SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#102278 - 02/01/01 06:33 PM HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Roel, Uncle Dave, DonM, and ALL,

I just purchased a Behringer brand: http://www.behringer.de/eng/products/digitalprocessors/dsp110.htm
Shark DSP110 multi function (vocal compressor, noise filter, feedback destroyer, noise gate, mic pre-amp w/phantom power) unit but am experiencing "noise" problems. The vocal compressor has two settings: 1) amount of compression from 0 (no compression) - 100 (max compression) and 2) compression speed 10 to 1000 msec. Problem is that when I set the amount of compression value to 10 or above, a continous electronic hissing sound suddenly appears. I'm wondering if this is a deffective unit or if this is just inherent in all (relatively inexpenisve $159 US dollars) Behringer model Shark DSP 110 units. Anyone else own or use a Shark DSP 110? Maybe I need to spend more money and get a higher quality compressor?

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good brand/model vocal compressor which also includes mic EQ, mic pre-amp, and phantom 48v power? I need one that is SMALL (can sit on top of my KN5000 keyboard (1/2 rack size or smaller)) and can be used for both live gigging as well as making demo recordings. One unit which I have heard good things about is the Joe Meek brand model VC3SQ ($299 US dollars). http://www.joemeek-uk.com/joemeek/products/vc3qinfo.htm
Anyone heard of or recommend this one?

I want to record another arranger keyboard (with vocals) produced MP3 song to share with you (my fellow Synthzone members), so I hope I can get some advice and recommendations on both purchasing a new vocal compressor (or getting my Behringer Shark DSP110 to work properly?) as well as finding out "how to" best set vocal compressor settings for optimal recording and live performance results.

Thanks in advance for all help and input,

Scott Yee

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-01-2001).]

#102279 - 02/01/01 08:50 PM Re: HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott,
Sorry I missed your call. The only one I ever used besides the one built into the PSR9000 was a rack-mount Yamaha unit. I don't remember the model, as it was several years ago. I don't remember any noise at all from it, and there isn't any in the 9000.
I'm sure you have double-checked all input and output levels, and are using good cables.
Other than that I can't offer much help.
DonM

#102280 - 02/01/01 08:55 PM Re: HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Scott,
Compressors are an evil entity. They can best be described as "temperamental". Of course after your session with the loud "hissssss" you may pick another word
The hiss is NOT a malfunction - it is simply the compresson "bringing UP" the noise floor. It doesn't know the difference between a good noise and a bad noise. The art lies in sending the proper signal to the unit and using the compressor to "wisely" adjust the peak levels. This is a science all it's own. A few general rules apply -
1) Less is more - don't overdo it or the sound will loose it's dynamic quality and sound squashed instead of fluid
2) Try limiting instead of compression - most often the offensive levels just need a little "rounding off" to present a smoother, more consistant product.
3) Don't use a compressor IN PLACE of proper mic technique - the same "garbage in - garbage out" advice aplies to vocals too!
4) Specifically - your voice doesn't seem to need too much processing - it's smooth and even. What end result are you after?
5) Try a ratio of 2:1 or 4:1 to start with. If that unit has a gate - set it so the gate shuts during silent passages and opes at your lowest breath - it's really clean up the track. If you do compress vocals directly, make sure you don't squash out all the dynamics - just work on the extreem ends; top & bottom. Good luck!

#102281 - 02/02/01 08:21 AM Re: HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Try limiting instead of compression - most often the offensive levels just need a little "rounding off" to present a smoother, more consistant product.

What exactly is a "limiter"? Does the Behringer Sharc DSP110 http://www.behringer.de/eng/products/digitalprocessors/dsp110.htm
unit include this "limiter" feature? What settings do you recommend I set the limiter to for optimal results for my specific voice and vocal performance style (per my MP3 recording of Route 66)?
Quote:
Specifically - your voice doesn't seem to need too much processing - it's smooth and even. What end result are you after?

