SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#104074 - 12/29/04 01:00 PM Wanted: a review of Roland G70
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Folks,

It has been almost a month since the G70 has been out in Europe, and many of our european members now own them.

Yet, other there has been no comprehensive review of the G70 posted here: some posts of gripes, and some short statements of adoration here and there, but not a review.

What I am looking for is a description of the instrument, perhaps comparison with some of the other ones the author may have experience with. In particular, I would like to know if the owners who basically like the G70 find any issues with it. Conversely, if people who tried and did not like it can share some positive tidbits with us, that would be helpful.

One area that has not been mentioned so far is Vocal harmonizer. How does it compare with the standalone units like Voiceworks, or Digitech Vocalist? How about other built-in units from Yamaha, Korg, others?

No instrument is totally good or totally bad, and I think a good review will reflect that.

My intent is not to create extra work for anyone here; however, this will give the rest of us the benefit of the experience of forum members who already own the G70. For me, in particular, this will give a chance to focus on the areas of concern (to others) to see if they are going to pose a problem to me, once I get my hands on the instrument.

Thank you in advance,
Alex

#104075 - 12/29/04 04:35 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
Roel Offline

Hi Alex,
I too wonder why this silence.
After me being the first owner that played the G70 and did not like it, I expected more or less positive reviews to come of those who DO like the Roland latest creation.

Questions as :
Why is this the easiest keyboard to operate?
Why does it sound better, compared to other kb's?
Why should I retry the G70 again?
What has improved since the VA's?
Did Roland put the VK's in it or not?
Who do like the G70....did they make a switch from another brand... if yes why ?

Please inform us.

#104076 - 12/29/04 04:38 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
nielshs Offline

Hi

I have made a litle sampel so you can hear the vocal harmonist. sorry about my singing! http://nielshs.homepage.dk

regards
Niels

#104077 - 12/29/04 05:24 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
zuki Offline

Niels,
Very cool. I've always loved Roland's variphrase voices features...
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#104078 - 12/30/04 04:55 AM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
Roel Offline

Niels,
There is nothing wrong with your singing and the harmonist.... well done !

#104079 - 12/30/04 02:09 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
Alex K Offline

Niels,

The first sample (is it G70?) sounds really nice, the sounds are very good, the style is very fitting, and the harmonizer makes it sound like a quartet (though a bit much of echo to my ears).

The second sample (VA7?) also sounds nice, but the sound is indeed a little thinner.

Thanks a lot for posting these.

Regards,
Alex

#104080 - 12/30/04 03:07 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Alex,
It might be that the members owning the G70 are enjoying the G70 so much that they don't have time to write .

Anyway I had to pick up a kevlar case which I ordered for my VR-760 at the importer (for the dutchies "Muziekcentrum Oostendorp, Wezep) and my eyes saw a G70 standing in the shop, so allthough I was in a hurry ofcourse
I could not resist a short try out. (15 min)
So it's just a First impression;
Great touch screen, incredible easy to find your way, chrystal clear viewable as well.
Drawbars worked fine allthough felt less responsive as on the VR-760, but that might be because they are ergonomicly on another place. (needs an in depth try out)
Sounds I did demo were excellent and a major
upgrade in comparison with the G series.
(hammond's, piano's, saxophones)
I only used a couple of styles and sounds due to the time shortage I had.
The styles I did demo sounded a lot like the VA series but a bit more dynamic. (less thinner indeed)
(My personal opinion is that Yamaha and Roland allways add a bit too much echo/delay on factory sounds and styles, so I usually edit that a bit to my own taste and you know how good or bad the sound "really" is!)
The buttons for start/fill ins etc.. are on the wright place.
I could find everything I looked for in a few seconds, which is very promising.
The keyboard feel was as expected TOP!

So my first impression was very good and absolutely positive.
Bear in mind I like Roland Sounds, and also have a very long time positive experience with Roland gear , which never failed (knock wood)which makes me a Roland Fan.

Also the looks of the G70 are very professional, in other words looks great in case this might be of some importance.

I won't have much time the coming month's but if I have a chance I try to demo in depth, with the risk I buy the board

Fred

#104081 - 12/30/04 03:13 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
Alex K Offline

Fred,

It's great to hear from you, and thank you for the review. I think I am in the same category as you are - I like Roland sounds (and styles), so the fact that you liked it is very encouraging to me (not to disregard anyone else's point of view).

Best regards,
Alex

#104082 - 12/30/04 03:27 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
nielshs Offline

Alex

The first sample is a G-70 style and the second is styles I have imported from my va-7.
When I have got a deeper knowles of the keyboard I will write a review and put more samples on my homepage.

Niels

#104083 - 12/30/04 06:20 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
nielshs Offline

Hi

Here is a new demo I made of the G-70 Internal styles. http://nielshs.homepage.dk

Niels

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online