Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia

Posted by: Scottyee

Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/28/04 05:24 PM

I hope that no Synthzone members were caught by the devastating Earthquake & resulting Tsunami that hit in South East Asia on Sunday. Knowing that our very own Synthzone member: "KN_Fan" Jonas' father & family live in South East Asia, I was relieved to hear that Kn_Fan's family are all safe.

I only hope there aren't any South East Asian Synthzone members or other SZ members who might have been vacationing there along the beaches at the time of the Tsunami, that suffered from this horrific tragedy of which took (estimated to be over 58,000+) so MANY innocent lives. I hope you all will join in praying for all the injured, the family & friends of the injuried and families who lost loved ones in this tragedy as well. I have donated a few humble dollars to the relief effort of which I hear is going to take many BILLIONS of dollars. Every penny will help.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-28-2004).]
Posted by: tigerfool

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/28/04 06:29 PM

My condolence goes to them!
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/28/04 10:36 PM

Oftentimes it takes a disaster to wake people up. Asia has no adavanced Earthquake warning system in place like the one in the Pacific Ocean and surrounding area has.

Since this devestating Earthquake and resulting Tsunami that has literally wiped villages off the map has occurred, there are now major plans to put in a similar warning system throughout Asia similar to the one that is in place in the Pacific. But unfortunately they're a day late and dollar short.

Asia and particularly around the islands of Indonesia have been a major hub of Earthquake activity for years on end. So even though the Countries of Asia have known this, they have done NOTHING to create a preventitive counter measure like the warning system in place in the Pacific Ocean. So the fault lies with them. No pun intended...

But for the mistakes and lack of foresight of others thousands have paid the ultimate price. It is a real shame, no doubt about it.

God help all of those involved in this disaster and the relief effort that is taking place.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-28-2004).]
Posted by: royandreno

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B]
Asia and particularly around the islands of Indonesia have been a major hub of Earthquake activity for years on end. So even though the Countries of Asia have known this, they have done NOTHING to create a preventitive counter measure like the warning system in place in the Pacific Ocean. So the fault lies with them. No pun intended...

But for the mistakes and lack of foresight of others thousands have paid the ultimate price. It is a real shame, no doubt about it.

God help all of those involved in this disaster and the relief effort that is taking place.

Best regards,
Mike
B]

1) Incredible comment at this moment in time.

2) God????
I can't believe people still believe in him after such disasters. If there were a god, he wouldn't let innocent children suffer in such a way that we've seen both now and in Beslan Russia earlier this year.

------------------
Roy-Andrè
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 06:24 AM

Mike,

I agree with Roy-Andre. I find your remarks totally insensitive and repulsive. I think you should delete them immediately.

I've been to Asia many times and have a great love for the countries and cultures there. My heart goes out to those poor fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends, and relatives who have lost loved ones.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 06:30 AM

I will never question God's plan. He has reasons for all things...even those we can't understand.
Posted by: The Pro

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 07:19 AM

If anyone besides God could be blamed with wiping out 60k+ people in such a cruel manner, 1/3 of them children, we'd think them insane and would be sending cruise missles. That's not counting the untold suffering yet to come. We were given free will and intelligence specifically so we could question such insanity... simply chalking a disaster of this magnitude up to a "Greater Purpose" would mean disregarding that. Either God had nothing to do with this in the first place or God had nothing to do with stopping it... either way, we lose. All we can say for sure is that God loves misery and company. Beyond tragic.
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 07:39 AM

There are countless moments in our history of events and tragedies that simply can not be explained. There are risks existing in virtually every location on the globe.

To try and justify or state "there must be a reason God allowed this to happen" defies logic or reason. Which is why religion is based on faith, I suppose.

Even the scientists are trying to fully understand the why's and how's with regard to its enormity.

Bottom line is no one likely has all the answers.

Some turn to their faiths, some turn to science, many try and turn a bit closer to both.

The images get worse and worse, the stories get sadder and sadder. And we know it will get MUCH worse before it gets any better.

Let's also hope that the political turmoil currently going on in that region can take a break and keep its fingers out of the relief efforts that will try to somehow restore some sense or normalcy to life there.

Bill in Dayton
Posted by: GoodGuy

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
If anyone besides God could be blamed with wiping out 60k+ people in such a cruel manner, 1/3 of them children, we'd think them insane and would be sending cruise missles. That's not counting the untold suffering yet to come. We were given free will and intelligence specifically so we could question such insanity... simply chalking a disaster of this magnitude up to a "Greater Purpose" would mean disregarding that. Either God had nothing to do with this in the first place or God had nothing to do with stopping it... either way, we lose. All we can say for sure is that God loves misery and company. Beyond tragic.