Uncle Dave, thanks for the 'kind' words. My goal is to produce a professional sounding polished vocal/arranger keyboard mix. I wasn't sure if the vocal/instrumental balance & sound (on Route66) could sound more polished thru some type of vocal processing (compression,etc) on the front end or not.
Quote:
Try a ratio of 2:1 or 4:1 to start with. If that unit has a gate - set it so the gate shuts during silent passages and opens at your lowest breath - it's really clean up the track. If you do compress vocals directly, make sure you don't squash out all the dynamics - just work on the extreem ends; top & bottom. Good luck!

What vocal processor feature setting are you referring to when you say 2:1 and 4:1? When you refer too "gate", are you talking about a "noise gate"?

As you can see, I am a total "newbie" when it comes to recording & post recording sound work. Currently I record directly out from my keyboard (including my vocals processed thru the keyboard as well) onto a portable minidisc recorder. I then transfer my minidisc recording to my PC (Analog to Digital) for transfer to MP3 file using "Sound Forge" software. I'm sure there are more professional ways to attain my goals, but due to limited resources (both time/money), this seems the simpliest way to accomplish my task of producing audio CD & MP3 demos of my music (singing/arranger keyboard performances). I want to maximize the quality of my vocal sound "on the front end". I'm Currently recording vocals using an EV 757 mic plugged directly into my Technics KN5000 keyboard. I am currently looking for a mic-preamp (w/phantom power) so I can use my AKG C2000 condenser mic which I believe is a much better sounding (clarity) mic. I'm not sure if the Behringer Sharc DSP110 is the best for my needs (recording/performing), or if I should invest instead in a unit which focuses more specifically on a quality mic pre-amp section(w/phantom power), AND one which includes a "Mic EQ", compression and limiter ONLY. I notice that the Behringer Sharc does NOT include a "Mic EQ" which may be an important feature for tailoring the vocal sound on the "front end". One vocal processor I am also considering is the JoeMeek VC3SQ http://www.joemeek-uk.com/joemeek/products/vc3qinfo.htm

I am interested in getting feedback and receiving vocal processor product recommendations based on this.

Thanks in advance to all,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-02-2001).]

#102282 - 02/02/01 10:00 AM Re: HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
Organizer Offline

Loc: Maplewood, NJ, USA
The February, 2001 issue of Electronic Musician has an in depth discussion of compressors and limiter. The article is referenced as "EM's Ultimate Guide to Compressors."

Art

#102283 - 02/03/01 02:37 AM Re: HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
Roel Offline

Scott...., try to relax and give it some time to get used to the Sharc.

Uncle Dave is soo right : Let the DSP do its work at the extreme ends.
You do not need another DSP !!!

Roel

#102284 - 02/03/01 08:38 AM Re: HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
Scottyee Offline

Hi Roel & all,

I was finally able to determine the cause of the excessive hiss coming from my Sharc unit. I had my ElectroVoice 757 mic connected to the Sharc's "line-in" 1/4" jack and this was is in turn connected to my Digitech Vocalizer's "1/4 line-in jack" via the Sharc's "line-out" 1/4" jacks. The problem was that I had incorrectly set the "input/output" toggle switches on the Sharc to "line". Apparently I needed to set the "input" to "mic" instead. (boy I feel stupid now)

Roel, thanks so much for the email correpondance and all the advice and help you've given me in setting up the Shark DPS unit. BTW, per your advice, I have also switched from using 1/4" cables to XLR cables.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-03-2001).]

#102285 - 02/03/01 10:00 AM Re: HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
Scottyee Offline

Organizer,

Thanks for the referal to the excellent "Compressor" article featured in the February 2001 issue of Electronic Musician magazine. Boy, I never knew compressors could cost "that" much! ($4,000 US dollars).

I saw JoeMeek compressors listed but not the Behringer Shark DSP110.

- Scott

#102286 - 02/05/01 05:17 AM Re: HELP: Vocal Compressor Advice Needed
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Anyone got a link to the article on compressors?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online