SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#101841 - 12/10/03 08:21 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Still waiting for the "Repeat to Self Fill" feature to be implemented in the Tyros Steve. Btw Steve Deming; you said Yamaha Japan didn't implement it into the Tyros because it was a "design decision". What made them decide that? What was their reasoning behind their decision? FYI (I'm sure you are aware of this Steve) Yamaha didn't implement it because the Tyros has an option for the MFC10 foot controller integration in the Function Menu on the Tyros as we all know. Yamaha wants to sell the MFC10 to each and every Tyros owner if it could hence the 'reason' behind their decision IMO. I agree with you Steve that Yamaha will NOT implement it in the Tyros through an OS update because it would be a bad business decision on their part because they want to sell the Tyros' owners a $300 piece of equipment over the "simple" pains it would take to provide an OS fix allowing a 'common' foot controller to be used to activate the "Repeat to Self Fill" feature. And as we all know Yamaha or any other Keyboard Manufacturer for that matter thinks of their 'bottom line' first and the customer sits way down on the totem pole as to what is important to them - (apparently).

Btw Steve, we haven't heard much from you lately. I hope all is going well for you and your family. I would hate to think you got the axe from Yamaha but seeing they are still trying to recuperate from a financial downturn from a few years ago stranger things have happened. I hope that is not the case. Especially being let go during the Holiday season. That would really hurt.

PS: My interest in the "Repeat to Self Fill" function using a common foot controller is even greater because I now own a Tyros. Who knows maybe someone at Yamaha Japan's Music Division has a big heart and WILL provide an OS fix allowing the Repeat to Self Fill feature on the Tyros. Sometimes kindness and generosity takes precedence over the 'bottom line'. I know it's rare Steve, but it does and has happened before. Btw, merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Steve. That is IF you're still at the helm of Yamaha's Product Customer Support in Buena Park, CA. and are STILL reading posts from this Forum. If you got axed from Yamaha and could care less about what goes on here at SZ anymore then of course all these words are falling on deaf ears. I KNOW they're falling on deaf ears at Yamaha Japan. At least for now.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-10-2003).]

#101842 - 12/10/03 10:28 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Mike, thanks for 're-surfacing' what I consider an IMPORTANT Tyros issue. Wow, it's been 6 months now since I initally raised this topic issue here, as well as personally with Steve Deming (Yamaha USA), and have yet to hear word of a Tyros OS Update to address this problem.

Regretably I'm becoming increasingly resigned to the fact that Yamaha (out of corporate arrogance?) feels that they can simply 'skirt the issue' by saying it was a conscious 'design change' decision on Yamaha's part (we know better), resulting in lowering their operating costs & further maximizing Yamaha's profits.

I'm 99.99% convinced that the foot pedal activated auto loop 'fill to self' problem is simply due to one line of OS programming code that got overlooked (or entered wrong) by a Yamaha programmer, and would take only a few minutes of Yamaha's time to correct. The Tyros already supports flash ROM OS updating, so 'what's the problem'?

I'm probably the loudest voice here in expressing how much I LOVE the Tyros, but Yamaha's continueing deaf ear to admiting & correcting the Tyros missing foot pedal activated auto loop 'fill self' feature, is troubling at best. I really don't think I'm expecting to much. I just expect a top of the line arranger like the Tyros to include what is 'already included' in the REST of its arranger keyboard lineup.

Scott

#101843 - 12/12/03 10:31 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Hey guys,

Thanks for your well wishes Mike, and congrats on the Tyros. I'm still here, and I haven't forgotten about this issue. I try to get on Synthzone as well as several other sites every day, but it's been pretty busy around here lately. I'm still hopeful about this feature addition, but I can't promise anything.

Remeber the Reason for the season. I hope you all have a great Christmas and a abundant blessings in the New Year!

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America
YCASupport@yamaha.com

#101844 - 12/12/03 01:40 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaUS1:
I'm still here, and I haven't forgotten about this issue. I'm still hopeful about this feature addition, but I can't promise anything.

Hi Steve, I'm really grateful to hear that you haven't forgotten about this issue, and hope you'll continue to remind Yamaha Japan how IMPORTANT this feature is to so many Tyros owners (such as myself), especially those of us who have become accustomed to having this on all other Yamaha arrangers: PSR2000, PSR2100, 9000pro, PSR9000, etc.

Wishing you and your family a happy holiday and the best in 2004. - Scott

#101845 - 03/10/04 09:33 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I hate to say it, but the ONLY, ONLY, reason that I have not upgraded to the Tyros is because of the continuous fill problems. I do live performances using custom beats only, and I simply will not be able to perform them with the Tyros.