Not to sound condescending, but I don't think anybody here is an expert on religion or G-d for that matter.
Neither is this the forum for such a discussion.
However, as a religious person, I always get a laugh to see people obviously not well read in certain matters discuss it as if they were.
It is one thing to make a "guessumption" about new features being introduced in a new Keyboard. It is quite another matter to guess about critical matters which are the center point and foundation of society, things we are ignorant about, and then just make negative and harsh statements and leave it at that without actually seeking any answer or clarification.

If any of my fellow Zonesters would like to really delve into these matters there is a website I frequent which has loads of articles discussing suffering and explains a plethora of religious concepts. www.aish.org

Otherwise I suggest we stick to things we *do* know about -- Keyboards.

Bill - Your comments are well put.

Matt

[This message has been edited by GoodGuy (edited 12-29-2004).]
Posted by: KN_Fan

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 09:41 AM

Thanks Scott for your concern. Yes, my family is doing well. I don't think I even have any distant relatives in Sumatra at all.

One of our managers overseas (from the company I work for) had four casualties though. His daughter, brother in law&wife, plus the child were washed away in the flood. Tragic. We're working now to provide a relief fund for the country.
Posted by: awarenessengine

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 02:18 PM

Times like these do not need many words (there's no right or wrong), just to make a difference = a payment, doesn't matter how much...

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

Craig.

[This message has been edited by awarenessengine (edited 12-30-2004).]

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 02:53 PM

Jonas, good to hear you're working on a relief fund in the Portland, OR area. Craig, thanks for providing the Red Cross donation link: https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

I myself just accepted an invitation to participate (along with other Bay Area musician-entertainers) in a local benefit concert currently being organized for the Tsunami relief effort. All proceeds are going to the Red Cross. This is the time to come together to help out our global brothers & sisters.

Scott
Posted by: awarenessengine

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 02:54 PM

Nice one Scott!!!
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 08:27 PM

I just emailed my donation to the International Red Cross Disaster fund.
I would hope everyone would pop for a few bucks. 80,000 plus dead this evening news. Can you comprehend this?
They must have help from us.
Search your heart and wallet.
Best to all
Happy New Year to all
Bebop
Posted by: shboom

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/29/04 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I myself just accepted an invitation to participate (along with other Bay Area musician-entertainers) in a local benefit concert currently being organized for the Tsunami relief effort. All proceeds are going to the Red Cross.

Scott

Good on You Scott...I'm keeping my ears open for any similar events I can maybe partake in up here in B.C.
I think a benefit concert is a great idea.
Glad to hear KN_Fan and loved ones are okay.
------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 12-29-2004).]

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Mike,
I find your remarks totally insensitive and repulsive. I think you should delete them immediately.

My heart goes out to those poor fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends, and relatives who have lost loved ones.

Al, I was not saying the victims were at fault, I was saying the Goverment officials in the surrounding Asian countries who obviously lacked the 'foresight' to provide a warning system for their people were the ones who were at fault, i.e. the Government's and Heads Of States of the surrounding Asian Countries.

If you read my words carefully in my previous post you would have realized that.

The victims paid the ultimate price because lackadaisical Government officials apparently didn't think it important enough to install a Tsunami warning system thoughout Asia. It was a tragic and 'unnecessary' loss of lives. Hopefully this disaster will wake up the Government's of these Asian Countries and they will get busy and install a warning system soon so this won't happen again, at least not on the scale we saw with this Tsunami.

Btw, I too just donated to the Red Cross Internation Relief Fund. Let your hearts be the motivating factor to give to the relief fund. Your mind will 9 times out of 10 convince you to not give, e.g.: You don't have the money, you don't trust online businesses, what can my little bit possibly do, I can't be bothered, they'll do okay without any of my help, [insert your own rationalization here].

PS: royandreno, I am not saying God caused this disaster (as you should realize from the statements in my previous post). Nor should 'you' think God was in any way "responsible" for this disaster. What do you think anyway Roy, that God is somehow up there looking down on these Asian countries and all those poor innocent people and just decides to toss a few lightening bolts around in the direction of Sumatra because he has nothing better to do? Ridiculous! The cause of this disaster rests firmly on the shoulders of these Asian Governments who lacked the foresight to install a warning system for 'their' citizens. If the warning system was in place and operating properly this disaster could have been prevented, at least to a major degree anyway. These Asian countries have known for YEARS that major earthquake activity has occured on a repeated basis in those areas over a LONG LONG period of time yet haven't done anything about it, even after seeing with their own eyes, the benefits the Pacific warning system has been.

