SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#102956 - 12/23/05 02:59 AM Yamaha Psr 295 or Casio Ctk 900
dazart Offline

Loc: England
A friend of mine would like to buy a cheap keyboard,these 2 I mention are at his price point.
He wants to use it for learning piano,so the piano sound and feel will be his first considerations.
If he does find that he takes to it he will later get a fully 88 hammer action keyboard but for now he wants to spend the bare minimum.

Any suggestions?
Regards
Daz

#102957 - 12/23/05 03:46 AM Re: Yamaha Psr 295 or Casio Ctk 900
Hugo H Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
dazart,
I've got a psr-295 and I'm happy with the sound, for the price. The feel is nothing like a real piano, however. Compared to my grand piano it's a toy. But you won't get a real feel in this price range.
A lot of folks also like the casio. It's a toss-up, really.
-hugo

#102958 - 12/23/05 04:54 AM Re: Yamaha Psr 295 or Casio Ctk 900
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dazart:
He wants to use it for learning piano,so the piano sound and feel will be his first considerations.

As Hugo said, the key feel of either of the two you mentioned won't be very close to an acoustic piano, although the piano "sound", especially on the Casio, is reasonable. If your friend is seriously considering playing piano (not "keyboard"), then spending more than "bare minimum" right now, if at all possible, could make sense.

If your friend can afford to spend about twice what the CTK-900 typically sells for, he might look at some of the Casio Privia models. They have true weighted key action, with 88 keys and good piano sound emulation. What they don't have is the extensive sounds that the CTK-900 or WK-series Casios include. The PX-100 lists for $649, but since it's being replaced by the PX-110 (same list price), it can probably be found for $400-450 (the PX-110 for about $50 more). Other models are higher.

Just a thought.

--Barry

[This message has been edited by quietDIN (edited 12-23-2005).]

#102959 - 12/23/05 10:04 AM Re: Yamaha Psr 295 or Casio Ctk 900
dazart Offline

Loc: England
Out of these 2 keyboards which of them would have the better key feel.
I have told my friend to go with the Ctk-900 as that would probably have the better key feel,but im only guessing due to the fact my Psr-3000 is useless when I perform piano style playing.I have a Roland Hp-107 for that.
He has seen both these keyboards in question for good prices and stated he will not spend any more money for one in case he does'nt take to it.

Thanks,
Daz

#102960 - 12/23/05 10:18 AM Re: Yamaha Psr 295 or Casio Ctk 900
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well I'd suggest the Casio to him. Reason is I think the CTK will sound better (if he's picky about sound quality at a lower level price range).

The CTK he's interested in shares the newer sound engine of the WK's.

The Yammie isn't bad for a beginner, but I'd take the CTK because it's going to offer him more (for learning). Example he can learn basic voice editing on the CTK. I think the CTK (could be wrong) has more indepth effects as well.

Personally I think Yammies sounds (aside from their killer sweet, cool, live, mega, and now SA voices) are pretty dull because they've been using that voice set for so many years now. Casio at least took the step and changed that with their newer models (because they've always been know for topping the cheese market).

Hopefully Yamaha will eventually (redo) their preset voices common to the PSR line.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online