SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#104175 - 02/16/04 12:46 PM Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I don't like to eat much immediately before playing.

This brings up a very interesting topic. Don, though all my local singer-performer musician friends more agree with you, for whatever reason, I can only perform 'at my very best' if followed (approx an hour before) by a satisfying (but not overly stuffed) hi protein (including meat) meal. For some reason this gives me the added energy I seem to need to go that extra mile. On the other hand I have friends who say they're able to perform all evening having only had a popiscle before hand. I'm now really interested to hear about the gig performance 'eating habits' of others here. - Scott

#104176 - 02/16/04 01:01 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like to eat something a couple of hours before, but not a huge meal. When I REALLY like to eat is afterwards, but that's generally after midnight.
DonM

#104177 - 02/16/04 01:12 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I never eat before a job, and miss the after hours places I used to haunt for breakfast. For years, I played 1:00 to 4:00 P.M. for breakfast at a place where all nightclub people and customers came to hang out. Then, I made my day job at 7:30 A.M. Sadly, there aren't any more of these in Lexington.

What a shame...

Russ

#104178 - 02/16/04 01:27 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I too never eat before playing--just doesn't feel right for some reason. At the most, I might pick up a pack of mints on the way to the job, but that's about it.

This is an interesting topic and leads to one that I would also like to relate to other Synthzone members. I've weighed myself before leaving for a job and immediately after arriving home. Most of the time, after four hours of playing and singing, I'll loose on an average of 4 to 6 pounds. Obviously, this is fluid loss, but when I talked with my doctor about this he said singing for four hours would be similar to doing a four-hour workout and breathing heavily the entire time.

When you think about it, he's probably right. You lug a huge amount of equipment from your house to your car, then unload it to the job and set it up--not lightweight work by any means. Then, while singing, you must breath much deeper than normal and exhale much longer than normal, which essentially removes much of your body's moisture through evaporation from the lungs. At the end of four hours, you load the equipment back on the cart, take it to the car, then drive home and unload it again. I know guys who work on loading platforms that don't work this hard. In fact, they would life this stuff without a fork lift.

A little food for thought,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#104179 - 02/16/04 01:56 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
rintincop Offline

I play best late at night when I have eaten and I am a little sleepy. That is optimum for me because I improvise best when I am very relaxed. I get edgy when I am hungry and don't play as well.

[This message has been edited by rintincop (edited 02-22-2004).]

#104180 - 02/16/04 02:01 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
No dinner at all for me anymore. It all goes to waist...

#104181 - 02/16/04 03:08 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
larigot Offline

Loc: Portsmouth - UK
Another aspect of this subject is do you get fed at your venues, I have been playing in hotels around the south coast of the UK for over ten years and have only been offered food twice...yes twice in hotels..in TEN YEARS..and drinks are not far behind that either! The hotel management here in the UK assume that musicians just do not eat and can be in their hotels for anything up to 8 hours without the need for refreshments. Usually I sneek out and grab a sandwich at the nearest store during my break.
I spoke to my agent tonight and he has informed me that it is soon to become a legal requirment for hotels to supply addequate rest facilities and refresments
to perfoming artists...whoopie

larigot

#104182 - 02/16/04 03:22 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
Dnj Offline

Before.....During.....& Afterwards too ....
I play alot of "Expensive" places and I ain't giving up those cocktail hour finger goodies.....and sit down 7 course Dinner Invites with the guests ...
Like I always say "the more I eat, the better I sound" I could eat delicious Surf & Turf & then go right into a Polka like nobodys business...

#104183 - 02/16/04 03:28 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Like I always say "the more I eat, the better I sound". I could eat delicious Surf & Turf & then go right into a Polka like nobodys business...

Ahhhh, at Last !

F-i- n - a - l - l - y !, someone else here that 'shares' my sentiments. - Scott

#104184 - 02/16/04 03:38 PM Re: Do you Prefer performing on a 'Full/Empty' Stomach'?
Dnj Offline

Oh Yeah Scotty...

Bring on the Baked Clams & Scallops Wrapped in Bacon YummmmY!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-16-2004).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online