I can't understand why people think that when something bad happens God somehow did it or was at fault or why did he allow it, etc. Then again when something good happens God never gets any credit but instead it is attributed to luck, good fortune or something similar. I'll tell you why people do that, because they don't really know who God is. When they read the 'Manual' to who God is they will understand him much like you read the manual to your Keyboard and you understand how to operate it because the Manual explains the Keyboard in intricate detail and when you grasp its meaning you understand it and how it operates. It is the same with God's manual the bible.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-30-2004).]
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 01:30 AM

Mike, did it ever occur to you that those governments simply don't have the money or the technical resources to install a "tsunami warning system", such as the ones that USA and Japan already have?

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 12-30-2004).]

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Mike, did it ever occurred to you that those governments simply don't have the money or the technical resources to install a "tsunami warning system", such as the ones that USA and Japan already have?

If that is the case Andrea, then why is there now suddenly talk and plans in the making for doing just that, i.e. "installing a tsunami warning system" similar to the one that is in the Pacific? IMO it is not because they have lacked financial or technical resources (they could ask and could receive help not only financially but technically from other more prosperous Countries if they so desired), but also if they parlayed their resources together they should have no problem attaining their goal of a cohesive and effective warning system in the Indian Ocean and surrounding areas.

Besides, where there is a will there is a way I always say. Apparently the Governments didn't have the desire or will to do it. At least they didn't before this tragedy happened. Hopefully they have changed their minds. And as I said; there IS now talk of installing a early warning system. So obviously if they didn't have the resources they wouldn't be talking now about installing one, would they?

Best regards,
Mike

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:

PS: royandreno, I am not saying God caused this disaster (as you should realize from the statements in my previous post). Nor should 'you' think God was in any way "responsible" for this disaster. What do you think anyway Roy, that God is somehow up there looking down on these Asian countries and all those poor innocent people and just decides to toss a few lightening bolts around in the direction of Sumatra because he has nothing better to do? Ridiculous! The cause of this disaster rests firmly on the shoulders of these Asian Governments who lacked the foresight to install a warning system for 'their' citizens. If the warning system was in place and operating properly this disaster could have been prevented, at least to a major degree anyway. These Asian countries have known for YEARS that major earthquake activity has occured on a repeated basis in those areas over a LONG LONG period of time yet haven't done anything about it, even after seeing with their own eyes, the benefits the Pacific warning system has been.

I can't understand why people think that when something bad happens God somehow did it or was at fault or why didn't he stop it, etc. Then again when something good happens God never gets any credit but instead it is attributed to luck, good fortune or something similar. I'll tell you why people do that, because they don't really know who God is. When they read the 'Manual' to who God is they will understand him much like you read the manual to your Keyboard and you understand how to operate it because the Manual explains the Keyboard in intricate detail and when you grasp its meaning you understand it and how it operates. It is the same with God's manual the bible.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-30-2004).]

Mike, read my post! I don't want to start a religious battle here, but I never said God was responsible because I don't believe in God, period! I cannot think of anything that has caused so many wars and so much misery on this earth as has religions. In my sense religion is a product in peoples heads, based on fear of dying. I know lots of you, especially you US guys, are into God all the time, and frankly I wish this site would be totally religion and politics free. I believe people with good hearts is what this world needs, not religion.

------------------
Roy-Andrè

[This message has been edited by royandreno (edited 12-30-2004).]
Posted by: Zleepy

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 05:15 AM

I gave my fireworks money to red cross. I think it will serve lot better there.

The band my brother is playing (Rytmix) I've heard going to donate new year gigs money to red cross.

------------------
Tony

http://zleepy.cjb.net
Posted by: Route 66

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Mike, did it ever occurred to you that those governments simply don't have the money or the technical resources to install a "tsunami warning system", such as the ones that USA and Japan already have?

Well, here are the recent news: http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/28739/story.htm

As this is merely a declaration of intentions, under a strong emotional climate, there is a popular saying here: we only change locks when our house is robbed. The problem is only countries that have their basic needs fullfiled tend to invest is such an expensive detection system, when the probability that it will help to prevent a human disaster is so small.

