SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102049 - 05/11/05 07:01 PM NAT- Multi Track recording
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hello,

For the completion of my studio (btw, its half way sheetrocked and will be finished sheetrocked thursday!) I will need a mixer with at least 6 XLR inputs and 2 or more mono inputs where i will then send the outs to my computer for multitrack recording where each channel on the mixer will be its own track on my computer. I will be using Cool Edit Pro as my recording software. I imagine i will need a 24bit PCI recorder as well, but I think i need a special one for multitracking. Heres the mixer i plan on using.. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/631231/
and PCI... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/240390/

I have about a 350 dollar cap on a system (mixer and recorder) Any suggestions, input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 05-11-2005).]

#102050 - 05/11/05 08:41 PM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
Smurf Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a UB802 mixer, and just love it. I have had great luck with the Behringer stuff, and think it’s a good deal for the price.

As for the soundcard, I have read a lot of reviews about it, including the ones on the MF site, and I would say they are 70% negative about this card. I wanted to upgrade my SB PCI512 before I started my next project, but I decided against this card. I think I am going to go for the Delta 44 with the break out box.

Anyway, IMHO I would save a little more for a better card.

#102051 - 05/11/05 11:47 PM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
hi!
i use UB 802 from behringer too! great stuff indeed! i am happy with it. i use a behringer b1 mic, is pretty good and sensitive enough, doesn t colour the voice too much, i have CEP2.1 and cubase SX2, and a delta audiophile 2496 audio card.

everything goes fine togheter!
if you need more inputs for the audiocard, i recomend m-audio 1010lt from delta.

good luck!

#102052 - 05/12/05 04:16 AM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Pennywiz6, I'm looking for a PCI card myself. How about this one instead? It's rated much higher and it's the same price range for you.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=rec/s=computer/search/detail/base_pid/701378/

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#102053 - 05/12/05 01:17 PM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks for all of your tips and reccomendations. Is it possible to do multi tracking with what I plan on getting? What i mean is when i plug the output from the mixer to the input of the soundcard i will be able to have each channel from the mixer record as a seperate track onto cool edit at the same time. I dont see how it is possible unless i had the same number of PCI inputs as channel outs.

I like the delta, however theres a couple cons about it. Im not too fond of RCA inputs and it is 96khz, which is a little lower than the other one. It is a little older, but when new it was worth a lot more. I might be able to extend that 350 into 400, if for 50 bucks more i can get something that much better.

Thanks,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 05-12-2005).]

#102054 - 05/12/05 02:01 PM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
In that price range, I would look at the Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio. It is $300 and you can record up 4 channels simultaneously. I have a similar unit from Protools but this unit didn't exist when I bought mine. There are several reviews and lots of ratings on the MF site: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/245505/

I have never seen or used this system but I have a Lexicon reverb and a delay from them and they make the best effects processors you can buy so I assume they wouldn't put their name on it if it were garbage.

If your budget were bigger, I would recommend a Mackie Onyx board with a firewire interface. That would record each channel onto your computer digitally. The Onyx preamps rival the quality of those on my Allen & Heath board--which cost 6 times as much. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/634267/c_lv=1/

If you want a really bangin' recording, make sure you get someone to master it. That will take something that sounds like a home studio recording and make it sound like what you hear on the radio. I think discmakers.com will send you a free demo cd of what their mastering labs can do.

Good luck and make sure you post a link of some of the songs you record so we can hear them!

#102055 - 05/12/05 02:28 PM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
Pennywizz6 Offline

Does each of the 10 inputs of the Delta 1010 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/701376/ serve as a different track when recording?

Thanks,

Phil

#102056 - 05/13/05 12:24 AM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
yes. all the inputs (audio) of a 1010lt can be used at once to record audio signal, each one on an individual track in your rec software.
if you have two outputs, that you can record at the same time only two track (usually left and right)
using delta 1010lt you can record up to 8 tracks, indivicualy, at the same time.
that is pretty much...

about 24 bit 96 khz, let me tell you is no way to feel the difference between this and 192...
and keep in mind, a cd supports 44,1khz, 16 bit.no more than that!

this issue of 24/192 vs. 16/44,1 is not that important after all. a good piece of music recorded at 16/44,1 sounds always better compared to a pour music recorded at 24/192.

rather than hardware, your music speak!!

#102057 - 05/13/05 04:55 AM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
Pennywizz6 Offline

Tahnks for the input, i think ill either go with that, or a Moto 828II and mix internally. Is there i big difference between digital, and more of an analog mixing?

Thanks,

Phil

#102058 - 05/13/05 08:27 AM Re: NAT- Multi Track recording
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Well, I would say that digital mixing is a pure mathematical thing instead of analog mixing which is a more physical way of mixing. I know that many of the musicians in here won't agree (especially people out of Netherlands ) but you'll loose dynamics by using digital channels only. I would advice you to use analog signals as long as it is possible in your studio.

Compare DDD with ADD and you'll hear the differences. ADD sounds much more animated as DDD where you'll miss the dynamics. Why do you think do modern studios often use tubes in their equipment before mastering?

For example: I'm mixing all tracks down with my analog mixer. All external effect channels are organized as analog channels. My complete sub-mixing channels are analog channels. So, I'm using the big 'A' of ADD...
Then it comes to the recording (out of the mixer's master channel in to the sound card's AD converters). This is the first big 'D' of my CDs which provides the last big 'D' (yes, it's the medium itself). In my opinion the modern digital systems are absolutely overwhelmed with functions they'll never get fitted...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online