SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#103093 - 11/18/05 12:42 PM Ever heard of an Amperite microphone?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The fellow rebuilding a motor scooter engine
for me just brought me an Amperite microphone. It was made in the USA, with a NYC indication. It is a large aluminum unit, shaped like an old airstream. Model # RBH?.
It is a high impedance unit, with on-off switch, integral threads for a stand, and uses the old screw-on cord connection. Just tried it, and it still works. The guy was just curious about it, so I told him I'd ask you folks.

Anyone heard of this brand? Any idea about when they were made? I suspect that they were probably used in house (non music) sound systems...maby bowling areas, groceries, etc.

Thanks,

Russ

#103094 - 11/18/05 12:59 PM Re: Ever heard of an Amperite microphone?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Vintage ribbon broadcast mics from the 50's..

#103095 - 11/18/05 03:31 PM Re: Ever heard of an Amperite microphone?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Russ:
I can remember seeing one way back when, but never used one. Sounds like it "might" have been a cow barn pa mike used to call the cows down in saragosa.

Got a scooter story for you. Its about my 1942 cushman(airframe). When I was 12 years old, my older brother bought it for me for 25 bucks in Martinez, Ca. He took the chain off and stuck the front wheel into the trunk of a humpback (37?) Chevy and brought it back home to Ariz. Well the rear tire wore off all the tread from the 800 miles of being dragged, and I needed a tire. My Dad had just bought a new const. wheelbarrow That had a road tire on it, after much pleading and jumping up and down, I convinced him that a wheelbarrow was'nt going that far, and the tire would probably outlast him. I traded, and pretty well wore out the new tire before the scooter got traded off for a Model A. MY dad passed away in 1969 and I inherited the wheel barrow. I used it in construction for years, never had to put air in the tire (not once). When my wife's dad passed away in 1987, cleaning out his tool shed I found a brand new tire in a box. So decided that it was fitting to give the barrow a new tire.
When I undertook the task of changing it, I got a suprise, there was no air in the tire, the rubber had turned to stone, and had to hacksaw off the old tire. The tire did'nt look any different than it did originally except for some cement stains. SOO, when it comes to Cushmans, even the tires were built to last forever. I figure about 45 years for that tire, and I've been sorry ever since that I cut its life short.... ....Pose

#103096 - 11/19/05 02:47 PM Re: Ever heard of an Amperite microphone?

Hey, "Rocket Scientist" (Love the job title!)

Cushmans are GREAT! We just got the frame back and are re-assembling the engine today.
Will paint the other parts this week.
Bought a 51' yesterday, and will get the Eagle before Christmas.

You'd be surprised at the number of clubs, rallies, etc. for a simple little machine that hasn't been made for almost 50 years.

GREAT STORY!

Russ

#103097 - 11/19/05 07:27 PM Re: Ever heard of an Amperite microphone?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Russ:
I'm green with envy concerning that eagle. I used to lay awake at night dreaming of a eagle when I was a kid. Must have been about 1951. Hope you get it before christmas, post a before and after.....Yeah

Pose

#103098 - 11/29/05 03:56 AM Re: Ever heard of an Amperite microphone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#103099 - 11/29/05 08:09 AM Re: Ever heard of an Amperite microphone?

Thankks so much Warren...and WELCOME!

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online