All we can do now is help in every way each of us can, and think about the disasters we CAN minimize.

-- José.

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." - William Durant.

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
I wish this site would be totally religion and politics free.

Roy-Andrè: Unfortunately, I suspect that this isn't going to happen anytime soon. When I go downtown, I'm always acosted by a group of Mormons trying to get me to convert to their faith, or some guy on the street corner shouting out (on a megaphone) fire & brimstone quotations from the Bible. When I turn on the TV, it's Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson or Ralph Reed warning us that we will 'go to hell' if we don't abide by their brand of Christianity, of which includes sending them $, and this is followed by the monthly knocks at my door by the "Jehovah Witness, even though I had informed them long ago that I'm not interested. It's interesting to note that, both at home and on this forum, I've NEVER been approached (even once) by Budhists, Muslims, Hindu's, Jews, or Atheist's, in this manner.

Scott

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 11:47 AM

Scott, point taken, but when members choose user names like 'PraistheLord' etc, it's getting close to bible bashing on a site that is meant for completely other business. It's a way of sneaking in "the message".

------------------
Roy-Andrè
Posted by: shiral

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 12:06 PM

which also says,

------------------------
Sunday's wall of water that hit coasts in Indonesia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka and other countries was spotted by US seismologists.

However, they said they had no way to warn local governments even though the tsunami hit shore up to two-and-a-half hours after the mega-quake off the island of Sumatra in Indonesia.

"We tried to do what we could," said Charles McCreery, director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Honolulu centre. "We don't have contacts in our address book for anybody in that part of the world."
---------------------

wish they could make local embassies aware of the situation.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 12:30 PM

Roy-Andre...I agree. We'd all avoid problems if we just didn't address issues of religion
and politics.

Believe what you want, but let's keep it personal...too much ELSE to talk about...like ARRANGER KEYBOARDS!

Russ

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shiral:
wish they could make local embassies aware of the situation.

Shiral: I agree. Strangely enough, with that 2-1/2 hour warning time, and with worldwide instant communication (internet & telephone) the way it is, I would think the NOAA should have 'at least' been able to contact immediately the Embassies of the Countries emminantly in danger of the approaching tsnami.

Quote:
Quoted from: Charles McCreery, director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Honolulu Center
We tried to do what we could. We don't have contacts in our address book for anybody in that part of the world.

Embassy phone numbers are freely assessible via telephone directory assistance as well as online telephone directories: http://www.city.narita.chiba.jp/english/living/chapter2/c2_05.html

I think many MORE facts will be brought to light as we begin to learn more about exactly what happened here. Looks like somebody dropped the ball at the NOAA.

In the meantime, the 114,000+ dead so far is only the begining of this disaster. The resulting disease will RAISE the death rate FAR higher.

Scott

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 12:50 PM

125 000 and rising. Being a father of four, the yongest 16 mnths, it breaks my heart to see especially the suffering of young children, babies and parents. The horrendes pictures and stories are just undescribable. Let's dig deep in our pockets and give them a helping hand.

------------------
Roy-Andrè
Posted by: PaulsPiano

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 01:12 PM

Grow up you guys (you know who you are) and stop your petty bickering about god and governments. Put your efforts into fundraising. As musicians this shouldn't be too difficult to do. Organize a benefit in your area regardless of how small. These countries need money, now and for a long time to come. As a keyboard forum we should be able to share ideas on how to do this successfully. My first step is to call every musician I know starting with well known local talent. Some have already started there own benefits but there cannot be too many. Death toll is now at 120,000 and rising each hour. So get on the phone!
Paul Noonan

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 01:23 PM

Quote:
Let's dig deep in our pockets and give them a helping hand.

Roy-Andrè: Yes, I agree; we should. I've done so.

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 01:25 PM

Well Paul, if I'm one of the ones 'you know who you are', I can tell you that in addition to my bickering as you call it, I have donated a substantial amount of money as have many others SZ members, I'm sure.

------------------
Roy-Andrè

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulsPiano:
Grow up you guys (you know who you are) and stop your petty bickering about god and governments. Put your efforts into fundraising.

Paul: I hope you weren't refering to me, but just in case you were . . . in addition to having made a financial contribution, as I already mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm also particating, as a featured entertainer,in a local benefit concert currently being organized by my local community . . . all proceeds going to the Red Cross. I encourage everyone here (if at all possible) to please donate your help (in whatever way you can) for this cause. - Scott

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 02:07 PM

Yes, that's a nice thing to do Scott!

