SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#103142 - 08/08/02 12:32 PM What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
sunnycool Offline

Loc: india
What difference in sound can I expect using the Compressor and the Noise Gate?

#103143 - 08/08/02 01:10 PM Re: What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Sunny,
In theory, it`s supposed to "even - out" the highs and lows of your voice and give a more uniform sound between you and the "Y2K" . It works "ok" you`ll have do to some "tweaking" but all-in-all it`s not to bad. Try the "speedy mouse" thats a "blast"
I hope the day is finding you well,take care and best of luck !!
jedi

#103144 - 08/08/02 01:33 PM Re: What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
SunnyCool,

For the benefit of those who are still a little unsure as to what a compressor does, it simply reduces the difference between the loudest and quietest parts of a piece of music by automatically turning down the gain when the signal gets past a predetermined level. In this respect, it does a similar job to the human hand on the fader -- but it reacts much faster and with greater precision, allowing it to bring excessive level deviations under control almost instantaneously.

Dennis

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#103145 - 08/08/02 01:37 PM Re: What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Sunny,

I forgot to follow up with your second query.
Noise gates are most often used to eliminate noise or hiss which may otherwise be amplified and heard when an instrument is not being played. The threshold needs to be high enough such that the ambient noise falls below it, but not so high that the instrument's sound and sustained notes are cut off prematurely.

Dennis

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#103146 - 08/08/02 02:10 PM Re: What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
jedi Offline

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for clearing that up !
How do you get a realy good "vocal sound" from the "Y2K" ? ( I know , a good voice doesn`t hurt !! hahaha). I have "mess" with the settings and have had limited succsess that was the meaning of the "in theory" !! I still like "speddy mouse"hahaha !!
Take care,
jedi

#103147 - 08/08/02 02:14 PM Re: What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Jedi,
Does Speedy Mouse work o.k. for you, or did you have to use the editing work-around? It should be JUST the mouse voice, and you should not hear the lead voice.
Just curious if they fixed it in later OS.
DonM

#103148 - 08/08/02 06:50 PM Re: What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
jedi Offline

Hi Don,
I thought "Speedy Mouse" was ok , but your right you can still hear your own voice.
I always thought that it was supposed to do that. But now that you mention it , all the voices do the same thing.
Maybe if I had an external sound source and had it loud enough , it might not be as noticable.
If I try to have the KB loud enough then the KB voices are to "soft" it`s hard to get a good balance.
I hope this helps , my "ver." is "Main boot 1.03 " so if there is a newer ver. maybe it does work better !!
Take care, and best of luck with "Speedy"
jedi

#103149 - 08/08/02 07:38 PM Re: What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
I remember in an advertizement for the 2000 that it had a way of turning off your voice so that you could "sing in perfect pitch." I would think with the options mentioned that there must be a way of turning off the main mike channel and just hearing the VH voice or voices.

I told my wife about the feature before I bought it and she just looked at me and said that she already sings in perfect pitch. It is funny since she is completely deaf since birth and has never heard anything.

Jedi,
I understand about the good voice part. I have always said that it is not that I can't sing... its just that people don't want me to.

I'm going to my system now to try out the mouse. Arriba, Arriba. (from the cartoon).

- Brian

#103150 - 08/08/02 10:26 PM Re: What does the Compressor in the VH MIC Settings do?
sunnycool Offline

Loc: india
THANX A QUADRILLION GUYS.THAT REALLY HELPED

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online