SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#103336 - 05/24/06 03:13 PM Sun Glare
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello folks,
I just returned from a gig on an outdoor, uncovered stage. It was a beautiful, cloudless day and I couldn't see the touch screen. It wasn't very pleasant And I'm sure it wasn't very professional looking as I shaded my eyes, even put a towel over my head to make changes. I'll be working a couple more gigs in similar venues this summer as I'm sure some of you will. Has anyone else had this problem and how do some of you handle it?
Thanks.
Ciao,
Jerry

#103337 - 05/24/06 03:44 PM Re: Sun Glare
Dnj Offline

Just make a simple 3 sided cardboard hood to block the sun....personally I ould play in direct sunlight great way to damage your KB......another thing is go to Cosco or Sams and buy a small lightweight folding kiosk tents like they use at flea markets.....it'll save your butt from the heat big time well & worth it....
http://www.canopymax.com/

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-24-2006).]

#103338 - 05/24/06 03:50 PM Re: Sun Glare
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Be sure to make the hood from black, non-reflective cardboard so it absorbs all of the outside light. Mine is covered with black felt as well and velcros to the keyboard with tiny Velcro strips.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#103339 - 05/24/06 04:26 PM Re: Sun Glare
MrEd Offline

How about those tinted visors that you you can clip onto the car's sunvisor...If you can find a way to clip it on, you would be able to adjust the angle of the visor so that you can look under the visor or thru the visor.

What about those tinted bubble domes that snap on cycle helmets. i've seen those in stores for around $10.

How about the flip-up tinted plastic covers from the old floppy disc holders or the index card holders.

How about the individual plastic (tinted) Cd holders, just sitting over the screen.

I'm going to have to find a solution myself before June 17.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-24-2006).]

#103340 - 05/24/06 05:28 PM Re: Sun Glare
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks very much guys. I think I'll start by trying to make a cardboard shield to cover the screen.
Ciao,
Jerry

#103341 - 05/24/06 07:09 PM Re: Sun Glare
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MrEd:
How about those tinted visors that you you can clip onto the car's sunvisor...If you can find a way to clip it on, you would be able to adjust the angle of the visor so that you can look under the visor or thru the visor.

What about those tinted bubble domes that snap on cycle helmets. i've seen those in stores for around $10.

How about the flip-up tinted plastic covers from the old floppy disc holders or the index card holders.

How about the individual plastic (tinted) Cd holders, just sitting over the screen.

I'm going to have to find a solution myself before June 17.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 05-24-2006).]

Unfortunately, none of them will do a thing other than make the screen less visible. The problem is the type of display being used is for indoor use only, and it's the same display being used for the vast majority of laptop computers. I just installed a new GPS/Fathometer on my sailboat that is daylight viewable and uses supertwist technology. When sunlight hits the screen the colors become more intense and vivid. This is not new technology, but keyboard manufacturers, cellular phone manufacturers and computer manufacturers fail to realize that some of the products will be used outdoors. It never ceases to amaze me how many commercials are on TV that show someone using their laptop while sitting at a park bench. Try it sometime and you'll quickly discover that you cannot see anything on the screen.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#103342 - 05/24/06 07:30 PM Re: Sun Glare
Dnj Offline

You can block the Sun all you want with filters or what ever ....but, your not blocking Yourself & KB/gear from the Sun....thats why I Never Play in Direct sunlight.....either a canopy, over hang, umbrella, tent, covered deck, etc, etc its all in my contracts for outdoor gigs period!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online