SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103437 - 04/28/05 07:40 PM Which Cables To Use?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I'm connecting a new sound system, adding a Mackie mixer between mic, keyboard, and Barbetta speaker. I've read "Never use guitar cables to connect amplifiers to speakers" What would happen if I did? Aren't they all the same - 1/4" male on each end? And if there's nothing printed on the cord, how can you tell one kind from the other? Does it really matter? Thanks...

#103438 - 04/28/05 07:46 PM Re: Which Cables To Use?
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi glenn, it's the impedance of the instrument/mic cable, it won't blow anything up if you use them but you don't get your full juice from the amp..i have used them in emergencies only..if you do get speaker cable get the heaviest you can..what i have found is that 1.2 and above SWG electrical cable works really well with my P.A, which is around 3000 watts RMS, plus its cheap and pretty indestructible. the 6.3mm (1/4") jacks still wire up the same, tip hot sleeve cold..but be aware that if you use XLR connectors the 2 pin is not used..3 is hot(+) and 1 is cold (-)....hope that helps

dennis
peace, out

#103439 - 04/28/05 09:26 PM Re: Which Cables To Use?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Use TRS or XLR - they have 3 sections +, - and ground, as opposed to a guitar cable which only has 2.

What happens with TRS and XLR is that the sound signal is sent twice - on the + and -. Only the sounds which are identical on both the + and - get used - any additional noise coming on either channel gets dropped. Therefore, any interference which happened on the way, gets removed.

Also remember that a long copper wire makes a great antenna. Antennas pick up lots of noise and frequencies. In essence, a sound cable is essentially that. Therefore if you want clean and honest sound - you gotta use balanced (ie TRS or XLR) cables.

Chony

#103440 - 04/28/05 09:30 PM Re: Which Cables To Use?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Sorry, just read your original posting again.

What I said applies to connecting everything BUT the amp to speakers.

For some reason, amps to spkrs are not balanced. I'm not sure why, because it could only increase the quality. What they do instead to make it up, is that have really thick cables with strong protection. This allows the sound to be carried longer distances as well as protecting from outside noises.

Chony

#103441 - 04/28/05 09:53 PM Re: Which Cables To Use?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Barbettas are not like passive speakers. They have balanced inputs, or you can also use unbalanced cables, but they should definitely NOT be speaker cables. Guitar or mic cables are fine. I think they sound a little better with balanced cables, and Tony Barbetta agrees.
Sometimes I go directly from my keyboard outputs to the Barbettas. For this I use unbalanced guitar cables. Sometimes I go from the kb to the mixer and then to the Barbettas. For this I use balanced XLR to balanced TRS cables.
You CAN use the XLR "mic" input on the Barbettas, but be careful because it is hot and would make it possible to overdrive the amps in the Barbettas.
DonM

#103442 - 04/29/05 01:56 AM Re: Which Cables To Use?
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
are the barbettas powered speakers? if so then in that case they are only looking for a line input signal and in this case the instr.cable is fine. if as donM says they have the balanced or XLR connectors it IS definately worth the extra cost (or effort if making yourself) to run the balanced cables, but i would double check that they are not XLR connectors being used in place of 1/4' or speakons..many high quality passive speaker manufacturers use the XLR connector (but moreso the Speakon these days)because of its strength (physical) and the solid positive connection, but they are still only wired up as hot and cold (thru pins 1 and 3, with pin 2 not used) in normal balanced cables 2 is hot 3 is shield and 1 is cold.

peace, out

#103443 - 04/29/05 06:36 AM Re: Which Cables To Use?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Glenn,

DO NOT use speaker cables--they're heavy duty, but not shielded, therefore subject to interference from outside sources. Heavy-duty, shielded, instrument cables (20 gauge wire or heavier), will provide you with all the power requirements necessary, plus provide you with interfence protection.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#103444 - 04/29/05 07:09 AM Re: Which Cables To Use?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Thanks again, guys. Boy, things were so much easier in the good ol' Shure VocalMaster days.

#103445 - 04/29/05 07:40 AM Re: Which Cables To Use?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA

#103446 - 04/29/05 08:02 AM Re: Which Cables To Use?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by manic2257:
are the barbettas powered speakers? if so then in that case they are only looking for a line input signal and in this case the instr.cable is fine. if as donM says they have the balanced or XLR connectors it IS definately worth the extra cost (or effort if making yourself) to run the balanced cables, but i would double check that they are not XLR connectors being used in place of 1/4' or speakons..many high quality passive speaker manufacturers use the XLR connector (but moreso the Speakon these days)because of its strength (physical) and the solid positive connection, but they are still only wired up as hot and cold (thru pins 1 and 3, with pin 2 not used) in normal balanced cables 2 is hot 3 is shield and 1 is cold.

peace, out

It's a little confusing. The Barbettas ARE powered. They have 1/4-inch balanced inputs in addition to an XLR. The XLR is intended for direct insertion of a microphone, and it is labeled as such, so it is a hotter input.
I'm speaking of the Sona 32C or 31C.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online