SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#104291 - 01/18/03 09:39 PM NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
Dnj Offline

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/foru...threadid=217103

more namm pics....

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/foru...threadid=217088

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-18-2003).]

#104292 - 01/18/03 09:48 PM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
trtjazz Offline

Donny,
Buy one of those toys will ya and let me know how it works, then sell it to me for $50.
Terry

------------------

http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#104293 - 01/18/03 10:07 PM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
Dnj Offline

Its just another toy, there will be more and more and more to follow. When will it end?

#104294 - 01/19/03 09:08 AM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I think this is the first keyboard to address the problem of bi-annual hardware angst. Look at the 9000 Pro - on the market only two years and now it looks like Yamaha is dropping it. What if you could upgrade your keyboard's processor, motherboard, control surfaces, OS and sounds yourself without waiting for companies like Yamaha to catch up as your needs and the technology changes? For that matter, with an open-architecture synth you are actually able to buy current technology, not the dated stuff that comes in all new keyboards because of the time-lag keyboard manufacturers incur trying to design and build synths around hardware. Instead of waiting for the fabled "Tyros Pro" that may or may not ever happen, you could order a 76-note eko with controls mounted that suits your needs and then just install a Tyros-like softsynth. You could also choose from a host of piano/drum/instrument samples, not just what companies like Yamaha think you should have.

Whether the eKo becomes the keyboard of the future or not remains to be seen - but I think it's pointing in the right direction.

#104295 - 01/19/03 10:43 AM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
Dnj Offline

This is super interesting stuff leading us out of the conventional way we look at buying and playing a KB. Get ready people its only 80 yrs or so that we have Planes and Cars...Hmmmmmmm?

#104296 - 01/19/03 12:11 PM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
This is just what I need for the motorhome and my travels. My tires are overloaded now with gear and they are 12 ply tires. I need to lighten the load.

#104297 - 01/19/03 02:57 PM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
The OpenLabs Eko caught my interest right away. It's not an Arranger but the musical possibilities are enormous. Here is some more info regarding the Eko: PS: the link at the bottom has an even more detailed specification listing. Hopefully the chart near the bottom displays correctly in the post.
Regards,
Mike

A Revolution in Music

Welcome to Open Labs™, the home of the OpenSynth™ platform.

OpenSynth is a revolutionary concept that combines the power and flexibility of a personal computer with the playability and feel of a traditional electronic keyboard to form an entirely new class of musical instruments.

Let's compare OpenSynth with the traditional electronic keyboards you are probably familiar with:

Traditional keyboard workstation products are proprietary, closed systems offering a limited range of sound generation models (usually just various forms of sample playback), a limited number of sound programs, limited sequencing capabilities, etc. Enhancements to those instruments are typically available only from the original manufacturer, and at a high cost.

Now, imagine a single keyboard instrument that is the exact opposite of the description above.

Does it have:

Multiple synthesis and sampling engines, even simultaneously? Yes.
Access to a huge variety of virtual instruments and effects plug-ins from hundreds of third party developers (and at very reasonable prices)? Yes.
Sequencer memory and storage limited only by your current RAM and hard disk configuration? Yes.
Easy and affordable upgrades for CPU, memory, storage, and other components? Yes.
And there's much more, including onboard power management, built-in Ethernet, interchangeable realtime control panels, and other features you'll never see in those old style keyboards!

eKo™ is the first instrument based on the OpenSynth platform. Proceed to the Products page to see all the details. See why we say: The Future Is Open.

The Future is Open

eKo™ is the ultimate performance and studio instrument because it is simply the most advanced, flexible and cost effective product available today. Because it is based on our OpenSynth™ platform, eKo frees you from all of the frustrating limitations imposed by closed, proprietary systems, while still maintaining the virtues of an all-in-one keyboard instrument.

Open Sounds: eKo can emulate almost any instrument ever invented by hosting industry standard VSTi software synthesizers, samplers and audio processing plug ins.