Shiral
Posted by: KN_Fan

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 03:35 PM

I'm confused- I read somewhere that in Jakarta, certain areas are hit by the flood also (some houses were drowned, etc)? I thought that this was only affected Sumatra? Not that I don't believe the story, but just a bit confused.

I know, however, that the water system/infrastructure in Jakarta is poor which a slight elevation in sea water level may cause a light flood (probably up to your ankles or knee) but nothing that would be dangerous.

The company I work for donates 100,000 PLUS matching any contribution by the employees and we'll still do another donation for our affected employees overseas. I'm going to poll some money and fund raise a little bit too on behalf of my own department. Sorry, no musical performance like Scott though. Unless I want my friends to donate money for me to STOP playing (little joke to lighten the mood).
Posted by: Keyboardcapers

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 04:06 PM

I was never brought up to be religious, and it’s been a long time since I had faith in anyone or anything. But knowing my son and his wife were on holiday in Thailand, I never prayed so hard in all my life for there safety.

There is enough mayhem, suffering and heartache in this world, so why are you musicians arguing to whose right or wrong.

The money donated may help the people in the earthquake country and to put them on the road to recovery, but money doesn’t bring you happiness. May I take a quote from Roy-Andrè ‘I believe people with good hearts is what this world needs’.

I would like to send my deep felt sympathy to all affected in this crisis.

Thank you Tony Mads in USA for your kind thoughts in synthzone the other day.

Keyboardcapers
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/30/04 05:27 PM

... you're most welcome ....
.....here in little rhody, Feinstien is matching the first $10,000 contributed .... he'll have our contribution tomorrow ...
t.
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/31/04 07:18 AM

In our household, we held a dinner meeting to discuss how we as a family are going to react to this disaster. I encouraged each of my 3 children to come up with an appropriate reaction for themselves and for the family. Although my two youngest children aren't working, they offered to donate money from their savings accounts. I offered to match their offer. My oldest who is home from college has been working during Christmas Vacation and donated some of his hard earned money.

They now understand giving until it hurts. I have pledged to donate all the money I make this evening for New Years eve.
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/31/04 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
In our household, we held a dinner meeting to discuss how we as a family are going to react to this disaster. I encouraged each of my 3 children to come up with an appropriate reaction for themselves and for the family. Although my two youngest children aren't working, they offered to donate money from their savings accounts. I offered to match their offer. My oldest who is home from college has been working during Christmas Vacation and donated some of his hard earned money.

They now understand giving until it hurts. I have pledged to donate all the money I make this evening for New Years eve.

OUR WORLD NEEDS MORE FATHERS LIKE THIS ONE!!
BEBOP
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/31/04 07:47 AM

kbrkr, you're raising some GREAT KIDS!

And that speaks volumes about what a great father and person you are.

Respectfully,

Russ
Posted by: Tony W

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 12/31/04 08:18 PM

With regard to religion, I can understand why many people get a bit ticked about the seemingly constant, in your face brand of Christianity prevalent on the zone (and most place else to be fair)these days. Like Scott says only Christians tend to see the need to evangelise anywhere and everywhere (and mostly unsolicited)and it gets a bit much at times. That is not what I come here for. Sorry if that offends anyone but there it is.

With regard to the original thread topic, this is truly a disaster and makes me realise how very lucky I am that all I have to worry about is religion being discussed on a music forum.

On the news today I saw a young couple carrying their children in their arms after having searched for them for over 24hrs. 'How lucky they are' I thought.... until the newscaster told us the children were in fact dead.

These are real people who are carrying home their dead children / wives / husbands and that is only if they have managed to find the bodies in the first place. The agony must be unimaginable and is heartbreaking.

Like Scott says we must all do what we can to help. It is not too often I get to feel proud of my country these days but in less than a week the British public have already collected in excess of £45 million (about $85 million) to aid the disaster fund. The organisers say that donations are currently coming in at the rate of about £1million an hour.

It proves to me that at times like these we can and should be able to put aside all our differences and pull together to help those who need it..... no strings, no judgements, no politics or religion, just human beings helping each other to get through the toughest of times.

If I had a real wish for 2005 it would be that we could all learn to conduct ourselves with the same love, compassion and concern in the good times as well as the bad.

Best wishes
Tony

Re: Tsunami Disaster in SouthEast Asia - 01/01/05 01:59 PM

That's really great kbrkr!

Shiral