SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#104668 - 03/31/03 10:52 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Monolith can be used with BOTH the mic boom and music rack from the Z series (references Z-728, Z-732 ). I own all of them and it's a super stable setup. I prefer this stand to a double X stand, like the Quiklok QL-641, which I also own. More stable, and more advanced concept. Only weaknesses: the weight (the price to pay...) and the system which was chosen for changing the position in height - not very practical, but solid. I use the Monolith for most of my long gigs (private parties, weddings), which represent most of my jobs.

I agree that for a quick gig an X stand may be preferable (a simple X stand will take less space in the trunk of the car). I use a T-10 with second tier (for the Ketron module) and have the accessories (mic boom and music rack) but I don't recommend to use them together, even with light keyboards, 'cause the stability is very poor: to the point of beeing dangerous for your equipment.

No experience with Apex stands whatsoever.

-- José.

#104669 - 03/31/03 10:54 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Scott: the mic boom is the QuikLok Z-728. There are plastic caps inserted in the end of the arms of your Monolith that support the keyboard - you pop one out and the mic boom slides right in, then you tighten it with a screw knob. I suspected that QuikLok didn't know this or they'd have modified their web catalog to show that the Z-728 boom works with the Monolith. I found out by chance.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 03-31-2003).]

#104670 - 03/31/03 11:26 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I may have to consider the Monolith, unless the QLX-21 has no bounce. Does anyone have any experience with this one. It also has the feature of opening to the same setting just by opening it. The attachments fit this one also.
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog.music

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 03-31-2003).]

#104671 - 03/31/03 11:31 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
José and Pro: Thanks to both of you for your prompt response. I assume that during transport, you remove both the mic boom and music stand attachments, right? How easily (quickly) can they be attached to the Monolith stand? Any special tools required?

José: Realizing that the Z-732 music stand must be attached to either the 'far right' or 'far left' side of the Monolith stand, is it possible to position (swivel left & right) the music stand inwards 45 degrees towards the center of the KB, to insure a better view of the music from your position (seated or standing) at the center of the KB?

Looks like I may be ordering BOTH the Z-728 mic boom: http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=82

and Z-732 music stand: http://www.quiklok.com/search_list.taf?_function=detail&Layout_0_uid1=86

Scott

#104672 - 03/31/03 11:44 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
The Pro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
José and Pro: Thanks to both of you for your prompt response. I assume that during transport, you remove both the mic boom and music stand attachments, right? How easily (quickly) can they be attached to the Monolith stand? Any special tools required?

Scott

I remove my mic stand everytime I move the stand. It takes seconds... loosen the knob and go. I don't remember if the mic stand came with a knob or I just used one that I had, but the knob-screws that work with the Z-stand are what I use to hold the mic stand in place once it's inserted into the Monolith arm. In lieu of the knobs, you could use a large hardware store thumbscrew. The only tool you'll need is a regular screwdriver to take out the plastic end cap plug from the Monolith the first time you use it for holding one of your stands.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 03-31-2003).]

#104673 - 03/31/03 07:05 PM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Anonymous
Unregistered

ScottYee,

Yes, I transport the mic boom and the music rack both detached from the Monolith stand. The knobs are included with these options and they're extremely easy to attach to the stand once you remove the plastic plug from the Monolith arms, the first time - just like the Pro describes.

Two things must be said:
1) You might find the music rack a little too big/heavy/cumbersome and the transport not very practical. But it's very solid.
2) The mic boom can ONLY be attached to the left arm (as in The Pro's picture) and the music rack only to the right arm. You'll understand why; tomorrow I'll post a picture with details.

NO, the music rack can not tilted inwards, it's a rigid piece in which the section that inserts the Monolith arm has a rectangular shape. More details in some pics tomorrow.

Scott Langholff,

QLX series are the Quiklok model to go if you want a double X tier with optional mic boom and music rack. They are OK, but I prefer the Monolith for an edge in stability (and for other reasons I explained above). If your keyboard is heavy it can make a difference.

-- José.

#104674 - 04/03/03 06:07 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are the pics that I promised. Sorry that they toke so long to show up.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 04-03-2003).]

#104675 - 04/03/03 07:17 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Catsailor Offline

Thanks for the pictures. I've been looking for a more sturdy keyboard stand than my X-stand. I like your setup, so I think I'll go with a similar one. Thanks again for helping make up my mind.

Peter

#104676 - 04/03/03 09:28 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
How do you use Two keyboards with this setup?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#104677 - 04/03/03 02:01 PM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
The Pro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
How do you use Two keyboards with this setup?

Al

I don't think that you can. Remember that the mic and music stand are items which normally fit the QuikLok Z-stand - we just figured out that they will also work when inserted into the Monolith's 2nd tier slots. If you used the normal Monolith add-on 2nd keyboard arms, the slots would be filled and you couldn't use the mic boom and music stand like this.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online