Open System: eKo utilizes industry standard micro-ATX motherboards and processors that allow you to run standard operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows or Linux and use standard PC-compatible hardware.

All in One: eKo's all in one design eliminates the clutter and confusion of traditional desktop computer systems so you can focus on what really matters... The music.

User Friendly: eKo enables you to change settings and access programs through an easy to use interface that shields you from the complexities of the operating system.

Power to Rock: eKo can accommodate the fastest processors available, and more RAM and storage than any other music workstation.

Low Latency: eKo gives you near-zero latency even under high processor loads.

Instant On: Unlike traditional computers that may take minutes to start up, eKo utilizes a unique process that allows the keyboard to start up in seconds.

Interchangeable Control Modules: eKo's interchangeable control modules provide a physical interface for easier control of software instruments and are designed to support virtually any future control options.

Non Stop™ Music: eKo is the only musical instrument with integrated power management that combats power spikes and operates during power interruptions.

Modern Art: With a sleek, modern design incorporating an aluminum chassis and rubber endbells, eKo is as beautiful as it is powerful.

Surfboard: eKo's included Ethernet port allows you to directly access the Internet, to quickly and easily download upgrades, sounds and applications.

Complete Portable Studio: eKo is a self-contained recording, editing and mastering system that's perfect for the studio or stage.

Have it Your Way: With Open Labs' Build-Your-Own-Keyboard (BYOK) ordering system, you can have the exact eKo that you want, when you want it, with the ability to upgrade at any time.

Three standard, pre-built configurations of eKo will be offered (either through our authorized dealer network or directly from Open Labs).

Feature Eko Triton Motif
128 Voice Polyphony x
Sampling x x x
Audio Recording x
Internal UPS x
CD Burner x x
Starting under $2000 X

Check out the link below for an even more comprehensive comparison chart.
http://www.opnlabs.com/ekochart.php

#104298 - 01/20/03 06:33 AM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
The Pro Offline

I've been thinking about the eKo a lot, and it is the potential that really has my gears going. While it is not an arranger as we know it, it could be with the right software. Something like Jammer Live and/or a program which imports/playback Yamaha/Roland/Korg styles would do it (although I'd like to see arranger software that is on par with the Tyros come out).

Since the control surface "modules" are interchangeable, arranger-type interface features should be easy to setup. It's even possible that a future option might allow for drop-in internal speakers (if OpenLabs doesn't offer such options then there's a market for third-party add-on makers to create specific arranger control modules and speakers modules).

We haven't seen the back panel of the eKo yet, but I assume it's like a PC. If so then that means there is lots of potential for setting up audio and midi interfaces plus any kind of digital I/O you would like. By adding an audio card such as the Yamaha SX1000XG you would have an XG hardware synth in addition to whatever software synths you wanted. Also video cards would give you the potential for multiple external monitors.

With the diversity of the PC accessory market, there is no end to the things that you could beef up this instrument with. Too much fun...

#104299 - 01/20/03 08:07 AM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
I'd be very interested if eKo could do a few things for me:
1. play mp3 files and record the tracks
2. play midi files
3. create styles based on mp3 and midid files

Yep, that'd be nice. I also like it being non-proprietary. What most keyboard makers fail to realize is that they don't have to lock us in with proprietary products. They simply need to give us value for our dollars, and they'll have more customers than they can handle.

Steve

#104300 - 01/20/03 09:12 AM Re: NAMM Pics - OpenLabs Eko - VERY COOL!!
The Pro Offline

Steve: just for everyone's clarification, the OpenLabs eKo is a PC/Windows computer in a keyboard box. That's it. It probably doesn't do anymore than any other Windows computer out of the box until you add your own software. OpenLabs is offering hardware accessories to customize the keyboard in many ways, and it seems that you can choose from any of the options that you can use on any standard PC, but in the end you will have to supply your own applications like softsynths, VSTi's, sequencer and audio recording programs, MP3 programs, etc.

But that's the beauty of it also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online