Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#102239 - 12/30/04 06:11 AM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Mike, did it ever occurred to you that those governments simply don't have the money or the technical resources to install a "tsunami warning system", such as the ones that USA and Japan already have?

Well, here are the recent news: http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/28739/story.htm

As this is merely a declaration of intentions, under a strong emotional climate, there is a popular saying here: we only change locks when our house is robbed. The problem is only countries that have their basic needs fullfiled tend to invest is such an expensive detection system, when the probability that it will help to prevent a human disaster is so small.

All we can do now is help in every way each of us can, and think about the disasters we CAN minimize.

-- José.

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." - William Durant.

#102240 - 12/30/04 11:22 AM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
I wish this site would be totally religion and politics free.

Roy-Andrè: Unfortunately, I suspect that this isn't going to happen anytime soon. When I go downtown, I'm always acosted by a group of Mormons trying to get me to convert to their faith, or some guy on the street corner shouting out (on a megaphone) fire & brimstone quotations from the Bible. When I turn on the TV, it's Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson or Ralph Reed warning us that we will 'go to hell' if we don't abide by their brand of Christianity, of which includes sending them $, and this is followed by the monthly knocks at my door by the "Jehovah Witness, even though I had informed them long ago that I'm not interested. It's interesting to note that, both at home and on this forum, I've NEVER been approached (even once) by Budhists, Muslims, Hindu's, Jews, or Atheist's, in this manner.

Scott

#102241 - 12/30/04 11:47 AM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Scott, point taken, but when members choose user names like 'PraistheLord' etc, it's getting close to bible bashing on a site that is meant for completely other business. It's a way of sneaking in "the message".

------------------
Roy-Andrè

#102242 - 12/30/04 12:06 PM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA

which also says,

------------------------
Sunday's wall of water that hit coasts in Indonesia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka and other countries was spotted by US seismologists.

However, they said they had no way to warn local governments even though the tsunami hit shore up to two-and-a-half hours after the mega-quake off the island of Sumatra in Indonesia.

"We tried to do what we could," said Charles McCreery, director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Honolulu centre. "We don't have contacts in our address book for anybody in that part of the world."
---------------------

wish they could make local embassies aware of the situation.

#102243 - 12/30/04 12:30 PM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Roy-Andre...I agree. We'd all avoid problems if we just didn't address issues of religion
and politics.

Believe what you want, but let's keep it personal...too much ELSE to talk about...like ARRANGER KEYBOARDS!

Russ

#102244 - 12/30/04 12:34 PM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by shiral:
wish they could make local embassies aware of the situation.

Shiral: I agree. Strangely enough, with that 2-1/2 hour warning time, and with worldwide instant communication (internet & telephone) the way it is, I would think the NOAA should have 'at least' been able to contact immediately the Embassies of the Countries emminantly in danger of the approaching tsnami.

Quote:
Quoted from: Charles McCreery, director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Honolulu Center
We tried to do what we could. We don't have contacts in our address book for anybody in that part of the world.

Embassy phone numbers are freely assessible via telephone directory assistance as well as online telephone directories: http://www.city.narita.chiba.jp/english/living/chapter2/c2_05.html

I think many MORE facts will be brought to light as we begin to learn more about exactly what happened here. Looks like somebody dropped the ball at the NOAA.

In the meantime, the 114,000+ dead so far is only the begining of this disaster. The resulting disease will RAISE the death rate FAR higher.

Scott

#102245 - 12/30/04 12:50 PM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
royandreno Offline

125 000 and rising. Being a father of four, the yongest 16 mnths, it breaks my heart to see especially the suffering of young children, babies and parents. The horrendes pictures and stories are just undescribable. Let's dig deep in our pockets and give them a helping hand.

------------------
Roy-Andrè

#102246 - 12/30/04 01:12 PM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
PaulsPiano Offline

Loc: Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Grow up you guys (you know who you are) and stop your petty bickering about god and governments. Put your efforts into fundraising. As musicians this shouldn't be too difficult to do. Organize a benefit in your area regardless of how small. These countries need money, now and for a long time to come. As a keyboard forum we should be able to share ideas on how to do this successfully. My first step is to call every musician I know starting with well known local talent. Some have already started there own benefits but there cannot be too many. Death toll is now at 120,000 and rising each hour. So get on the phone!
Paul Noonan

#102247 - 12/30/04 01:23 PM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Quote:
Let's dig deep in our pockets and give them a helping hand.

Roy-Andrè: Yes, I agree; we should. I've done so.

#102248 - 12/30/04 01:25 PM Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia
royandreno Offline

Well Paul, if I'm one of the ones 'you know who you are', I can tell you that in addition to my bickering as you call it, I have donated a substantial amount of money as have many others SZ members, I'm sure.

------------------
Roy-Andrè

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online