigs, I'll probably take the Quiklok X Stand, but for 'anything' more, the Monolith stand offers rock solid KB stability, and it looks so MUCH more slick & professional as well, and offers a LOT more leg room for pedals, and saves your knees as well, because there are no obstructing cross X beams to contend with. The great thing about the Monolith is that it folds completely FLAT. - Scott

#104665 - 03/31/03 10:26 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi ScottY

According to the Pro the mic boom for the Quiklok Z stand fits the Monolith. He also has a pic of his set-up using this in the following thread.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/006153.html

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 03-31-2003).]

#104666 - 03/31/03 10:34 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My IQ2000 (USS double X) doesn't bounce at all.

#104667 - 03/31/03 10:47 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
[B]According to the Pro the mic boom for the Quiklok Z stand fits the Monolith. B]

Great News! , especially because, in an earlier conversation with a Quiklok rep, I was informed that there was no Quiklok mic boom attachment available which could be attached to the Monolith Stand.

Ok, I've got to order one now. Pro (or somebody else here): Please provide the specific Quiklok 'mic boom' attachment part number. Also, WHERE and HOW does the mic boom attach to the Monolith Stand?

Scott

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online