SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#101851 - 03/10/04 02:03 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Alex,

I would love to see a 76 note version myself. I don't know of any plans at this point, but you never know. I will say that the feel of the 61 note keyboard is very good. The keys are full size in length and width and they are leaded to add mass which allows for a much better dynamic response.

I will check into the dealer situation in Phoenix and let you know.

Best Regards,

Dave

#101852 - 03/10/04 02:16 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I'm still NOT convinced that Yamaha's SUDDEN elimination of the 'repeating' fill to self (via footpedal) feature on the Tyros alone, was an 'intentional' design change decision on Yamaha's part, as Steve Deming (Yamaha USA) contends. If so, then it signifies a BIG 'step back' for Yamaha's arranger keyboards, as this feature is a crucial element to presenting a truly 'exciting' LIVE performance.

Scott

Sadly Scott I believe Steve Deming when he said it was a "design" decision on the part of Yamaha Japan to leave this feature off the Tyros. I'm not sad that Steve told the truth of course but I am sad that Yamaha chose to leave off the Repeat Fill to Self feature using a common foot pedal. Now here is my reasoning for backing up Steve's reply to us.

Okay, the Tyros has a unique setup window in the Function Menu for the MFC10 Foot Controller, right? The Tyros has the ability to fully integrate an MFC10 Foot Controller to use with the Tyros. Everybody staying with me so far? Okay, the MFC10 Foot Controller allows the Repeat Fill to Self feature. If you own an MFC10 Foot Controller and hook it up to the Tyros you are able to activate the Repeat Fill to Self by holding down the MFC10 pedal as much as your heart contents just like you can with a common foot pedal (inexpensive ones like the FC4, FC5, etc.) on the PSR 1000/1100/2000/2100/9000/9000PRO, etc.

The reason (and I think I'm correct) is that since Yamaha coded in the MFC10 Foot Controller integration into the Tyros' OS - "there is a whole separate tab for setting up the MFC10 Controller" - which took some time and effort for Yamaha's Software engineers to do, that naturally Yamaha wants the owners of the Tyros to purchase an MFC10 Foot Controller. Hence the reason 'why' they left this feature off using a common foot pedal like Yamaha's own FC4 or FC5 foot pedals. The repeat fill to self will only work with an MFC10 Foot Controller. So how much does the MFC10 Controller cost you may ask? How about $279 on a good day when some retailer is having a sale. It is quite expensive as far as Foot Controllers go.

So you see, since Yamaha put in the time, effort and "cost" coding in the Tyros' OS implementation of using their own MFC10 Foot Controller, it is the "logical" and 'only' reasoning IMO behind their decision to 'eliminate' the repeat fill to self feature using any common "inexpensive" foot controller; as Yamaha IMO wants every owner of the Tyros who desires the repeat fill to self feature to buy an MFC10 Controller. Plain and simple.

So yes, Yamaha intentionally did it and it is a marketing ploy instigated by Yamaha to sell "Parts", ie., more of 'their' Hardware to customers and in this case Tyros owners. The MFC10 costs substantially more than Yamaha's FC4 foot pedal - [$30 or so]. And selling as many MFC10 Controllers to as many people as they can, can only increase their profit margins to a greater degree. It's "ALL" about money IMO. Plain and simple.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 03-10-2004).]

#101853 - 03/10/04 03:17 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
since Yamaha coded in the MFC10 Foot Controller integration into the Tyros' OS -Yamaha wants the owners of the Tyros to purchase an MFC10 Foot Controller. Hence the reason 'why' they left this feature off using a common foot pedal like Yamaha's own FC4 or FC5 foot pedals.

Sorry Mike, but I don't buy that reasoning whatsoever as the Tyros keyboard's predecessor's: the PSR9000 and 9000pro, both also include the same dedicated MFC10 setup & configuration window, yet they both allow you to trigger a 'repeating' fill via a simple single foot pedal switch as well.

Quote:

So how much does the MFC10 Controller cost you may ask? How about $279 on a good day when some retailer is having a sale. It is quite expensive as far as Foot Controllers go.

Well Mike, I actually 'did' purchase the MFC10 foot control unit when I owned my PSR2000 keyboard, but quickly got tired of having to drag around such a cumbersomely heavy (7 lbs- 11 oz) and large (24 x 8 1/4 x 2 1/4 in) brick!. There's absolutely no reason why one should have to buy one, especially if you only need it for the repeat fill feature alone. In addition to being clunky & heavy, navigating its many foot switches can be quite disconcerting.

In conclusion, I'm 'still' not convinced Yamaha 'intentionally' removed the foot pedal activated 'repeating' fill to self feature on the Tyros alone, that's unless their intention was just to get 'my' goat. I'm more convinced than ever now that the omission was due merely to a software programers oversight, and which could & should be easily corrected via OS update. Sorry for sounding so blunt, but for Yamaha to simply ignore a 'legitimate' complaint is unexuseable.

Scott

#101854 - 03/10/04 03:45 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Scott,

I didn't realize that both the PSR 9000 and 9000PRO had a MFC10 setup and configuration window on them so your point is well taken and may indeed be just the result of a Programmer's oversight. So does that mean that Steve Deming really did fib to us?? Sometimes an employee has to tell a white lie because his higher up's insist on it or he could end up getting canned if he doesn't adhere to their strict orders.

So Steve I understand if that was the case, but you know, with your skills you could have still gotten a job with one of Yammies competitors.

Ouch!! Sorry if that 'sword' pierced a little too deep (like God's Word does) but I know you did it against your will if indeed you did have to fib to us.

Best regards,
Mike

#101855 - 03/18/04 12:48 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
So does that mean that Steve Deming really did fib to us?? Sometimes an employee has to tell a white lie because his higher up's insist on it or he could end up getting canned if he doesn't adhere to their strict orders.

As the Assistant Manager of 'Customer Support' for Yamaha USA Keyboard I only EXPECT Steve Deming to live up to his job title commitment of providing 'customer support', and that means not only listening to, but going to bat (if required) for his US customers as well. If he sees something which is truly wrong or missing on a Yamaha keyboard (as of which the missing foot pedal activated 'repeating self fill' on the Tyros, surely is, and of which most all all of you must surely concur), I believe it's his responsibility to do 'whatever possible' to see that the problem gets addressed & corrected. Steve Deming's initial response to deny any problem at all , and now to simply ignore my request for an update or resolution altogether, is particularly troubling to me, especially since it will soon be a whole year since I initially brought up this legitimate Tyros specific problem. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-18-2004).]

#101856 - 03/18/04 03:11 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
trtjazz Offline

Scott
I have to say that I am somewhat troubled as well by what appears to me to be a growing sort of myopia at Yamaha. I believe the same is true for the MoES as well the prevailing attitude seems to be ...."what problem, there's no problem."

Big mistake Yamdudes & dudettes.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online