As soon as Yamaha fixes the problem, I will be getting an upgrade.

I hope that motivates you!!!

Chony

Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaUS1:
Scott,

It was not a mistake, it was a design decision. I have already passed along your comments, but from past experience, I can tell you that with so little interest from existing and potential Tyros customers, this is not likely to happen, unless it's real easy to slip it in with something that is already in the works.

#101846 - 03/10/04 10:03 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Dnj Offline

Chony...I would love to hear some of your songs....do you have a website?

#101847 - 03/10/04 11:28 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I hate to say it, but the ONLY, ONLY, reason that I have not upgraded to the Tyros is because of the continuous fill problems. I do live performances using custom beats only, and I simply will not be able to perform them with the Tyros.

Chony, I'm glad to hear that you, as another 'live' performance arranger keyboard musician, echo my sentiments.

I'm still NOT convinced that Yamaha's SUDDEN elimination of the 'repeating' fill to self (via footpedal) feature on the Tyros alone, was an 'intentional' design change decision on Yamaha's part, as Steve Deming (Yamaha USA) contends. If so, then it signifies a BIG 'step back' for Yamaha's arranger keyboards, as this feature is a crucial element to presenting a truly 'exciting' LIVE performance.

I challenged Steve Deming (Yamaha USA) to give me a single legitimate reason why Yamaha needed to eliminate this on the Tyros alone, and he still has'n't been able to give me even 'one'. I've come to the conclusion that Yamaha refuses to acknowledge problems in order to avoid their responsibility to correct them. The ridiculous thing about this particular issue is that it could have been 'quickly & easily' resolved in far less time than it took for me to go over the problem here on Synthzone in the first place, with just a simple OS update, ammending or adding perhaps just a single line (or two) of software code.

I remain very disappointed with Yamaha's obvious disinterest in even acknowledging this as an issue. Afterall, it's been over NINE (9) months since I first brought up the problem both here and to Steve Deming (Yamaha USA) directly. I'm sure there are many here who may care less about triggering a 'repeating' fill via footpedal, but you have to at least acknoweledge that this remains a powerfully useful feature, giving us live arranger keyboard performers the ability to take our act to a higher level.

Steve Deming (Yamaha USA), as I haven't heard any news from you on this, other than your promise (back in July 2003) to forward my concern to Yamaha Japan, I'm hoping you'll take the time to provide us with an update on the situation. Thank you,

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#101848 - 03/10/04 11:37 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Anonymous
Unregistered

FYI

Scottyee,

Just for fun, I tried the pedal fill-in on the Genesys Pro and it works the way most of the posts are talking about. As long as the pedal is held down, (any type of sustain pedal) the fill continues to repeat.

Another neat feature is if you also use a pedal for start/stop, the drums are brought back in without the accompaniment tracks until a note/chord is played on the left side of the keyboard. This makes for a nice way to have a break and bring things back in gradually.
-------------
tony mads USA,

The Genesys Pro has the Dynamic Arranger function that you liked so much on your KN1000. This function has actually been on the GEM WK series for years. I am glad it is still included on the Genesys as it is a feature that I use quite a bit.

Dave McMahan
Nat'l Product Support Mgr.
Generalmusic USA

#101849 - 03/10/04 12:49 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
FYIScottyee,
I tried the pedal fill-in on the Genesys Pro and it works the way most of the posts are talking about. As long as the pedal is held down, (any type of sustain pedal) the fill continues to repeat.

Dave, thanks for confirming that the Genesys Pros works this way. I even recall that my Technics KN5000 arranger keyboard worked this way as well. This only substantiates the FACT that this has been a long accepted & expected arranger keyboard feature, and that to find it suddenly missing on the Yamaha 'Tyros model' alone, very troubling . Why can't Yamaha just fess up' & acknowledge the problem and correct it thru a simple OS update patch?!

Scott

#101850 - 03/10/04 01:34 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Dave,

I understand Genesys Pro is a nice keyboard. However, do you know of any plans to make a "Pro Pro" version with 76 keys? Looking at the picture of the 61-key "Pro" it appears that you guys could have easily fit in another octave without changing the chassis (and affecting the weight too much). The lack of 76 keys is pretty much a show-stopper for me, especially for a "Pro" instrument.

Also, do you know if there are any dealers in Phoenix, AZ area, where I can take a look at this instrument?

Thanks,
Alex

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online