SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104372 - 06/17/02 06:38 AM Also, in response to a couple posts down....
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada
Someone a few posts down was saying something about "gm midi" sounds being different then the Solton? That it uses 3 channels up for each sound?

Does this mean for example that all the demos I've heard showing the SD1 sound, are not going to be the same when I play a midi file through it? In other words, can I play a grand total of about 4 instruments from the "premier" Solton sound, and then have no more channels for midi?

I'm a little confused here, and I would like to understand this before I buy.

#104373 - 06/17/02 09:35 AM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't have an SD1 yet, but I think you are worried for no reason. The SD1 will play all the correct voices on midi files, but unlike some keyboards (Yamaha) it uses its best sounds to do it. I did have an X1 and midi files sounded great on it. The SD1 can only be better.
DonM

#104374 - 06/17/02 10:03 AM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Just a quick correction . . .

I've noticed that people repeatedly use the word, "then," when they really mean, "than".

THEN is a temporal word concerning a moment in time.

THAN is a comparative word and is used when comparing one thing to another.

EXAMPLES
I heard a knock, THEN the door opened. (temporal concerning time)

My dog is bigger THAN your dog. (Used after a comparative adjective or adverb to introduce the second element or clause of an unequal comparison. Can also be used to introduce the second element after certain words indicating difference such as, "He draws quite differently than she does".

OK, you're right, I'm a bit nuts but I'm a professional writer, so what I rather be right THAN wrong because THEN I'd be in real trouble.

Steve

#104375 - 06/17/02 11:09 AM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
justforfun000 Offline

LOL. Actually, I'm very glad you explained that. I have been wondering for quite a while which was proper.

I'm actually quite adept at the English language as a rule, but that particular differentation escaped me.

And to the previous post, thanks for the info. Someone below confused the hell out of me.

#104376 - 06/17/02 12:53 PM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
justforfun000 Offline

So just to be sure I understand, All Solton sounds use 1 midi channel at a time?

------------------
http://members.rogers.com/unison

#104377 - 06/17/02 01:05 PM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
There. They're all using their correct usage now !

#104378 - 06/18/02 05:14 AM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
justforfun000 what you say is right.
Solton solo sounds are using 1 2 3 or 4 GM sound in 1 2 3 or 4 midi chanels simultanously. All demo you heard are probably the SD-1 played live with the aranger section, and this section are played with midi instrument (1 chanel).Just solo sounds uses multi chanels.
You can do a midifile with the same sound you heard in the DEMO.
and when I play a midifile from internet in my SD-1, it play great! more all than i heard.

SD-1 "premier" sound are very loud. for example piano sound or strings sound are very punchy. you can use only 1 of them in a midifile sequenced in the SD1 (you can change it of course).

but it's not realy a problem because the SD-1 is the best keyboard...

I think in midi 1 chanel can oly play one sound at time.

(i m french and i don't learn english. I can write little english because I read you. so than that this there those.... shit ))

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#104379 - 06/18/02 06:23 AM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
justforfun000 Offline

Okay, I THINK I understand now.

Thank you for explaining. So if I choose I could have a song with no more then 12 separate tracks playing with me using a piano premier sound live.

I've heard some people say they aren't as fond of the piano. I'm surprised. You'd think that have THAT one down pat.

What's the best piano sound? Also, has anyone ever heard the diff between the solton and the korg I2? (Or I3)?

Would like to know if I will still be happier with the solton piano.

#104380 - 06/18/02 10:33 AM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by justforfun000:
What's the best piano sound?

You will never ... EVER get the answer to that question. There is just NO way to award anything that prestigeous title.
My preferences?
Yamaha 9kpro, , Roland VA7/76, Ketron SD1
I hate the kn series, and the Korg stuff is weak too.

Others will surely chime in, but piano tone is WAAAAAAY too subjective. Just like the acoustic world. Some like Steinway's ... some like Baldwins .... whatever floats your boat. I've played more Yamaha acouctics that I prefer to the Steinways I've played, but I've also played some killer Steinways and Shimmels that make you weep. It's a very personal, isolated issue and tastes change.

#104381 - 06/18/02 10:55 AM Re: Also, in response to a couple posts down....
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Wherever pronouns are misused, wherever punctuation is scorned and adjectives are held in contempt - there stands one who flies the face of danger, Stevizard, the wonderful wizard of words (just not big ones).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online